RE: Ultimate Post-Bacc/Masters Dental Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

Just wanted to start a master post-bacc/master's thread for everyone applying to dental school this cycle and future cycles. I know many of us are nervous about our applications and in case we do not get in, we shouldn't give up and a post-bacc/masters may help us secure a seat in the near future. I'll add a few to the list and if anyone wants to add more, please do so! If anyone is currently in the programs and wants to add information that would be really nice too. I hope this thread helps you guys out! Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

The list:
1) NSU: (Master of Biomedical Sciences Degree | College of Medical Sciences | NSU)
2) MW-IL: (Master of Biomedical Sciences Program in Downers Grove | Midwestern University)
3) Temple: (Post Baccalaureate Program | Temple University - Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry)
4) LECOM: (Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Application Procedure - LECOM Education System)
5) VCU: (Premedical Graduate Certificate Program - Premedical Graduate Certificate Program - VCU School of Medicine)
6) Rutgers:
RWJMS Graduate Programs
Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Newark Division
7) Tufts MBS:
Title
8) BU MS in OHS:
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/ohs/
9) MWUAZ and IL (1 and 2 year programs, MA in Biomedical Sciences):
Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences Program in Glendale, AZ | Midwestern University
10) Barry University MS in Biomedical Sciences:
Biomedical Sciences, MS : College of Nursing and Health Sciences : Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida
11) Marquette University Post-Bacc:
Biomedical Sciences Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Rutgers also has 2 MBS programs that are SMP focused
RWJMS Graduate Programs
Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Newark Division

Tufts has an MBS program that is focused for med school but can also be utilized for dental
Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) | Tufts University School of Medicine

BU has an MS in Oral Health program specifically for dental students
Oral Health Sciences Admissions » Graduate Medical Sciences | Boston University

Edit: adding these programs too as I forgot previously

Midwestern AZ has an MAMS degree program as well; if you meet certain criteria GPA/DAT then you can get an interview and/or guaranteed acceptance to their dental school
Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences Program in Glendale, AZ | Midwestern University

Temple Post-Bacc
you must apply to their dental school before being allowed to apply for this program but they have a certificate program available
Post Baccalaureate Program | Temple University - Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Barry University is another great option. Obviously they don't have a dental school, but they get 30+ students into dental school each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry University is another great option. Obviously they don't have a dental school, but they get 30+ students into dental school each year.

Do you have a link for this? Not that I am being lazy or anything but just so people can easily reference it.

Marquette has a pre-dental post bacc program. This is their first year doing it.

Reactions: 1 user
This one correct? I am wondering if there is a guaranteed interview if you do well in this.

Biomedical Sciences Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University

Yup thats it. I am in the program right now. They are pretty tight lipped about everything. They are not guaranteeing anything specific, trust me I tried to get as much out of them as I could haha but they wouldn't budge. Marquette usually gives interviews in the next week or two, so then we will see who all gets one.

Yup thats it. I am in the program right now. They are pretty tight lipped about everything. They are not guaranteeing anything specific, trust me I tried to get as much out of them as I could haha but they wouldn't budge. Marquette usually gives interviews in the next week or two, so then we will see who all gets one.

Ah! That's so awesome, best of luck my friend! Do let us know how the post-bacc is because it might interest someone. We look forward to you sharing the experience with us. Hopefully, an interview does come your way.

Ah! That's so awesome, best of luck my friend! Do let us know how the post-bacc is because it might interest someone. We look forward to you sharing the experience with us. Hopefully, an interview does come your way.

Thanks! I will for sure write up my take on the program once it is over/if I get accepted to dental school.

Hey guys, in what circumstance would you pick a post bacc over a masters? I mean I am thinking that at least if I do one of the masters programs I can get that degree but is there any other logic to doing a post bacc instead(like GPA wise)?

Hey guys, in what circumstance would you pick a post bacc over a masters? I mean I am thinking that at least if I do one of the masters programs I can get that degree but is there any other logic to doing a post bacc instead(like GPA wise)?
I would suggest a masters over a post bac under any and all circumstances. Only time I would suggest a post bac is if your gpa is beyond repair and you tried three cycles and still couldn't get in. But if you are above a 3.2 go the master's route. They are cheaper, easier to do well in, and you can get a degree that is useful if you don't get in right away. Post bac's are risky, way more expensive than a masters, and about half the people I know who did one tanked their application with it when they would have done well in a regular master's and gotten in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with comet that if your GPA is just marginally on the uncompetitive side, a masters should suffice. But if you need major GPA damage control, you should do a postbacc IMO. If you do well but are still not getting any admission offers, you can then go onto the masters. This shows progressively advanced level coursework. I would think it wouldn't look as good to do graduate level sciences, and then go back down to undergraduate level science. It also looks good to ADCOMS because it shows dedication. Also, what if you don't do as well in the postbacc after the masters? I would imagine that being seen as a major red flag for a number of reasons.

