Re-applicant, should I bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phiona

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently waitlisted at one in-state school but not very optimistic so I'm gearing up to reapply. I'll try to keep it short.

3.5 cGPA/sGPA (they are just about the same). MCAT x2, 27 then 30. MI resident. Completed apps to five schools this past cycle, interviewed at one, waitlisted.

Pros: scribe for 3 years, chief scribe for one year. Volunteering with Red Cross for just over 3 years, logged probably 400 hours by now doing blood drives and office support.

Good LORs from office manager at ARC and a DO in the emergency department. A third from chair of biology department at my undergrad (took his class).

Cons: Transcript is not the prettiest. Total of 4 Ws sprinkled throughout. Cs in organic chem (no excuses, but prof was a hardass). Retook orgo II and got a BA. I didn't bother with clubs or anything, I pay my own bills so I have had to work a lot. Oh, and I never did any research. Kicking myself for that.

What's changed: getting another LOR from the orthopedic surgeon I've been working with for a year (he knows me well by now and assured me he would write me a strong letter). Will also get one from the medical director of my company. Probably going to overhaul my personal statement. Have continued to volunteer. Took two classes this spring as a post-bacc, but got completely blindsided by a C in the only one that matters (virology). Thought I was getting a BA at the very worst so I'm pretty upset about it. Got an A in the other one.

I was feeling alright about re-applying with the new LORs and re-doing my personal statement, but I feel like that C just totally destroyed me. Should I even be considering applying again or should I look into an SMP? Should I re-take my MCAT? (second attempt was in January 2015, just before it switched to the new version)

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance of a MD school acceptance unless you are URM. Where did you apply this past cycle and where are you on the wait list? You are a competitive candidate for any DO school so if you reapply apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive an acceptance.

I applied to all Michigan schools except U of M as well as U of Toledo and Rosalind Franklin.. I think I was offered secondaries to everywhere except RF. Should have applied DO as well, which I plan on doing this time around. The wait list I'm on is unranked (they say) so I have no idea where I stand or how many people are on it.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly have a chance for MD schools (50%) but it would be higher if you apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July AND apply broadly to many more schools. I suggest:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school for 2017)
And also apply to at least 10 DO schools.

You certainly have a chance for MD schools (50%) but it would be higher if you apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July AND apply broadly to many more schools. I suggest:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school for 2017)
And also apply to at least 10 DO schools.

I agree with this. Just five schools is too few given the upward trend of GPA and MCAT of matriculants these days.

However, what I would really suggest is that you don't apply right now. I would suggest that you take a year or two off, do some (paid, hopefully) research, and reapply after that. You've identified a major weakness in your application (no research), so take the time to fix it before applying again.

I think you're fine. Just keep pushing!

Thanks everyone for the replies. A research job is something I've looked into, would definitely have to be paid though.