Re-applicant with little clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turpulus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
Verbal 10, Physics, 11, Biology 15, Essay Q

Undergraduate Major Biopsychology, BCPM GPA 3.47, AO: 3.74, cGPA 3.63

Master's Degree: Toxicology, Graduate BCPM GPA: 3.63, AO: 3.54, cGPA 3.56

Post bac Undergrad: BCPM GPA 3.93

Went to U of Michigan

I have about 5 years of professional pharmaceutical research experience. Over 10 years of medically related research experience. For 2012, I was not accepted anywhere. The main concern the schools had was that I did not have enough clinical experience, even though my research was conducted at a hospital, I had little patient interaction. I have been volunteering in the ER since May, which will give me patient interaction and physician shadowing experience. Basically, I'm wondering if it is enough. I can't really quit my job and volunteer at the ER 24/7, but I know I'm up against people who have decades of volunteer work. Last year, without the volunteer experience, I received interviews at 4 schools: Tufts, Ohio State, NJMS, and Wayne State. I was waitlisted at all 4. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of hospital systems in Michigan that are willing to allow volunteer experience once a week. It's easy to get, especially at UM hospital. If you are waitlisted, there are plenty of things you can also do to get off the waitlist as well, just look up creative things to prove that these are the places you really want to attend. Have you not shadowed a physician? I shadowed and volunteered at night as well. The ER at most hospitals would love someone to take on a 4 hour volunteer shift to help move patients and take care of family members.

I've been doing 4 hour night shifts at the ER in New Jersey where I currently live. I do about 4-6 hours a week. I'm more concerned with them expecting a decade of consistent volunteer work.

Members don't see this ad :)
With those stats, I am surprised you only received 4 interviews. How many did you apply to total?

I applied to over 20 schools last year. I should mention that I was very late in getting everything in, so I feel that was a contributing factor. I don't think my application list was too top heavy. I just think the lack of clinical experience and the lateness messed everything up. I probably have around 50 hours in the ER as of today. How many hours are they expecting from me? I'm doing about 4-6 hours every weekend. Only way to increase that would be to quit my job and volunteer full time.

Also, is my GPA ok? I was in undergrad from 2001 to 2004 and that feels like a lifetime ago. I like to think I'm a lot smarter now than I was then. Do they weigh the GPA less heavily for those who have been out of school for awhile like I have?

I would bet that your late application was a reason you didn't get more interviews, and the lack of clinical/volunteer experience or something else that occurred during the interview had to do with the waitlists. Just curious, how did you answer the question of WHY you didn't do any volunteering over all those years of research? Volunteering a couple hours a week in something that has meaning to you doesn't take much effort. It doesn't even have to be at a hospital.

I don't think you need to quit your job to get in more volunteer hours - it's supposed to be something you do around your everyday life. Do the hospital volunteer hours show up on your application at all? Any what about straight up shadowing? Are you doing that as well? Do you address it?

Your GPA and research experience look fine from this end, especially if you're applying to a wide range of schools, including in-state and middle-tier.

I just wanted to get people's opinions again. My stats are at the top of the post. I completed all of my secondary applications by mid August. I received a handful of rejections. I received 2 interview invites so far and completed one of the interviews at Wayne State where I got waitlisted. I have another interview at Wake Forrest in December. I've applied to 37 schools and I haven't heard back from the vast majority of them. However, people who applied after me to some of these schools are getting interviews and getting acceptances. I've called these schools and they keep telling me that my application is under review. Am I basically in the "reject later" pile at these schools or do I still have a shot at them? Should I start applying to more schools in anticipation of a later rejection from the other schools? Thanks.