re-applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvelos3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2009 admissions cycle is winding down. Who is mostlikely going to be re-applying next year? and What are you doing to make yourself more competitive?

I'll go first. I am waiting on ICO, the only college I applied to:oops:, for an interview invite. I know stupid right. Well I wasn't prepared to apply this year but will be next year. This semester only consisted of science courses and so will summer and fall. I will be taking anatomy and biochem in addition to retaking some classes I got C's in. And of course I will apply to more than one college...mostlikely all of them :D. Hopefully everything will work out. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Often, an admissions counselor from the school you applied to will go through your app and suggests way you can improve. (Or at least, Pacific does.) I would ask the schools you are applying or reapplying to about retaking courses that you got a C in.

If you are retaking them because you got a C- and they don't count as prereqs, that's one thing. If you are retaking just to get a higher grade, I would reconsider. Taking a course that you have already taken means you really should get nothing less than an A because you have seen all of that material already. If you do get less than an A, it could hurt you. It would be better to take higher division courses in the same subject (Bio, Chem, whatever) and do really well.

This is, of course, my opinion. The only opinion that matters in the end is the admissions person at your schools!

hmm its going to be my first time applying next year. Im trying to get early admission (not done my degree, going in third year next year im only 19!!) into Pacific or Waterloo. If I get into ether of those two schools im off on my way! Everything in my application is better then the avgs of people who get accpeted to pacific so hopefully ill get in there if not waterloo and plus they dont have preference if you have a degree or not :D. 20 year old optometry student, hmm I believe ill be so young compared to everyone in my class :(

Members don't see this ad :)
20 year old optometry student, hmm I believe ill be so young compared to everyone in my class :(

Hey, don't worry about it! We have a couple of students in my class that turned 21 this year and nobody really noticed. You don't think about age much, since on the flip side you'll probably have a few older students too. :)

OP - have you asked ICO what's going on with your file, maybe why they haven't invited you yet?

OP - have you asked ICO what's going on with your file, maybe why they haven't invited you yet?

Teisha emailed me this past week that the admissions commitee met thursday and I will hear back from them next week. I do know whats holding me back and unfortunately its my gpa.

I also only applied to one school. I was placed on the waitlist and although there's a chance I'll get in, there's also a good chance I won't.

So I am already writing the "what are you doing to improve as a person/applicant" essay even though I haven't done any of the things I wrote in the essay (don't worry, in a way, it is a way to force me to do those things I wrote in the essay).

I will be shadowing a vision therapist in my area soon. And continuing to volunteer with the optometry club at my old alma mater. That's about it.

My application was strong and my interview went well. I just applied way too late. So the main thing I will be doing differently is applying early. :D

Also, I only want to go to one school. But there's a good chance I will be applying to a few this time around.

I didn't get in this year... applied to six schools and received two interviews but had no luck. I have a 2.85 gpa and a 340 OAT with none lower than 300. My plan is to take a few more science courses to try and boost the gpa a bit and prob retake the OAT. Do you guys think 2.95 and 360 is good enough?

hello,

I am in the same boat as many of ya'll. rejected from my #1 choice, chicago and on hold for spring grades from nova and pco. My grades this semester are borderline A's and B's, but finals can really make it or break it for me. Unfortunately I'm currently taking the hardest courses of my 4 years of undergraduate studies. My biggest menace is probably PChem. Anyhow, based on the assumption of not being accepted anywhere, I've already planned on taking some post-bac classes in chicago. Which means I'm moving to a city that I know nothing about. At $2500 per class, I'm making a pretty big sacrifice. I planned my senior trip awhile back and I'm hoping to find some volunteer work there for a few days so I can at least make it somewhat worthwhile. This whole waiting game makes me sick to my stomach. Even if i were accepted how do they expect students to find housing/transportation/financial help in less than a month. anyhow, time for class, good luck to all the reapplicants!!

I didn't get in this year... applied to six schools and received two interviews but had no luck. I have a 2.85 gpa and a 340 OAT with none lower than 300. My plan is to take a few more science courses to try and boost the gpa a bit and prob retake the OAT. Do you guys think 2.95 and 360 is good enough?

holy hell. you didn't get in any with those stats? i should be afraid. :scared:

did you apply late? did they tell you why you weren't accepted?

That GPA is pretty below average, schools really want a GPA above a 3.0 and if it's low, you have to kick serious butt on the OAT to help even out your application.

bigdumy, I don't know if raising your GPA a tenth of a point is going to help much. It'll help, don't get me wrong, but they'd probably like to see you bump it to a 3.0. With a low GPA you're going to need a 350+ on the OAT to be competitive.

GPA under 3.0 is low, my friend. Could be other reasons why applicants aren't accepted such as if they didn't have extracurric, didn't interview well, or other factors. Reasons varies among applicants.

