Re-taking science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lugnut

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pre-reqs and several upper level classes towards a B.S. in Biology from the early 90's. I think I need to take some classes to show some recent coursework. I got A's and B's in BIO,Gchem,physics, micro, biochem,genetics,physio,pathophysio,calculus and biostats, etc. The only C's I got were in organic chem because I never studied. My GPA is about 3.3 BCPM. I also have a chiropractic degree with a 3.6 GPA and have been practicing in a mult-specialty medical facility for 9 years.

I want to re-take Ochem to bring that grade up and brush up for the MCAT. I was thinking of taking it in the summer. Any thoughts on summer classes. Also, do you think I need to re-take the lab section? I would prefer not to.

I was also going to take around 24 credits of upper level classes like genetics, immunology, cell bio, molecular bio, endocrinology, virology. I have already taken eight credits of biochem, so I am set there. If I get A's in these classes, a few of which I have already taken eons ago, my UG BCPM GPA will go up to 3.45. Combined with a good grad GPA + 30+ MCAT,tons of clinical experience and great LOR's, I hope I will be in good shape.

What do you all think of this plan?
Thanks

Lugnut
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Lugnut
Find More Posts by Lugnut
Add Lugnut to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 10:51 PM #2
Zoom-Zoom
Got ATP?
100+ Posts

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely take OChem over again, with the lab unfortunately. I do not know of any courses that fullfil the pre-med requrement that waive the lab. Traditionally the only classes that do not require a lab are intro courses, which do not meet the medical school requirements. Also, I noticed that your BCMP GPA was 3.3, just want to make you aware that osteopathic schools calculate your science GPA on the BCP scale, they do not include math. Good luck.

I did alot of research on this, b/c I am in the same boat with Gen Chem 2. If you're original grades were itemized on your transcript as lecture and lab (2 different grades) you can just repeat the lecture. If they were bundled into one grade, like mine was, you have to take the lab. You can't sub in a lecture for a lecture/lab.