Re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I'll be re-applying for entering class of 2002, (guess all that Duff Beer caught up with me).

For anyone else reapplying; assuming that you were happy with your p-statement the first time around, are you going to re-submit the same one? Should I make it look like I at least updated it a little. I was quite happy with it the first time and really don't want to dicker with it just for the sake of making it look like I did something to try to improve it.

Homer J.

Members don't see this ad.

what happened? :( I mean how many schools did you apply too? Did they all reject/waitlist you and you haven't heard anything yet? Let us know.

Although I have not personally been in the position of reapplying, I have heard from numerous sources (friends reapplying, AdComm members, premed advisors, etc.), that you definitely SHOULD NOT RESUBMIT THE SAME ESSAYS!!!!!!!!! Most schools do not encourage you to reapply unless something significant has changed on your application -- do you have better scores/numbers this time around? More volunteer/healthcare experience? More pertinent work experience? Additionally, you should use totally different essays -- some of the material you present will be the same, but you should make a concerted effort to present it differently, don't just tinker around with things. Find a new angle for your personal statement, hopefully based on your experiences from this last year. Otherwise, you will just be wasting time and money.

Honestly, if you do not think your application has changed substantially, I would suggest waiting a year to reapply, and devoting this year to strengthening the weaknesses of your application. If you are uncertain of what they might be, ask to meet with the Dean of Admissions from some of the schools you applied to this year, especially if you interviewed at that school, or received a secondary (assuming it was a school that prescreens before sending out secondaries). They can usually give you a good idea of what you need to work on to create a more competitive application.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you applied, withdrew your application, then reapplied the following year. Is it necessary to change the essay? My friend is in this position and he withdrew his application before he sent in secondaries, but nothing has really changed substantially in his application so he doesn't feel the need to change his essay on his primary applications.

I agree with lilycat. Another idea is, look at the specs of the class of 2005 for those schools that you are interested in, to see how competitive your app is, numbers wise. Never forget that the allopathic schools send out secondaries as a fundraiser....not necessarily a pre-screen. You might change the schools you apply to based on the data you find.

I'm sorry to hear that you will not attend this year. Hang in there, I had to re-apply, too. You'll get in.

electra :( ;)

Ditto on the idea of resubmitting the same p-statement. DON"T DO IT. An Admissions commitee member Carolina said this personally when asked. Through only a miracle I have not had to reapply. But I spoken with several people who did. One guy didn't get in until his THIRD try. (He did a post bac at Ohio and got in.) Others have taken a biochem class or something (and have done really well in it of course). A few I knew just worked and re applied earlier (June) with an almost identical applications.
The general consensus I have been always given is speak to some honest admissions director (at one of the schools you applied too) and find out honestly what they didn't like. Don't be argumentive! Just listen. Was it the Interview, MCAT, grades...then work your way from there.
If it is any consolation - a lot of the better doctors/medical students I have heard about said they had to apply twice and that's what gave them the motivation to suceed. Good Luck!!

Perhaps my application experiences may help you decide whether or not to reapply w/your same AMCAS personal statement, Homer...

In early July 1999 I submitted my AMCAS app. I had worked hard to make the personal essay one of the best I'd ever written, and I was really pleased with the end result. (I also have a master's degree in creative writing and literature, which helps!) Northwestern, which screens applicants, sent me a secondary w/o having received my MCAT scores.

Took the August MCAT but knew I hadn't done well and withheld my scores. I w/drew from all schools and concentrated on the April 2000 MCAT. When April arrived, I still didn't feel prepared and decided to sit for the August 2000 exam.

In early July 2000, I submitted my AMCAS primary app w/a revised version of my 1999 essay b/c I felt it still reflected what I wanted the adcoms to know about me. Again, Northwestern sent me a secondary before receiving my August MCAT scores. (Maybe this is routine for them; I don't know.)

Sat for the August 2000 MCAT and felt it went okay. Completed and submitted 25 secondaries. (FYI, I was considered a reapplicant even though I w/drew my 1999 primary app w/o having completed any secondaries.) Of the schools I applied to that initially screen applicants, I received secondaries from Stanford, Drew/UCLA, Loyola, and VCU/MCV.

Eventually, I interviewed at only one school and was turned down by almost every other. I say "almost" because I received an acceptance from that one school and immediately w/drew my application from three schools I hadn't heard from.

Considering all the mistakes I made during the med school application process, I feel extremely fortunate to have received an acceptance. As other SDN members have posted, I wouldn't advise submitting the same personal statement. But if you truly feel that your original essay cannot be improved upon (save for a bit of revising and the adding of some new info), then try your chances. I feel that what most hurt my chances was applying w/August MCAT scores. Whether you write a new essay or resubmit the old, be sure to submit your primary, seondaries, and recs ASAP.

Sorry for this lengthy and detailed response; however, I wanted to provide as accurate an account of my re-application experience as possible. Best of luck to you, Homer.

After getting rejected in 2000, I reapplied in 2001 with essentially the same essay. I felt that I had an outstanding personal statement and, after checking with my pre-med advisor and others, decided to keep it. I did change the first paragraph to create a new "hook" and also updated the last two paragraphs with my recent activities. However, 80% of the essay was the same. This year, I completed 7 secondaries, got 4 interviews and 3 acceptances, so it obviously didn't hurt.
My suggestion is to find out WHY you didn't get in this year...take a long, critical look at your grades, MCAT, activities, essay, recommendations, etc. The problem may not be your personal statement at all.

I also didn't get in this time around but I'm not going to apply for 2002. I have decided to strengthen my volunteer and research work and when the time comes around again, I will have made a significant improvement in my application. This really cannot be achieved in the few months in between getting the last rejection letter and the beginning of the next appication cycle. Plus, there is more time to grow in terms of life experience which can also be to your advantage when reapplying later. It seems that certain schools are leaning toward taking students that have been out of college for at least a year or two because of this.

Sometimes, that year or two off can provide you with significant experiences that you can include in your personal essay and make it even better. My essay was good but it was not great. By taking some time off and experiencing the "real world" I think I can make the personal statement even better.

Friends of mine in medical school always tell me that they wish they took a year or 2 off in between undergrad and med school. Considering the high stress and performance requirements related to being a med student, I think having some breathing room between what was for me a stressful pre-med experience and an even more stressful experience as a med student can be a good thing.

Perhaps being rejected was a blessing in disguise for me.