*RE* applying to pharmacy school with messed up background/ record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm134

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without going into too much detail, in Jan I was charged with a felony. It wasn't drug, theft, or violence related but I don't want to go into detail. Got accepted into 3 pharmacy schools right after, and picked my top choice. The charge was reduced to a misdemeanor with 2 years probation. I reported this to the school in April. They said that's fine but rotations might be hard to find. Then in July (about a week ago) the school contacted me and said they are rescinding my acceptance because of the background. They said to reapply when I'm able to get it off my record (which will be about 3-4 years in my state).

Since it's such a new charge and the background check shows that I'm still on probation, do you think it's worth reapplying to other schools this coming cycle? The rest of my application is decently competitive. Everyone who wrote me a LOR knows the situation and agreed to write another one, so I could submit the app in August. The state board is aware of the charge and said they would issue me a student license. If I do apply now should I talk about the charge in the personal statement? I basically don't want to get accepted by a different school and then have my offer rescinded at the last minute again.

Or do you think I should wait another year or two before reapplying. I'm really nervous about this option because I'm already 24. I have a degree but some of my prereqs are almost 5 years old now.

Also, I reached out to the other two schools that initially offered acceptances and explained everything (attached the background check results too). One didn't reply. The other said they would try to get me in this August but since it was late they might defer it to next year. They replied a few days later saying, "We encourage you to reapply through PharmCas" with no explanation as to why the change.

Members don't see this ad.

These things are case-by-case. If you have to register as a sex offender for whatever you did than forget a pharmacy career. And it's also recent which is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
We don't live in a society where past criminal offenses are forgiven. It's a sad truth especially for those with special cases. Even more sad for people like you, who want to move past it and actually make something of themselves and be productive in society.

Don't think of your age, don't count your years. Because once you do, everything will seem like a "waste of time." Take the time off and mature. Get a job at a pharmacy or somewhere else. Take classes part time just to keep the info fresh. It may not sound as appealing as being a pharmacist at 28 but I'm a firm believer of everything happens for a reason. I knew a girl a long time ago with a "receiving stolen property" misdemeanor. She paid cash, had no proof other than her word that she didn't know it was stolen. She went through financial trouble and had to take 8 years of school on and off to finish her bacc. I had classes with her her last two years and she said frequently that had she finished back then she wouldn't be accepted into medschool because of her record and even if she had, she wouldn't have been mentally mature enough to keep up with the load. In the end, it worked for her.

Bottom line: Don't let time dictate what you want to do and who you want to become.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try again once your probation is over.

I'm all for second chances, but only after a suitable period of time has elapsed for reflection and personal growth. The "I want what I want, and I want it now" mindset doesn't work in this instance; I have a hard time believing that you've truly learned anything after just six months.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 5 users
Try again once your probation is over.

I'm all for second chances, but only after a suitable period of time has elapsed for reflection and personal growth. The "I want what I want, and I want it now" mindset doesn't work in this instance; I have a hard time believing that you've truly learned anything after just six months.

Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

My first thought was that pharmacy schools would respond the way 297point1 did and I had no choice but to wait at a few years before reapplying anywhere. But a couple people who know about the situation encouraged me to reach out to the other two schools. The fact that one school did initially entertain the idea made me think that I might have a shot if I reapply now. I was thinking maybe my best option now (2017 app) is to apply to that one school early decision. If I don't get into that one probably just reapply in 2018 to more schools.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

My first thought was that pharmacy schools would respond the way 297point1 did and I had no choice but to wait at a few years before reapplying anywhere. But a couple people who know about the situation encouraged me to reach out to the other two schools. The fact that one school did initially entertain the idea made me think that I might have a shot if I reapply now. I was thinking maybe my best option now (2017 app) is to apply to that one school early decision. If I don't get into that one probably just reapply in 2018 to more schools.

....but you would still face some major hurdle like finding rotation sites, getting your intern license and pharmacist license, finding an employer that would accept your background.

Let's face reality. You did something stupid and for a pharmacy school not to accept you is a big deal and a huge red flag since these schools would be paid regardless of what will happen to you.

Do you really want to invest 6 figures for the next 4 years and not being able to find work? Life is hard but you have to deal with it. Do something else is my suggestion to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
....but you would still face some major hurdle like finding rotation sites, getting your intern license and pharmacist license, finding an employer that would accept your background.

Let's face reality. You did something stupid and for a pharmacy school not to accept you is a big deal and a huge red flag since these schools would be paid regardless of what will happen to you.

Do you really want to invest 6 figures for the next 4 years and not being able to find work? Life is hard but you have to deal with it. Do something else is my suggestion to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know there will be huge hurdles but I still DO want to be a pharmacist. The state board said that they would issue me an intern license. By the time I get my pharmacist license the charge will be at least 4 years old. My current boss knows the situation, HR too (I work at a hospital), and they both put me back on the schedule at work after they found out I will be staying. Also, the school that rejected me said that they have had people with records complete their program in the past (although their charges were older).

I'd say apply anyway. No cost other than the application fees right? Be up front about it and I think they will see that as you trying to better your life.

If you are sure that you can get licensed and get a job, then your decision should't be based on your background record... most people here do not have the legal background or enough information on your conviction to tell you otherwise. The only recommendation that I can make is to ensure that your Board Of Pharmacy will grant you a license as your were told. In CA, the process is not simple, I have heard that it often goes to a committee hearing before a decision is made. Also, I think that your place of work is more understanding because they know you. Again, as others stated usually it's case by case and there isn't enough info to really give you answer that is substantiated.

It's totally based upon your state's board of pharmacy... I have a misdemeanor on record that was also dropped from a felony charge. I received that conviction the same year I was applying for pharmacy schools. I'm now a recent grad and have had no issues with getting rotations or multiple job offers. Again, it'll be based on your crime and your state's board of pharmacy. Best of luck to you!