I agree with comet that if your GPA is just marginally on the uncompetitive side, a masters should suffice. But if you need major GPA damage control, you should do a postbacc IMO. If you do well but are still not getting any admission offers, you can then go onto the masters. This shows progressively advanced level coursework. I would think it wouldn't look as good to do graduate level sciences, and then go back down to undergraduate level science. It also looks good to ADCOMS because it shows dedication. Also, what if you don't do as well in the postbacc after the masters? I would imagine that being seen as a major red flag for a number of reasons.

@schmoob How low of a sGPA are we talking in regards to doing a post-bacc? And one thing I have been reading about Post-Bacc's at least the one I am really interested in (Temple) has you only doing dental related coursework (Oral Biology, etc.) If you don't suggest doing this program, what masters do you suggest looking into?

@schmoob How low of a sGPA are we talking in regards to doing a post-bacc? And one thing I have been reading about Post-Bacc's at least the one I am really interested in (Temple) has you only doing dental related coursework (Oral Biology, etc.) If you don't suggest doing this program, what masters do you suggest looking into?
It all depends. I would say if you have a sub 3.0, postbacc may be a good route. This is just my opinion though, others may have different thoughts and experiences.
I'm not sure that it matters that it is only dental related coursework. As long as it brings your sGPA up. I'm sorry but I don't know enough about the available postbacc or masters programs to give you any type valuable feedback. SDN does have a sub-forum for it though, you may find some good info there. Also use SDN's search feature at the top of the page to look for discussions on the topic. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

It all depends. I would say if you have a sub 3.0, postbacc may be a good route. This is just my opinion though, others may have different thoughts and experiences.
I'm not sure that it matters that it is only dental related coursework. As long as it brings your sGPA up. I'm sorry but I don't know enough about the available postbacc or masters programs to give you any type valuable feedback. SDN does have a sub-forum for it though, you may find some good info there. Also use SDN's search feature at the top of the page to look for discussions on the topic. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

No worries at all! Thank you so much for your reply. I'll take a gander at the forums once I get a bit more free time. Also, did you do the Navy HPSP? If you did could I PM you about in a little bit?

No worries at all! Thank you so much for your reply. I'll take a gander at the forums once I get a bit more free time. Also, did you do the Navy HPSP? If you did could I PM you about in a little bit?
Feel free to PM if you'd like to talk about the Navy.

Anyone have specifics for any of the programs in regards to grabbing a seat in their dental school upon completion of the program? Of course you would have to do well. VCU clearly states what you would have to achieve in order to get an early interview. But most all other school say 'depending how you do, you will be considered to our dental program.'

I heard some schools guarantee a spot if you do well in the program and was wondering which schools offer that. So if anyone is currently in the program and knows more info, it would be much appreciated!

I was enrolled in this program briefly. I would not recommend it. I actually wouldn't recommend most SMPs though as a handful of them are going to leave you in some serious debt on top of whatever you plan on racking up in dental or medical school. They are also a huge academic risk. You're essentially taking the same classes as the professional students (med, dental, etc) would take the first year or two of their professional schooling and expected to make A's in them. I'd say ~60% of my class were shooting for MD/DO, 15% dental, 15% vet, 10% other.

Iowa State's Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (one-year)

I was enrolled in this program briefly. I would not recommend it. I actually wouldn't recommend most SMPs though as a handful of them are going to leave you in some serious debt on top of whatever you plan on racking up in dental or medical school. They are also a huge academic risk. You're essentially taking the same classes as the professional students (med, dental, etc) would take the first year or two of their professional schooling and expected to make A's in them. I'd say ~60% of my class were shooting for MD/DO, 15% dental, 15% vet, 10% other.

Interesting take, so what do you think is the best way to go about? In my case, I think I'm gonna have to go post-bacc or SMP. Both are expensive and will put me in debt. If I do not do any of these, my chances for dental school are pretty slim, which is why I'm looking into SMP.

I thought about it and doing SMP will save time and stress in my situation. Retaking DATs, redoing the application process for 15+ schools, the money spent for each school's application, and most importantly if I don't get in I'd have to wait another year and do something to change my application. I just want to save time and money in the long run, which is the reason for my comment above.

I would go with a program that has a proven record of getting students in. Most of the programs that are listed have that. Just have to read through everything and make a decision :). They will definitely leave you in debt but it's a worthwhile risk if this is what you want to do.

Interesting take, so what do you think is the best way to go about? In my case, I think I'm gonna have to go post-bacc or SMP. Both are expensive and will put me in debt. If I do not do any of these, my chances for dental school are pretty slim, which is why I'm looking into SMP.

