Re-taking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dor940

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating this fall. But afterwards, I wanted to retake some classes but would it be better to take them at a university or a community college.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of threads that pertain to this, so I'd search around. But personally, I feel that a university would look better.

There are a lot of threads that pertain to this, so I'd search around. But personally, I feel that a university would look better.

Its a gamble.

Most of the time, its harder to get top grades at university than you would at a CC. So if you do take it at a University, by all means make sure you are in a position to ace all your classes.

remember, an A at University looks better than A at CC

but an A at CC looks better than B at University.

I agree that a university transcript would look better than CC transcript only if you get top grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is also true. Perhaps a good strategy is to take classes at an "easy" university. In fact, I'll be taking my summer courses at a university in my area that isn't as academically competitive as compared to other local institutions. Sure, there is the argument that there is no such thing as an easy college and that learning the concepts should be most important, but if it gets you the A and the college prestige, then why not?

Its a gamble.

Most of the time, its harder to get top grades at university than you would at a CC. So if you do take it at a University, by all means make sure you are in a position to ace all your classes.

remember, an A at University looks better than A at CC

but an A at CC looks better than B at University.

I agree that a university transcript would look better than CC transcript only if you get top grades.

I retook several prerequisites at community colleges and I don't feel it hindered me one bit. I also took my physics classes at a community college when I could have taken them at a university (mostly b/c I was not happy with the physics prof., I could not for the life of me stay awake in that class!, plus there is a unit ceiling at my school and I much preferred using those units to take upper division biology courses vs. physics). Mind you, when I was re-taking those courses, community college was my only option as I was working full-time. I ended up getting a 3.96 cumulative in classes I re-took so if going the university route is a huge inconvenience and much more difficult financially, I say go with community college courses but make sure to kick butt in those classes. :thumbup: