Re-applying through the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoatedAcrobat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I completed 2 years of OB/GYN residency in good standing. Was let go because I did not pass USMLE Step 3 within the allotted three attempts here in Texas. Had family issues at the time, and once I settled that I took the exam again and improved my score by +30 points. I'm going to re-apply through the match for a PGY-1 OB/GYN position. Does anyone know about how to get an ERAS electronic token in my situation? I'm not in medical school anymore so I can't just request one from my Dean but I looked all over the AMA-ERAS website and I could only find two options: either request from the Dean or request one as a foreign medical grad (which I'm not). Does anyone have any experience in this or helpful advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You get one from your medical school. Even though you are no longer there, they are the one that will issue it to you.

However, if you completed 2 years of OB training and the only thing preventing you from progressing to a PGY-3 was S3, then you probably should be looking for a PGY-2 or PGY-3 position. I expect that many programs won't consider you -- you're seriously overtrained for a PGY-1 position. You might say "but that's crazy, who cares if I'm overtrained? I'll do that much better a job.". The problem is that it's hard to be an intern in a class where you're so much more ahead of them, and it's unfair to a new PGY-2 to supervise you when you have more experience and (may) have better judgement than them. Plus there's the whole funding issue.

Hi y'all,

I completed 2 years of OB/GYN residency in good standing. Was let go because I did not pass USMLE Step 3 within the allotted three attempts here in Texas. Had family issues at the time, and once I settled that I took the exam again and improved my score by +30 points. I'm going to re-apply through the match for a PGY-1 OB/GYN position. Does anyone know about how to get an ERAS electronic token in my situation? I'm not in medical school anymore so I can't just request one from my Dean but I looked all over the AMA-ERAS website and I could only find two options: either request from the Dean or request one as a foreign medical grad (which I'm not). Does anyone have any experience in this or helpful advice? Thanks in advance!

Have you talked to your original home program to see if they will take you back now as a 2 or a 3?

Have you talked to your original home program to see if they will take you back now as a 2 or a 3?

They wouldn't take me back because I didn't pass Step 3 within 3 tries. It's a rule in Texas.

You get one from your medical school. Even though you are no longer there, they are the one that will issue it to you.

However, if you completed 2 years of OB training and the only thing preventing you from progressing to a PGY-3 was S3, then you probably should be looking for a PGY-2 or PGY-3 position. I expect that many programs won't consider you -- you're seriously overtrained for a PGY-1 position. You might say "but that's crazy, who cares if I'm overtrained? I'll do that much better a job.". The problem is that it's hard to be an intern in a class where you're so much more ahead of them, and it's unfair to a new PGY-2 to supervise you when you have more experience and (may) have better judgement than them. Plus there's the whole funding issue.

There aren't a lot of vacancies up right now for 2nd year or 3 year spots. I've applied to them but haven't heard back. Seeing as I've been away from residency for a year now I thought entering the match as a PGY1 would be ok.

I'm pretty sure its a rule in Texas for licensing, not residency. You might be able to get a waiver from the Texas board, though. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

I was told by my PD that it wouldn't happen. The chair of my program is associated with the board somehow and told me they wouldn't grant me a waiver.

I was told by my PD that it wouldn't happen. The chair of my program is associated with the board somehow and told me they wouldn't grant me a waiver.

Until I heard it from the board themselves, I wouldn't believe it. Now your program may just not want to take you back and that's certainly their choice, but they can't say for sure what the board would rule.

Until I heard it from the board themselves, I wouldn't believe it. Now your program may just not want to take you back and that's certainly their choice, but they can't say for sure what the board would rule.

You have a point, but let's say the medical board was willing to give me a waiver. That wouldn't change there being no PGY-2,3 vacancies in Texas that I could apply to.

You have a point, but let's say the medical board was willing to give me a waiver. That wouldn't change there being no PGY-2,3 vacancies in Texas that I could apply to.

There are alot of programs out there and you can try asking them. You may have to do some cold calls. Will your former PD be willing to write you a good LOR? You'll need that.

There are alot of programs out there and you can try asking them. You may have to do some cold calls. Will your former PD be willing to write you a good LOR? You'll need that.

He has been sending his LOR to programs I've been applying to with vacancies. Unfortunately it looks like I'll just have to sit tight and wait until July and august come by, see if there are any vacancies and just be persistent. I know I'll get a spot. I've already had an interview for one and was close to getting the spot (I was their #2). It's the uncertainty and waiting that's going to kill me.