Re-Applicant in SMP Program... What now???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumbajumba

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I applied as a senior in college (with junior year grades), cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.56 with 512 MCAT and received 2 II (both MD schools with one of them being Miami Miller) but not being able to come off either of those waitlists. During the same year, I struggled with some family stuff and holding two jobs as well as applying, that my senior year grades slipped significantly and I ended with a cGPA 3.65 and sGPA 3.46, MCAT still the same. I had an upwards trend prior to senior year and this is probably a red flag for adcoms. I took a gap year and worked an entire year, trying to figure out how to go on from there. Recently I got accepted in BU's SMP program for 2020 fall and I'm intending to enroll. My biggest dilemma now is if I should apply again now before the program starts or wait until after the program ends next year??

Pros for applying now: I have most of my essays written and if I do get in, I can save an extra gap year's time.
Cons for applying now: schools will only see first semester grades at best, and it'll be December before I can update them with my final exam grades

Other info:
Research: 1000+ hours and first author publication
Shadowing: ~100 hours (including abroad)
Volunteering: ~120 hours
Paid Medical Work: ~800 hours
Plus a full gap year of paid work

Basically are my current stats competitive enough to apply for lower-tier MD schools now with the knowledge that I'm also enrolled in a rigorous SMP program? I have full confidence that I'm able to achieve at least a 3.8 in the first semester of BU's SMP program.

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying now means you wouldn’t have the benefit of SMP grades to counteract the downward trend. You could apply broadly to MD and DO without the SMP and see where you end up, but just being enrolled in an SMP will not boost your application.

Most people will probably tell you not to reapply, and for good reason. Applying right after an unsuccessful cycle without significant changes in the glide year will typically be a bad idea. However, I did just that, and was successful. After an unsuccessful cycle (where I received two IIs as well), I enrolled in a post-bac, and applied the summer before starting the post-bac. I heard nothing, but after I sent my first semester grades (4.0) to my top choice school, I ended up getting an II, and eventually an A. I also got another II which led to a WL, but I withdrew before I could hear anything back.

My advice would honestly be to go for it. If you're in no particular rush, or might want a break after undergrad + an SMP, then wait a year, and your chances will go up significantly. However, if you don't want to take another year off, then apply. Chances are, it will be a waste of a few thousand dollars and a significant chunk of time, but if you do get in, that's a whole year of your life saved (which you could think of as a year of a salary as a practicing physician... which is hundreds of thousands of $$$).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
With regards to applying or not applying this cycle, make sure that whatever you decide to do does not impede your ability to earn a high GPA in your SMP. Struggling in an SMP would confirm concerns that an adcom may have and make future applications that much more challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people will probably tell you not to reapply, and for good reason. Applying right after an unsuccessful cycle without significant changes in the glide year will typically be a bad idea. However, I did just that, and was successful. After an unsuccessful cycle (where I received two IIs as well), I enrolled in a post-bac, and applied the summer before starting the post-bac. I heard nothing, but after I sent my first semester grades (4.0) to my top choice school, I ended up getting an II, and eventually an A. I also got another II which led to a WL, but I withdrew before I could hear anything back.

My advice would honestly be to go for it. If you're in no particular rush, or might want a break after undergrad + an SMP, then wait a year, and your chances will go up significantly. However, if you don't want to take another year off, then apply. Chances are, it will be a waste of a few thousand dollars and a significant chunk of time, but if you do get in, that's a whole year of your life saved (which you could think of as a year of a salary as a practicing physician... which is hundreds of thousands of $$$).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks Kevin for your advice! I really appreciate it. What pool of schools do you think would be a good fit this time around? I believe my biggest mistake the first time was not having enough "safety" schools as most were my average or reach.

Thanks Kevin for your advice! I really appreciate it. What pool of schools do you think would be a good fit this time around? I believe my biggest mistake the first time was not having enough "safety" schools as most were my average or reach.

What schools did you apply to last cycle?

UNC, ECU, Wake, UWash, WashU, Emory, UIllinois, Tufts, BU, Georgetown, Miami Miller, NY Medical, Drexel, UPittsburg

I'd significantly expand that school list. Some schools to consider applying to:

Albany
Colorado
Creighton
Eastern Michigan
Eastern Virginia
Einstein
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
GW
Georgetown
Jefferson
Kaiser Permanante
Loyola
MC Wisconsin
UMiami Miller
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Seton Hall
Toledo
Tufts
Tulane
UCF
UMass
Virginia Tech
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
Wright

Not a comprehensive list- there's some more you might want to consider applying to, and by no means do you need to apply to all the schools I've listed. But if you're gonna form a new school list, this would be a start.

What is your state of residence? UMass and UW are non-starters if you aren’t a resident.

Reactions: 1 user