I thought about it and doing SMP will save time and stress in my situation. Retaking DATs, redoing the application process for 15+ schools, the money spent for each school's application, and most importantly if I don't get in I'd have to wait another year and do something to change my application. I just want to save time and money in the long run, which is the reason for my comment above.
I completely understand where you're coming from as I was once in your situation. I examined my individual situation and my options and decided that I was financially better off regarding both incurred debt and return on my investment by switching career paths. The breakeven point in which dentistry would net more career earnings than the alternatives I was considering would be some time into my 50's (I'm 25 now for what it's worth). I felt as though unless I was able to use a SMP to propel myself into my in-state dental school (UAB which is fairly cheap for in-state students), the SMP didn't really make much sense. I originally enrolled in it for that sole purpose. But betting on acceptance into a single school -- the odds aren't in your favor. Doing a SMP (especially an expensive one) and going to MWU, NYU, USC, UPenn, etc just doesn't make sense for anyone other than the rich or the few having their loans covered by the military. It was tough coming to terms with dentistry not being the end all be all, but it was what I felt was best for me at the time. I'm also not trying to make it all about debt, as you have to be happy in whatever you end up doing. But I can't imagine how anyone would be happy with 500-600K of debt in their 30's and 40's slaving away paying that off.

Post-bacc is much cheaper than a SMP. A post-bacc can also allow you to build a course schedule with classes that are useful for you as opposed to a curriculum that's the same across the board for all enrolled students regardless of whether or not it will help you gain acceptance into your target professional school.

I also think it's worth pointing out that a lot of people on here go off the assumption they're just going to get a 3.7+ GPA in a SMP after performing average to above average in undergrad, which is ridiculous. I've come across just as many people that have done poorly in these types of programs and changed career paths as the anecdotal stories on SDN about vaulting into their #1 choice dental school because of one. Again though, this is my own opinion. I just think it's an unnecessary financial and academic risk. Just do a post-bacc at a cheaper rate where you build the schedule of classes you take.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,
I wanted to let you all know the BU OHS masters link was not working, go to google and type "BU OHS" and it will come up. They have about an 80-90% success rate in matriculation to dental school, if you go to BU and do well in OHS you can get some first-year courses waved too!
Good luck in your searches!

I completely understand where you're coming from as I was once in your situation. I examined my individual situation and my options and decided that I was financially better off regarding both incurred debt and return on my investment by switching career paths. The breakeven point in which dentistry would net more career earnings than the alternatives I was considering would be some time into my 50's (I'm 25 now for what it's worth). I felt as though unless I was able to use a SMP to propel myself into my in-state dental school (UAB which is fairly cheap for in-state students), the SMP didn't really make much sense. I originally enrolled in it for that sole purpose. But betting on acceptance into a single school -- the odds aren't in your favor. Doing a SMP (especially an expensive one) and going to MWU, NYU, USC, UPenn, etc just doesn't make sense for anyone other than the rich or the few having their loans covered by the military. It was tough coming to terms with dentistry not being the end all be all, but it was what I felt was best for me at the time. I'm also not trying to make it all about debt, as you have to be happy in whatever you end up doing. But I can't imagine how anyone would be happy with 500-600K of debt in their 30's and 40's slaving away paying that off.

Post-bacc is much cheaper than a SMP. A post-bacc can also allow you to build a course schedule with classes that are useful for you as opposed to a curriculum that's the same across the board for all enrolled students regardless of whether or not it will help you gain acceptance into your target professional school.

I also think it's worth pointing out that a lot of people on here go off the assumption they're just going to get a 3.7+ GPA in a SMP after performing average to above average in undergrad, which is ridiculous. I've come across just as many people that have done poorly in these types of programs and changed career paths as the anecdotal stories on SDN about vaulting into their #1 choice dental school because of one. Again though, this is my own opinion. I just think it's an unnecessary financial and academic risk. Just do a post-bacc at a cheaper rate where you build the schedule of classes you take.

I'm confused. Aren't post bacc programs and SMP the same? Or do you mean master's degree when you say post bacc?

I'm confused. Aren't post bacc programs and SMP the same? Or do you mean master's degree when you say post bacc?
No. Post-bacc programs are additional undergraduate courses and they count toward your undergraduate GPAs. SMPs are Special Master's Programs in which you take graduate courses and they count toward a graduate GPA.

No. Post-bacc programs are additional undergraduate courses and they count toward your undergraduate GPAs. SMPs are Special Master's Programs in which you take graduate courses and they count toward a graduate GPA.

So for example, I have been looking at Nova Southeastern's Master of Biomedical Sciences and Barry University's Biomedical Sciences Master's program. Would these be SMP?

NC State actually has a reasonable, interdisciplinary SMP designed for pre-medical field people that a lot of dental people go to. And the advisory committee knows how to navigate rec letters etc bc thats all they do
You mean reasonable as in cost or in terms of how good the program is at preparing you for dental school and how many of their students get in?

Reasonably priced was my intention, but yes I felt good prep to get in because you can pick and choose some of the higher level sciences to take that look good on your transcript AND can be some good DAT prep - the biochem I took I remember was a super good, inadvertent DAT prep. The phys stuff obviously helped with any of the 1st year gross anatomy too

Thanks! I will for sure write up my take on the program once it is over/if I get accepted to dental school.
Hi there!
I know this is some years later, but I have been looking into this program and saw that you were going through this. May I ask whether this program has gotten you into dental school? Thank you so much!