Re-take Undergrad Classes or Take New Master-Level Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdffff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdn!

Question for you guys. I applied this cycle with a 2.97 BCP, 3.27 overall and 21 DAT. I took my fair share of upper level biology classes at my undergraduate school as a biology major. I'm wondering if you guys think it best to re-take the classes I did poorly on this summer or take master level classes to show that I can handle a dental school workload.

Both would involve enrolling in graduate studies but I'm torn between the two.

I recently, as a plan B, applied to Penn's Pre-Health Specialized Studies Program --> program offers master level classes for students who've already taken the pre-reqs.

Pretty much the issue is whether or not to take master level classes risking poorer grades if dental schools just wanna see classes being retaken. of course, i would have to do well in both, but just curious what you guys think.

Also, if you guys know of any programs that start this summer, I'd appreciate it if you could share. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take a 1 or 2 more EASY undergrad classes that count toward the BCP that are EASY to get an A in to get it to a 3.0 and then take a masters (SMP) to get a fresh graduate GPA that you can really make shine. you will have to kill it in the masters. You can't make much of of a change in your BCP but that .03 is a huge visual deal, it's like why things are $9.99 in the store because $10 looks like so much more. So try and take the undergrad class this semester or in the summer and start the Master's in the fall. If you have any questions message me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
id say masters would bring more attention to your app than additional undergrad courses would, as long as you do well in them. worked for me!

If you decide to take the masters courses make sure you get A's or you are just wasting money. Have you considered a Masters degree that might actually help you in the future if you don't get into dental school?