Re Hamster again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I begin, I am not here to get medical advice. I will be taking the hamster to the vet tomorrow (No vet around at this time that sees hamsters and make housecalls). However I was wondering if I can get some input from students here.

I have a 2 1/2 year old syrian hamster who is having trouble breathing. He was laying on a bunch of feces.

I gave him about 0.5-1g of turkey on 11/26/08.

So the question is what do you guys think? I put a heatpack next to him for comfort. Do you think that the turkey did him in? Any inputs?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm....without saying the OTHER obvious thing about this poor thing suffering and the "housecall" issue...

If you called up your doctor and told them that your sister is now laying on the floor near a pile of feces, breathing hard....do you think your doctor would be able to tell you whether something she ate a week ago had anything to do with it? Or give you any sort of explanation?

People think animals are so simple. :rolleyes:

Good luck to your critter. I hope the suffering ends soon.

Ummm....without saying the OTHER obvious thing about this poor thing suffering and the "housecall" issue...

If you called up your doctor and told them that your sister is now laying on the floor near a pile of feces, breathing hard....do you think your doctor would be able to tell you whether something she ate a week ago had anything to do with it? Or give you any sort of explanation?

People think animals are so simple. :rolleyes:

Good luck to your critter. I hope the suffering ends soon.

The thing is unfortunely, I went to a dental vet once and i didnt get her phone number since I learned how to trim his tooth. The vet made an exception for my hamster.

The problem is most vets dont see hamsters. Just for me to find a vet to do dental work required me to call 5-6 vet places with most of them telling me that they could not help me. To find a vet this late who would make house calls for hamster is hard as their office voicemail would say for dogs dr blah blah, for cats, Dr. Blah blah.

Thanks for your input.

BTW, I tried pubmed and other journal resources to find how eating turkey would affect a hamster. Do you guys have any tip?

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds an awful lot like a request for medical advice to me... :eyebrow:

If you had a friend at your house who was in the same condition, what would you do? You'd take him/her to the doctor. There's your answer.

I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm just saying that taking your hamster to a real live in-person vet would be a better expenditure of your time.

Ditto to zpinkpanther.

BTW, I tried pubmed and other journal resources to find how eating turkey would affect a hamster. Do you guys have any tip?

And you're a pharmacist, so you've gotta be a pretty smart guy. Hamsters are HERBIVORES.

As in, NOT CARNIVORES.

So why did you feed him turkey?? That's my question.

Along with the "what if it was a person?" issue.

Good grief. I'd really rather not know about these things. :scared:

There should never be enough feces in a cage for an animal to be "lying in a bunch of it" :eek:. He probably has lung damage from ammonia fumes due to poor husbandry...The turkey probably didn't help. Feeding a hamster a gram of turkey is like feeding a horse 10 pounds of rump roasts....why on earth would you do that?

He needs a real vet, and you know it. Not a message board.

I am sure you can find any vet to euthanize this poor creature by your description.

Hi there vet students! I just fed my cat a shot of draino, now he doesn't look so good. Was it the draino???? Please help - I couldn't find anything on Wikipedia about this.

*face palm*

How do we manage to get so many of these?
There needs to be some sort of content filter. Or delete the threads with these questions so that new folks don't get the idea that we'll actually respond.

Hi there vet students! I just fed my cat a shot of draino, now he doesn't look so good. Was it the draino???? Please help - I couldn't find anything on Wikipedia about this.

*face palm*

How do we manage to get so many of these?
There needs to be some sort of content filter. Or delete the threads with these questions so that new folks don't get the idea that we'll actually respond.

Haha, when I first started reading that, I got scared because I thought you were serious! :laugh:

I agree, though. When I first joined SDN, I don't think I read carefully enough because I didn't see the thing about no medical advice, but I still never asked for it! Honestly, what could someone on a forum do to help your sick animal? I just really don't understand what goes through someone's head when they ask for medical advice on here.

But then again, people do a lot of things that I don't understand...