Re-Application Buds ~~~~JULY~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAMS

in the scheme of things
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AMCAS July 1, this is probably a good month, secondaries haven't started going out, and we're not under stress for MCAT.
Anyone else taking the August MCAT???

Members don't see this ad.

Not retaking. Seems every time I take that stinkin' test something happens - first time mono, second time my 6 year old son was getting shot by idiots with beebee guns the week before (terrorized him beyond belief - charged those stupid kids with 4 felonies a piece). a 29 is OK with me at this point.

BTW: I submitted on the 8th, transcripts received the 13th, aacomas MAILED OUT MY APPS on the 16th (wow!), and amcas was processed on the 20th. So they're moving swiftly.

ingamina said:
I submitted my AMCAS July 1, this is probably a good month, secondaries haven't started going out, and we're not under stress for MCAT.
Anyone else taking the August MCAT???
hey ingamina,

didn't you get into mcgill med?

Members don't see this ad :)
DubZteR said:
hey ingamina,

didn't you get into mcgill med?

Waitlisted - no word yet.... Can't wait forever, ya know? Are you reapplying???

I'm retaking the mcat in august too. I'm waiting on my amcas until after I meet with the Dean of admissions for an exit interview on the 13th.

rachmoninov3 said:
I'm retaking the mcat in august too. I'm waiting on my amcas until after I meet with the Dean of admissions for an exit interview on the 13th.

Well good luck!! I'm waiting to hear about a 9 month MPH program I applied to, if I get in, that may mean I will take the MCAT in New Hampshire.. so I may wait until the last day to register for it..

I just know I will do better this time than I did before. My first MCAT, the first two pages stuck together, and I skipped a passage in the verbal. I was half way through before realizing my circles were off... :confused: :eek: :scared: Frantically erasing and recircling.. it kinda threw me off. I still did well, but I really want to optimize my score.

Good luck to you!

I'm retaking in August, got the same exact scorer in Aug 04 and April 05. Very frustrating, but I'm studying more this time so I hope to break 30.

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

ingamina said:
Waitlisted - no word yet.... Can't wait forever, ya know? Are you reapplying???
yah i hear ya! Fortunately, things worked out for me this year but I definately know what you're going through. Keeping my fingers crossed for you !!!!! :)

DubZteR said:
yah i hear ya! Fortunately, things worked out for me this year but I definately know what you're going through. Keeping my fingers crossed for you !!!!! :)

Ya, I see it now, Upstate NY! Good Choice! I won't be far - Vermont/ New Hampshire this next year - hope to get in to either UVM or Dartmouth '06. That would be in a perfect world... Well good for you, knock 'em dead!! hahaha

ingamina said:
Ya, I see it now, Upstate NY! Good Choice! I won't be far - Vermont/ New Hampshire this next year - hope to get in to either UVM or Dartmouth '06. That would be in a perfect world... Well good for you, knock 'em dead!! hahaha
cool vermont is not that far away at all. what are you going to be studying there? There's still hope for McGill .. it's only july !!! Have you tried calling them to see how much of the class is unfilled?

DubZteR said:
cool vermont is not that far away at all. what are you going to be studying there? There's still hope for McGill .. it's only july !!! Have you tried calling them to see how much of the class is unfilled?

I'll be getting an MPH at Dartmouth. I'd kill to get into their MD program, so it gives me an opportunity to get involved more with the faculty. So that's goal #1 right now. I met with the admissions folks, and they are super. I love the whole philosophy of the school, A cry in the wilderness.

McGill is a good school, and program, but I would prefer to stay in the states. I had a good time visiting, but I was placed 17th on the waiting list.. For 10 slots, that's pretty slim. I was still working on my prerequisites, which had something to do with it - I just finished Organic Chem and Physics, and I was really nervous for my interview - said a lot of stupid things - but it was the best learning experience. Layed things in perspective and gained a whole lot of humility on what this is all about. It's easy to get overly wrapped up in the mode of I'm so good, please choose me!

Anyhow, if McGill or WF were to accept me, I don't know if I would or could accept. I've already aligned my backup plans.. and for a shot at my dream school.. well, I wouldn't call it greed, but I really want to love my medical school years.

Weren't you deciding between some Canadian schools? Why did you decide Upstate?

ingamina said:
I'll be getting an MPH at Dartmouth. I'd kill to get into their MD program, so it gives me an opportunity to get involved more with the faculty. So that's goal #1 right now. I met with the admissions folks, and they are super. I love the whole philosophy of the school, A cry in the wilderness.

