Re-applicant early application experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For re-applicants who applied early the second time around- did anyone have a significantly different experience obtaining interviews in spite of your overall application not improving significantly and not changing your application strategy? If so, can you share how early /late you applied each time and how many interviews/offers you received each time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you choose to re-apply without significantly improving your application? What do you think held you back from getting accepted this last cycle?

Re-applying without improving your application is a really really risky strategy. If there's an obvious red flag in your application, you want to fix that before you apply again. Adcoms at the schools you already applied to will look at your previous application to see if you improved on your deficits.

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you choose to re-apply without significantly improving your application? What do you think held you back from getting accepted this last cycle?

Re-applying without improving your application is a really really risky strategy. If there's an obvious red flag in your application, you want to fix that before you apply again. Adcoms at the schools you already applied to will look at your previous application to see if you improved on your deficits.

My question is a hypothetical. One should always strive to improve their application as much as possible before re-applying, duh. :yawn: Just looking for data from those who re-applied early without significantly changing their application. Whether it was smart for them to do so is another discussion all-together, to be had in another thread.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My question is a hypothetical. One should always strive to improve their application as much as possible before re-applying, duh. :yawn: Just looking for data from those who re-applied early without significantly changing their application. Whether it was smart for them to do so is another discussion all-together, to be had in another thread.

I see. Well, I know some people who had decent/strong apps but didn't get in their first attempt because they applied so late. By applying early their second cycle, they received more interview invites and were ultimately accepted.

Common sense would say that those who applied early the first time and then re-applied early the second time without any significant changes will most likely not see a change in the outcome.

To quote Albert Einstein, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Sometimes the thing that held someone back can be poor interviewing skills and/or a bad school list. Both of which aren't related to a poor application.

Reactions: 1 user
I reapplied, with a strong application and sent in secondaries quicker. I just got rejections quicker. Interviews came around the same time: late October - December

Reactions: 1 user
I reapplied, with a strong application and sent in secondaries quicker. I just got rejections quicker. Interviews came around the same time: late October - December

about the same number of interviews as first time?

about the same number of interviews as first time?
I don't know. My first interview was to my top choice. I got accepted before Thanksgiving and withdrew from about 15 programs I hadn't heard from.