PhD/PsyD Re-applying to programs who have rejected you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okgod

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I should just chill out and hope for best as I wait to hear back on acceptance/rejection results after my interviews, but I can't help but internally agonize in anticipation. I'm compelled to start forming plans for if I don't get into a PhD program after this season's round of interviews however I'm not sure how things go regarding the re-applying process for future application seasons.

If I feel like I did well on the interview with my top choice but they reject me, is it faux pas to try again next year? Would it be okay to ask the program/poi why I was rejected, so that I know what I should work on before I try again? I was extremely impressed with the fit in research/training with my top choice, so much so that in the case I was rejected I would be willing to turn down offers from other programs if it meant that I could have another shot at my top choice next year. Would this be an ill-informed decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't ask the POI "why was I rejected?" That's at least awkward, and at worst could be construed as inappropriate. Plus, you are not going to get a good answer. Assuming you did not tell racist jokes at the social or hit on your host, you won't get much more of an answer than "someone else was a better fit."

You can ask, "I felt as though there was a strong fit, what can I do to improve my competitiveness for your lab again this year?" And then you better do it if you reapply! And also brush up on all the interview skills, etc., so that you clearly have improved.

Reactions: 1 users
The odds of getting into any 1 program are very small, which is why most applicants apply to multiple programs. Therefore, it may be a bad idea to turn down other offers with the hope of getting into your top program the following year. This is of course, unless you really, genuinely don't believe the program(s) that do accept you can give you what you need to achieve your goals.

If you have established a rapport with your POI at the top program, you can definitely reach out for suggestions on how to improve your application for the following year. It's not uncommon for people to apply during multiple rounds, and this may include the same programs that previously rejected them. The caveat is that you do need to do something within that year to improve your application. Sending in the same stats and CV next year won't really change the outcome, and they make look at that unfavorably since they'll see you made no efforts to strengthen yourself as an applicant throughout that year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not turn down offers for good programs just to try and get your one top choice. That would likely be a very poor gambit as the chances to get in any one program is very low.

Reactions: 1 user
I concur with everyone else, but would like to add that the faculty member you applied to work with this year may not be taking a student next year if they take someone this cycle. Faculty don't take students every year in perpetuity. Some years they won't take students, because they already have enough people in their lab or other faculty need new students more than they do and the department doesn't have enough funding for everyone to take someone new. So, you may have to wait more than one year if your faculty POI doesn't take someone next year.