Reaching out to a family friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lemons565

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on reaching out to a family friend of mine that is currently on the board for a medical school I applied to. I interview at this school soon and don't want to pass up a chance to get in contact with him if there is even the slightest chance it could help. I don't think it will seem desperate or anything due to the fact my stats are higher than their averages that being said this is a school I would love to attend. I was told to write a letter giving a summary of my app but obviously don't want to hurt my chances if you think this is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A family friend should recuse himself from discussing or offering a vote on your candidacy.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say just focus on the interview. Make a good impression and make it clear that you would be happy to attend there.

I feel like sending a letter at this point would be weird and potentially harmful. They reviewed your application and invited you for an interview .. I don't see how a 'summary' of your app would be helpful in any way.

I don't think it will seem desperate or anything due to the fact my stats are higher than their averages
^^ also I feel like that's not the best way to think about things. But I'm not an adcom so what do I know.

Just my two cents though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The summary would go to the friend of mine that is a part of the board but he would not be one of the people reviewing my application in the normal process so he wouldn't know my activities (others than the ones I have spoke to him about over the last few years).

I only through in the bit about stats because from reading some posts on here it seems that a lot of letters are marked as desperate. I just wanted to see if it was worth it because medicine is where I want to be and if something as simple as a letter to a friend could help who wouldn't take that opportunity!

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on reaching out to a family friend of mine that is currently on the board for a medical school I applied to. I interview at this school soon and don't want to pass up a chance to get in contact with him if there is even the slightest chance it could help. I don't think it will seem desperate or anything due to the fact my stats are higher than their averages that being said this is a school I would love to attend. I was told to write a letter giving a summary of my app but obviously don't want to hurt my chances if you think this is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance!
You'll probably be given a polite interview, followed by an even more polite spot on the wait list, and an even more polite rejection at the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll probably be given a polite interview, followed by an even more polite spot on the wait list, and an even more polite rejection at the end of the cycle.

I am already interviewing there. So I am assuming it would be a bad idea?

Your app will speak a lot louder that your friend will.

You've discussed courtesy interviews before in similar terms. Do most institutions actually have a formal designation for interviews offered to under-qualified friends/family of faculty? And is it always mutually exclusive from someone selected on merit?

(e.i. "Professor Goro's best man's son has 3.8/515 MCAT. But since Professor Goro asked we give him a courtesey interview he will not ever be seriously considered.")

If you still want to reach out to your friend, don't sound too selfish or demanding for information. Rather, in a polite way, just express interest by saying things like "i want to perform well for this interview and feel a little anxious, I would really appreciate some general advice" or something simple like that (make it sound more formal of course). That way, it may show your friend that you care about the quality of your interview performance. Yes, you may already know how to perform well in an interview, but again, it expresses some interest in his direction. And obviously, thank him whether or not he gives any good/bad/none information. Method of contact: if you know him on a very very very very personal level, give a call. However, email is your best bet.

I also agree with everything said above.

Reactions: 1 user
If your relative had any integrity, they will stay out of it

Reactions: 1 users
You've discussed courtesy interviews before in similar terms. Do most institutions actually have a formal designation for interviews offered to under-qualified friends/family of faculty? And is it always mutually exclusive from someone selected on merit?

(e.i. "Professor Goro's best man's son has 3.8/515 MCAT. But since Professor Goro asked we give him a courtesey interview he will not ever be seriously considered.")
We call them coutesty interviews.

If someone gets an II on merit, then there's no need to pull strings, and if the candidate has a bad interview, strings really aren't going to help. But legacy accepts do occur.