Re-applicant advice- is my app different engough from last cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snitchseeker88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm reapplying this year. I got 3 early interviews last year. I've been contemplating applying this year or waiting until next cycle. Since I've been working on my personal statement/new LORs anyway, I could apply this year, but I'm wondering if my application will be different enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks moto_za! I am leaning towards applying this year, but wanted some more advice.

Does anyone else have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep finding stuff to do for the ECs so you can at least put a start date on a few new activities when you submit!

Were you able to get any feedback from the schools who rejected you? It would be great to show them how you specifically addressed what they told you if they did give feedback.

Changing the way you present your application can make a huge difference. Maybe a stronger personal statement, listing your activities better on AMCAS, or doing better on secondary essays, more/different preparation for interviews. I added a few meaningful activities before I reapplied but I think the best thing I did was understand my motivations better and present myself much better. Along with applying as early as I could.

Now, I am headed to med school this fall!!

I think you could definitely be successful without waiting another year.

Go for it! The big thing is the shadowing and that seems like it is new this year. Schools take this into huge consideration after they have weeded through the GPAs and MCATs. Also are you applying to the same schools?

Definitely reapply

Your app is slightly better, and was good enough the first time. What you really need is to work on interviewing skills - that was most likely what was keeping you out last cycle if you obtained 3 early interviews.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I really appreciate it. I think all of you are right, I think better presenting my activities on AMCAS, and working on my interview skills more would really make a difference. I think I better understand the application process now, so I think it will really help. I think another problem of mine was that I'm a CA resident and I applied to a lot of OOS schools that were public and less likely to accept OOS applicants than private ones, which was a problem. So to answer Vegas' question, I'm applying to some of the same schools, but other new ones as well. I'll also keep doing stuff over the summer so I can put that on my secondaries as well.

So you have the classic CA applicant problem.
Nice stats, but nothing to stand out in that competitive pool.
Your app really hasn't changed all that much, but you should apply again this year. If your heart is set on a CA school, you really need to get that MCAT up to be more competitive.

Apply to CA schools, but think of them as long shots and don't really count them when considering how many schools to which you should apply. Look at the private schools that don't care about state residency.
Pick out 20-30 that you could see yourself attending.
Go all in so you don't have to apply again next year.

Also, get some feedback from the schools that rejected you.
Make sure you don't have a poor LOR or anything like that.

:luck:

Thanks for the advice Gman. I definitely have the "CA resident problem." I think the biggest changes in my application this year besides just having more volunteer/research hours is shadowing which I didn't really have last time (my main shadowing experience last cycle was when I got to view some medical procedures while volunteering) and my internship, because I didn't really have any major leadership experience, but through this internship I've organized events on campus and was head intern which really taught me a lot and gave me good leadership experience. So hopefully that will help a little.

Last edited: