REA book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SInce I have decided to take the DAT again, I was wondering if anyone remembers the pink REA book for biology. I cant seem to find it anywhere, does anyone know what the name or ISBN number is (if someone has it)!

ALso, for biology, since I practically memorized schaums bio, should i go ahead and study from Human Phys. textbook?

I ordered Examkracker RC annd also going to work from ALgebra textbook (i wish i wouldve done this the first time)!!

But if anyone can help me out with that REA book, I would appreciate it, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the content is exactly the same, I have the older version and I do believe they are no different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously...you gotta start somewhere. Like the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" If you have a decent background in bio you could just read the material over and over again. Some of the essay questions are pretty interesting and make it easy to memorize. For each question you could just memorize the key terms and mentally map out how those terms come together to answer the specific question. The questions at the end of each chapter are really good as well!

I would use the book extensively myself....but I used up all my sadistic energy for chemistry and ochem. Don't get me wrong I'm studying bio hard...but I can't use that book...too long and not enough time.

Seriously...you gotta start somewhere. Like the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" If you have a decent background in bio you could just read the material over and over again. Some of the essay questions are pretty interesting and make it easy to memorize. For each question you could just memorize the key terms and mentally map out how those terms come together to answer the specific question. The questions at the end of each chapter are really good as well!

I would use the book extensively myself....but I used up all my sadistic energy for chemistry and ochem. Don't get me wrong I'm studying bio hard...but I can't use that book...too long and not enough time.
So which bio helper are you using the most?

Also, what are you using for Gchem and Math?

also what are you using for PAT practice?

PAT: cliffs (pretty decent better than barrons), kaplan subject tests, achiever. Nonetheless, I suck at PAT...that being said if I get a 19 on the PAT I will take off all my clothes and start doing jumping jacks naked right in the middle of the testing center.

Math: Nothing really...just gonna memorize some trig functions and practice probability two weeks out. I dunno...I'm not intimidated by math, but I have heard plenty of horror stories...we'll see

Gchem: Destroyer (meat and potatoes)...I made an extra supplemental booklet by hand selecting a bunch of gchem quantitative problems from multiple sources...(50% from 3000 solved problems in gchem, 30% from barrons AP Chemistry, and the remaining from my textbook). I think destroyer conceptual/descriptive chemistry is great. If you need an extra refresher for gchem...Barrons AP Chemistry is awesome.

Ochem: Organic chemistry odyssey. Man I love this book...spent about a month and a half on it. Really good stuff. I know some of you might think that was a waste of time (for one subject)...but there is plenty of material in that book that overlaps with gchem, and ultimately gives you a better perspective on chemistry as a whole.

Bio: Destroyer and achiever. Also, I'm using a book called "Ultimate Study Guide for Biology. Key Review Questions with Answers and Explanations." The book is a little expensive and is divided into three volumes, and cheaply manufactured. Nonetheless, I feel that the content is good. The book format is like destroyer...multiple choice questions with answers. I'm using two volumes which amounts to about 700 extra questions to supplement destroyer and achiever. I think the material is good. There are plenty of oddball questions in there. Let's just say that I'm prepared for the infamous 10 annelid question test...but...we'll have to wait and see the test results.

But Yeah...that REA book is great. I actually used it when I took Bio. The REA problem solvers line is highly underrated in my opinion. First found out about those books when I used to study engineering and bought their books on dynamics and physics. I don't know why everyone has such a hard on over Schuams but...whatever floats your boat. In my opinion...all copies of Schuams should be collected...and recycled into toilet paper. Nevermind, that would be too nice, instead they should be burnt and the charred remains ripped apart by a pack of wild animals.

PAT: cliffs (pretty decent better than barrons), kaplan subject tests, achiever. Nonetheless, I suck at PAT...that being said if I get a 19 on the PAT I will take off all my clothes and start doing jumping jacks naked right in the middle of the testing center.