Speaking of EC's, since they are not a requirement, i.e. no specific hours designated for a specific activity, then why would students go forth and waste their time with such tasks? It seems as if students generally do EC's because the majority of the application pool is doing so.

GPA under 3.0 is low, my friend. Could be other reasons why applicants aren't accepted such as if they didn't have extracurric, didn't interview well, or other factors. Reasons varies among applicants.

A 2.8 GPA in Mechanical Engineering shows whatever a 4.0 GPA in Sociology is supposed to show adcoms.

SUNY didn't like my chemistry grades. I got lots of "C's" in there. Their suggestion was to prove that I can do well in chemistry otherwise they won't think I can handle their workload. Also, I had two sections where I scored 300. They wanted 320 in every category. I applied first week of September so it was somewhat late.

Shoot for a 400...it is very possible to get that score.

Looks like its official...I will be re applying. I got the letter from Teisha earlier this week. I really hope a 2.95 is good enough because that is what I am looking to be at by the time I apply. Right now I am at a 2.75 with 380aa/390ts.

Shoot for a 400...it is very possible to get that score.

Looks like its official...I will be re applying. I got the letter from Teisha earlier this week. I really hope a 2.95 is good enough because that is what I am looking to be at by the time I apply. Right now I am at a 2.75 with 380aa/390ts.

For acceptance, it depends how competitive the year you're applying, extracurricular activities, experience in optometry, etc. They look at the whole person that's why schools will have a supplementary application as well as essays on top of OptomCAS. If you're working full time and still getting 3.0 or slightly less versus someone who can't break 3.0 and just a full time student will have a better chance than the latter unless there's an "extenuating circumstances" as the reason for a low gpa.

A good example of a competitive pool will be Pacific's class of 2011 compare to 2013. If I remember it correctly for class of 2011, the lowest gpa of the accepted applicants is slightly above 3.0, maybe 3.2 and OAT was low 300 maybe 320? compare with class of 2013:
http://www.pacificu.edu/optometry/admissions/program.cfm
Average Cumulative GPA 3.58 (range admitted from 2.85-4.0)
Average Total Science OAT 343 (range admitted from 280-400)

Apply early and apply to more than one school. Good luck to all re-applicants :xf:!

For acceptance, it depends how competitive the year you're applying, extracurricular activities, experience in optometry, etc. They look at the whole person that's why schools will have a supplementary application as well as essays on top of OptomCAS. If you're working full time and still getting 3.0 or slightly less versus someone who can't break 3.0 and just a full time student will have a better chance than the latter unless there's an "extenuating circumstances" as the reason for a low gpa.

A good example of a competitive pool will be Pacific's class of 2011 compare to 2013. If I remember it correctly for class of 2011, the lowest gpa of the accepted applicants is slightly above 3.0, maybe 3.2 and OAT was low 300 maybe 320? compare with class of 2013:
http://www.pacificu.edu/optometry/admissions/program.cfm
Average Cumulative GPA 3.58 (range admitted from 2.85-4.0)
Average Total Science OAT 343 (range admitted from 280-400)

Apply early and apply to more than one school. Good luck to all re-applicants :xf:!

Wow. That info is already out?

I would guess this year was particularly "competitve" due to the state of the economy. New grads can't find jobs (or are scared to) so they go to grad/prof school along with people leaving the workforce to go back to school.

As a former re-applicant myself, if you know you are going to re-apply for next year, start your game plan NOW. Next application cycle starts only in 4-5 months already! And now you know better than to wait to apply late. START NOW.

Unless I hear back from any schools from now until July 15th, I will be re-applying. I made the mistake of applying late in this cycle, so I will DEFINITELY be re-applying on the first day!! I'll also have to take 4-5 more classes to boost my gpa above 3.0. And I'll be looking to find more optometry experience--hopefully in JOB form (I'm broke as a joke!).

I heard from an admissions counselor that "this is the dumbest year to be a re-applicant," with the whole transition into using OptomCAS. :( Although re-applicants are not completely forgotten, we will be forced to resubmit EVERYTHING--but just once. That means: LOR, transcripts, essay, and more $$$. :mad: Does any one know if schools will ask re-apps to send in a "how did you improve your application since the last time" essay in their secondary application?

Anyone else feeling a little bitter? sighhhh...no worries,;) we're all in this together!! GO US for having so much determination! YAYYYYY!! It'll all be worth it in the end. Don't lose hope. :thumbup::thumbup::D

Since you guys are talking about lower stats and not being competitive or getting in, I know I had below average stats and got accepted to 4 out of 6 schools. I applied very early tho. I had a 2.9 GPA and 310 OAT with one score 280 :( Anyways, there is hope so I wish you guys the best of luck.