Re-applying(If necessary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalmd06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm still waiting to hear from NYCOM (KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!), but I feel it would be prudent to explore options for re-applying next year (if necessary).

Ok, so my original plan was to take a few upper division science courses at my local state college (STONY BROOK) to try to boost up my BCPM GPA. Here are my stats:

OVERALL GPA: 3.23
BCPM GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 9PS 9VR 12BS

Great EC's and clinical experience, great letters of rec and volunteer experience.

Now I'm in a pretty poor family situation right now and I don't know if I will be able to take those classes. If I am I would take MICRO, GENETICS, and BIOCHEM and if I can ace them, that will bring my BCPM up to a little over 3.3. I feel this will show dedication and a strong upward trend that might push me over the ege.

This cycle I only applied to 8 schools because of personal and financial reasons. If I am unable to take some of those classes, do you think it would be ok to apply broadly (BOTH MD and DO) to schools I didn't apply to? In other words, apply to 20 or so schools and NOT include those I was unsuccesful applying to this cycle??

I hope against hope that this is a moot point. If I am accepted to NYCOM I will matriculate (Great school)! Your advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

I'm still waiting to hear from NYCOM (KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!), but I feel it would be prudent to explore options for re-applying next year (if necessary).

Ok, so my original plan was to take a few upper division science courses at my local state college (STONY BROOK) to try to boost up my BCPM GPA. Here are my stats:

OVERALL GPA: 3.23
BCPM GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 9PS 9VR 12BS

Great EC's and clinical experience, great letters of rec and volunteer experience.

Now I'm in a pretty poor family situation right now and I don't know if I will be able to take those classes. If I am I would take MICRO, GENETICS, and BIOCHEM and if I can ace them, that will bring my BCPM up to a little over 3.3. I feel this will show dedication and a strong upward trend that might push me over the ege.

This cycle I only applied to 8 schools because of personal and financial reasons. If I am unable to take some of those classes, do you think it would be ok to apply broadly (BOTH MD and DO) to schools I didn't apply to? In other words, apply to 20 or so schools and NOT include those I was unsuccesful applying to this cycle??

I hope against hope that this is a moot point. If I am accepted to NYCOM I will matriculate (Great school)! Your advice is much appreciated!

hopefully you won't have to try again. if you do i would recommend applying to a lot of schools. it is expensive and takes a long time. consider this... if you have to apply 3, 4 or 5 times with 8 to 12 schools each time that is expensive and time consuming too (and you may have to retake the MCAT to keep it current enough). consider lots of DO schools since your numbers are more in line with there averages (still a little low but close). your in state allopathic schools too. apply broadly across the country, different selectivity, etc... variety is helpful.

as for the schools you applied to... if you were interviewed try again. if they rejected you right away, then i would avoid the reapplication. if you where on hold until february or march then you beat some of the cuts and may want to reapply. if you think you are a good fit at the particular school then go for it. things change by year.

i would recommend you try to take a class or two also. if things are rough, then instead of three try fewer. the added classes will give you something to show improvement in the application. any improvement if better than nothing, especially if you applied to the school last year.

good luck.

Agree with the above.

You have to do whatever it takes (loan, job, etc.) to apply widely when you do apply. 8 schools is just too few and too risky - the med school admissions process can be such a crapshoot just because of sheer numbers.

Best of luck.