:laugh: LMAO :laugh: I would be psyched with a 19 as well. Guess I'll get the cliffs for some PAT practice. thanks for the reply

SInce I have decided to take the DAT again, I was wondering if anyone remembers the pink REA book for biology. I cant seem to find it anywhere, does anyone know what the name or ISBN number is (if someone has it)!

ALso, for biology, since I practically memorized schaums bio, should i go ahead and study from Human Phys. textbook?

I ordered Examkracker RC annd also going to work from ALgebra textbook (i wish i wouldve done this the first time)!!

But if anyone can help me out with that REA book, I would appreciate it, Thanks!

Yo...that REA book is enough!!! That book alone is enough to score above 90th percentile on the Bio GRE...I have friends who used that book to accomplish just that. If you memorize that book and don't improve your bio score...the space time continum will collapse and all existence will be wiped out!!!

Yo...that REA book is enough!!! That book alone is enough to score above 90th percentile on the Bio GRE...I have friends who used that book to accomplish just that. If you memorize that book and don't improve your bio score...the space time continum will collapse and all existence will be wiped out!!!

:laugh: :laugh: We wouldnt want the time continum to collapse, the all the gate will be open and the DAT and all other things in life as we know will be gone forever. Whow would in their right mind want to get rid of such an awesome test like DAT, which sucks you dry from any fun!!!

Anyways, I am just afraid that I have to do better than 22 in bio!! I have to take it again because of my low RC and QR score!! I am trying to do all I can to study for RC, its an evil subject!!

But yea hopefully the REA will be like a missing link.

Anyone have any ideas from studying the experimental biology section that ADA specifies!? Had anyone heard of any books for this section?

Experimental bio??? Hmmm...probably watered down biochem/molecular/developmental stuff.

RFLP, PCR, Recombinant DNA, cDNA library, contig map, pulse chase, isoelectric focusing, SDS, southern blot, northern blot, western blot, ELISA, monoclonal antibody vs polyclonal antibody, YAC, gene traps.

Knowing the basics for each of those would probably be good enough to reason through most problems...."what kind of polymerase is used in PCR? Why?" "How do we cleave disulfide bonds?" "Why do we need both lacZ gene and amp resistance gene?" etc....I dunno....if you've taken biochem you'd probably be familiar with most of the above.

Don't know much about developmental...transgenenic mice? haha.

Molecular Biology of the Cell chapter 8. Probably everything you need to know for experimental. I only suggest MBC because you are a Bio machine!!! and insist on going all out for Bio....so....why not go for broke?

Molecular Biology of the Cell chapter 8. Probably everything you need to know for experimental. I only suggest MBC because you are a Bio machine!!! and insist on going all out for Bio....so....why not go for broke?

loll, thanks man!! what book is the CHap. 8 from?

The book title is MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. Alberts is one of the authors (actually written by 4 people I think). It's a very very thick book....but ch 8 is good for experimental biology. Too expensive to buy just for DAT purposes (not to mention way way beyond the scope for most subjects). Check your undergraduate library....I'm sure they will have a few on reserve and most likely a few older editions for check out!

Experimental bio??? Hmmm...probably watered down biochem/molecular/developmental stuff.

RFLP, PCR, Recombinant DNA, cDNA library, contig map, pulse chase, isoelectric focusing, SDS, southern blot, northern blot, western blot, ELISA, monoclonal antibody vs polyclonal antibody, YAC, gene traps.

Knowing the basics for each of those would probably be good enough to reason through most problems...."what kind of polymerase is used in PCR? Why?" "How do we cleave disulfide bonds?" "Why do we need both lacZ gene and amp resistance gene?" etc....I dunno....if you've taken biochem you'd probably be familiar with most of the above.

Don't know much about developmental...transgenenic mice? haha.

What he says is right, there were 2 experimental bio on my test yesterday, and studying the listed examples would've covered those 2 (don't need to buy book, just wikipedia or google the it). I still find the hardest subjects to be the taxonomy, ecology stuff.