Re-Applicant: too late for SMP? DO application list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighterday2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re-Applicant in need of some serious help. I applied this cycle and received 2 DO II (rejected) and 1 MD II (waitlist). At this point I am leaning towards re-applying to specifically DO school. Based on my application I think the main hinderance was my gpa. If anyone can give me insight to maybe DO SMP linkages for this year (I know its super late) and maybe a reapplication school list that would be great. Here are my stats.

cGPA: 3.1 and sGPA: 3.0
MCAT score and breakdown: 502 (125/125/125/127)
State of residence: Maryland
Ethnicity and/or race: 27, AA female
Nontraditional: 5 gap years, completed part of a post-bacc program in Vermont but left for financial reason
Major: Community Health
Clinical experience: ~4000 hours in a FQHC in Vermont as a medical assistant. Working in primary care, pediatrics, OB/GYN, and acute care. ~1500 hours in dermatology office as a medical assistant. ~1600 Clinical research associate in smoking studies and most recently COVID related work.
Non-clinical volunteering: (500 hours) in New York hospital, contributing to visits in the ED and training other volunteers on delivering compassionate bedside care. Teaching fellow with a girls health education program which I am very excited about!
Research experience: (1000 hours) extensive research experience in reproductive medicine. Performing immunohistochemical nerve staining and ligation projects on uterine arteries of rats. Assisted in publication of research presented at national conference of reproductive investigation
Shadowing experience: (~3000 hours) during my clinical work experiences, assisting in the surgical removals of skin cancers, performing biopsies, cosmetic procedures
Leadership: Starting a leadership role as a teaching fellow hoping to impact the lives of young women and girls in underserved communities to be empowered and advocates of their bodies.
Extracurricular activities: Division 1 student athlete, four year starter, earned full scholarship sophomore year during a financially difficult time, 2 conference championships, 2 NCAA appearances
Aspirations: Really passionate about OB/Gyn with hopefully specializing in reproductive oncology/endo. Also want to work in urban underserved communities specifically with minority women to provide reproductive education w/ a public health focus.

And is it a reach to apply MD or should I just forgo that all together?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should definitely continue to apply MD. As a fellow reapplicant, the one thing I've learned about this process is that literally anything can happen. Yeah, the numbers aren't good, but otherwise there are some really solid experiences which one can only hope an adcom will appreciate. A co-worker of mine had a similar MCAT and got accepted at Michigan St (MD), MCW, and Wayne St. Because of the GPA though, probably should apply to more DO than MD programs.

I guess before I give any real advice though, have you not applied yet for the 20-21 cycle? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how many cycles have you been through already? Whether it's DO or MD, I think it's critical particularly for you to get apps in early af. If you can do that I think you got a shot.

I am currently in the process of applying right now to finish and submit by the weekend. Hoping to get everything verified quickly or as quickly as possible all things considered. This will be my 2nd application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oof. Yeah, it would have helped a lot to have the primary done sooner, but I'd at least say apply to more DO than MD this time--I think you can get in to either, but likely you will get picked up by a DO program (obviously). Because you're a little behind, and waiting to get verified is going to push you farther back in line, I would strongly recommend pre-writing your secondaries.

You should be able to receive interviews at several DO schools and I suggest applying to all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
TUNCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
Noorda-COM (new school)
You could also receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these :
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
U Maryland
West Virginia
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.

You should be able to receive interviews at several DO schools and I suggest applying to all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
TUNCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
Noorda-COM (new school)
You could also receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these :
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
U Maryland
West Virginia
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.
Thank you for your feedback do you think I should apply to an SMP or am I okay as is. The major change in my application is the clinical research experience.

Not a complete reach since the OP is waitlisted at an MD program (though rejected from the two DOs). Reach out to SNMA chapter officers and get some feedback.
Thank you for your feedback. Where can I find a link to SNMA chapter officers?

Thank you for your feedback do you think I should apply to an SMP or am I okay as is. The major change in my application is the clinical research experience.
You do not need to do a SMP. You could take undergraduate level science courses at a local college to raise your sGPA in case you need to reapply. Apply to all the schools I listed and you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need to do a SMP. You could take undergraduate level science courses at a local college to raise your sGPA in case you need to reapply. Apply to all the schools I listed and you should receive several interviews.
Would it matter if I take it at a 4 year college vs community college (money is tight especially since I’m going through this app process again)