Re-applicant, would greatly appreciate some guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inertia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SNDers! =D

I am a second year re applicant who would greatly appreciate some advice and guidance on my current application process.

First off let me tell you a little bit about my situation. I graduate last may with a 2x majors in Biochem and psychology. I was one of those late bloomers (No activities and all c/c+s my freshmen and sophomore year.) I matured much later then my fellow peers and it was not until the middle of my junior year that I finally got my act together. I frantically played catch up, taking around 20+ credits a semester and doing as many activities that I could manage and ended my college career with the following stats. Everything was pretty much done the last year and a half minus the internship.

3.35 GPA 3.15 BCPM GPA
33M Mcat
3 doctor shadows with roughly 100 hours total
70 hours of Hospital volunteer
1.5 years of research for credit, but no pubs
Random community service club with moderate participation
2 intramural sports leagues
2 consecutive summer internships at a Major pharmaceutical

Although I was told that my chances were very slim due to my extreme lateness I thought I would give it a try anyways (you never know right?)
I was not eligible for my schools committee interview till late in October and my applications were not fully completed and received till around the end of October. I applied only to a measly 5 schools, due to the low likelihood of acceptance and in order to save some money for reapplying.

Since I graduated I have been working full time at a gene bank that is part of a university . Starting from march I have also started volunteering at a local hospital in a pathology lab. I took an undergrad class at university due to free tuition for staff and received a b+.

My questions are:

1. Would it be beneficial to show schools the undergrad class I took this fall postbac even though I only received a b+? I took the course b/c i was very interested in the subject yet the material was slightly over my head. Would I be better off not mentioning it?

2. I am currently in the process of finishing my AMCAs for submission and I dreadfully afraid of being late but I am absolutely a horrendous writer and I still need a little bit more time on my personal statement. I look to get in my AMCAS before July. Would I be considered late by then?

3. I look to volunteer more hours at the hospital now that my class is over and am looking to start patient transport on top of pathology lab very soon. Currently I have only 50 or so hours since march yet I plan to have 200+ more hours by the end of this year. Is there anyway to show schools this intent?

4. For about half the activities i have listed on my AMCA i have had a recommendation. Should I have a recommendation for every activity I have participated in in order to show authenticity?? Also for the AMCA activities section, is it expected that I list activities such as intramural sports?? I have done a fair share of activities that are not relevant to medicine including amature bodybuilding shows. Should I list any of these or would it be a waste of space???

5. I currently have two new very good recommendations from my current supervisors and look to have more coming in. I am doing my recs through my Health professions office and I was wondering if I should have them release my letter packet from last year with my committee letter and my new recs right now or should I wait till I have all the letters I am going to have for this cycle. I look to have an addition two more but I probably will not be receiving them till mid July.

6. How realistic should my expectations be for this year and what can I do right now to better my chances? I am having a real hard time gauging where I stand in the whole process. I don't know many other premeds and after reading many posts here on SND the past couple of years and seeing profiles on mdapplicants.com I don't feel very confident in my application. I know I am not a great applicant but do I stand a fighting chance this year?

Sorry for such a long winded post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Would it be beneficial to show schools the undergrad class I took this fall postbac even though I only received a b+? I took the course b/c i was very interested in the subject yet the material was slightly over my head. Would I be better off not mentioning it?

You have to report all college classes, so you don't have much of an option.

2. I am currently in the process of finishing my AMCAs for submission and I dreadfully afraid of being late but I am absolutely a horrendous writer and I still need a little bit more time on my personal statement. I look to get in my AMCAS before July. Would I be considered late by then?

July isn't June, but July is still much better than October. You'll be in the middle of the pack. Make sure you get the secondaries in really quickly.

3. I look to volunteer more hours at the hospital now that my class is over and am looking to start patient transport on top of pathology lab very soon. Currently I have only 50 or so hours since march yet I plan to have 200+ more hours by the end of this year. Is there anyway to show schools this intent?

Don't put down future activities on AMCAS, but if it is something you have started already, you could briefly mention it. You can also send an "update" letter to schools after you submit AMCAS and as you get more experiences.

4. For about half the activities i have listed on my AMCA i have had a recommendation. Should I have a recommendation for every activity I have participated in in order to show authenticity?? Also for the AMCA activities section, is it expected that I list activities such as intramural sports?? I have done a fair share of activities that are not relevant to medicine including amature bodybuilding shows. Should I list any of these or would it be a waste of space???

For the LORs, outside of the academic ones, you only need one, maybe two. Activities is done on the honor system with contact info on AMCAS. Schools don't want too many LORs, especially non-academic ones. Read up about the specific requirements for letters from each school.

Sports, if mentioned, should be brief and should show some level of commitment. Maybe you could condense the sports into one activity box.

5. I currently have two new very good recommendations from my current supervisors and look to have more coming in. I am doing my recs through my Health professions office and I was wondering if I should have them release my letter packet from last year with my committee letter and my new recs right now or should I wait till I have all the letters I am going to have for this cycle. I look to have an addition two more but I probably will not be receiving them till mid July.

Don't delay your application for non-academic letters.

6. How realistic should my expectations be for this year and what can I do right now to better my chances? I am having a real hard time gauging where I stand in the whole process. I don't know many other premeds and after reading many posts here on SND the past couple of years and seeing profiles on mdapplicants.com I don't feel very confident in my application. I know I am not a great applicant but do I stand a fighting chance this year?

You have a chance. You need to be very thoughtful in your school selection process, be timely in your apps, and have a well written PS, and be well prepared for potential interviews.

People with a similar GPA and MCAT have a 51.3% acceptance rate to MD schools. (that means at least one acceptance out of all of the schools they applied to)

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

Hey hobbes thanks for the detailed reply!

Well the class was actually an undergraduate course for an un-matriculated graduate program i am in.(we have to be in one in order to take courses and take advantage of the free tuition).

The transcript office also gives us a choice whether or not we send our graduate records. If this is the case would it be beneficial to show my B+? and do I still have to report this un-matriculated graduate program since it is no longer for my college courses? If so would it go under graduate programs for colleges attended even though I have no intent to go into the graduate program??

Btw: This is still the same guy as up top, i just found the login for my old account though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to report it and send in the transcript. There's a section in the AMCAS help that explains these situations. If it's an undergraduate course and you're a non-degree seeking graduate student, it still goes into your undergraduate GPA calculation. You can look this up for clarification, but I was in a similar situation.

Thx for the clarification startswithb. Since you were in a similar circumstance did you report the school and course as a postbac program or did you report it as a grad program?