McGill is a good school, and program, but I would prefer to stay in the states. I had a good time visiting, but I was placed 17th on the waiting list.. For 10 slots, that's pretty slim. I was still working on my prerequisites, which had something to do with it - I just finished Organic Chem and Physics, and I was really nervous for my interview - said a lot of stupid things - but it was the best learning experience. Layed things in perspective and gained a whole lot of humility on what this is all about. It's easy to get overly wrapped up in the mode of I'm so good, please choose me!

Anyhow, if McGill or WF were to accept me, I don't know if I would or could accept. I've already aligned my backup plans.. and for a shot at my dream school.. well, I wouldn't call it greed, but I really want to love my medical school years.

Weren't you deciding between some Canadian schools? Why did you decide Upstate?
ahhh good stuff. :) It sounds like you're really going to enjoy your time at Dartmouth !!!!

My first choice for medschool was McMaster in Hamilton, Ontario b/c I wanted to be close to my bf and my family and minimize debt incurred from school but unfortunately things don't always work out the way you want them to. This was actually my third time applying to medschool in Canada (first time in the US) and at best I was waitlisted at McMaster in 2002 but never accepted. I still can't figure out how I manged to get on the waitlist in 2002 b/c I said the stupidest things back then (I was 21 and it was my first med school interview ever) yet this yr ... I was flat out rejected post interview (My McMaster interview came after having already attended my Upstate and NYU interviews). The only thing I can think of is that I look really young so that tends to work against me in these type of situations. Also goes to show how much luck there is in the process especially since McMaster doesn't require the MCAT.

In general, I'm fed up with the Ontario medical schools (having tried 3 times) and as things stand, will not be returning to Canada to put back into a system that didn't want me to begin with !!!!

I can understand why you would want to stay in the US and I'm really thankful that schools in the US have given me a chance rather than just the PFO letter. I ultimately chose Upstate over NYU because of the location and cost. I would like to see my bf every week so at least if I go to Upstate, then I'll be 3.5 hours away from him instead of 8 hours for NYU. We are going to take turns commuting until he can move down with me (hopefully at the end of first yr). Upstate tuition is cheaper and the living expenses in Syracuse are also half of what they would be in NYC and not to mention the admission folks and students at Upstate were the coolest I'd seen so that's a real bonus.

Some of my friends have said that I should have gone to NYU, and attended my interviews at other "bigger" schools b/c these schools have better match lists and will match me to better programs but I think ultimately it's what you make out of your 4 yrs. I'm currently interested in Orthopedics or Plastics and at Upstate this yr, there were 8 students who matched to ortho and 4 who matched to integrated plastics (1 to yale, 1 to penn both very good programs) so it can be done :).

I remember reading somewhere that you have a partner? if so is he relocating with you?

I'm submitting my AACOMAS Friday once the bank releases my check. I'm also signing up for the August MCAT.

I lucked out the department got behind on their hiring paperwork, otherwise I would have missed the August administration of the MCAT. :eek:

At least I know my interview skills don't suck -- that's what got me the job. Unfortunately, that also makes the outcome of last year's applications even more perplexing. :confused:

Hey, Good luck JKD! We're gonna kick some ass on this MCAT!!

How are you guys studying? General Chem was a long way off, and I'm trying to get the whole equilibrium quotient/electrolytic-galvanic cells back into my head.. can't find my old text book, so I'm reviewing old notes and other text books.

ShyRem said:
Not retaking. Seems every time I take that stinkin' test something happens - first time mono, second time my 6 year old son was getting shot by idiots with beebee guns the week before (terrorized him beyond belief - charged those stupid kids with 4 felonies a piece). a 29 is OK with me at this point.

BTW: I submitted on the 8th, transcripts received the 13th, aacomas MAILED OUT MY APPS on the 16th (wow!), and amcas was processed on the 20th. So they're moving swiftly.

You know the Armed Forces Scholarship (Navy) will guarantee your tuition/fees if youhave a 3.5 GPA and 27 MCAT. Schools look favorably at this when they see the "Letter of Guarantee" in an application.

One question I have is whether I should include my current job on my application. I basically have the job, but it doesn't become "official" until Sept 2 -- well after the time I submit my aacomas. However, I think listing it will really make me stand out.

Should I chance it? There's always the possibility something falls through and I have to explain things. But the benefits could far outweigh the costs.

"You know the Armed Forces Scholarship (Navy) will guarantee your tuition/fees if youhave a 3.5 GPA and 27 MCAT. Schools look favorably at this when they see the "Letter of Guarantee" in an application."

Hey docmartin, you mentioned that a letter of guarentee looks good. I work for a small regional hospital (busiest little place south of denver and north of albuquerque) and they have offfered to pay for my med school in return that I practice there for a few years. Would this be worth putting into my application? If so, how? Do I enclude it in the letter or rec, or the amcas, or where?