Reading Campbell's textbook during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone! I have a silly question about managing Campbell's textbook reading. Especially to those who are attendings now! Did you read ALL the textbook during the residency? What kind of reading method did you use for that textbook? Did you just read it once in order to have an idea of the book? DId you read well only a few chapters during your residency, especially those that were talking about your patients' disease?
I am medical graduate aiming Urology. And I am thinking just reading it once for curiocity now, the whole one! But as my schedule is going to be really tight in the future, I think I will have as a bible "Pocket Guide to Urology" and a surgical atlas and AUA's curriculum. But the point is how should I approach Campbell's, when the time is so little and you have to maximize your knowledge?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to everyone! I have a silly question about managing Campbell's textbook reading. Especially to those who are attendings now! Did you read ALL the textbook during the residency? What kind of reading method did you use for that textbook? Did you just read it once in order to have an idea of the book? DId you read well only a few chapters during your residency, especially those that were talking about your patients' disease?
I am medical graduate aiming Urology. And I am thinking just reading it once for curiocity now, the whole one! But as my schedule is going to be really tight in the future, I think I will have as a bible "Pocket Guide to Urology" and a surgical atlas and AUA's curriculum. But the point is how should I approach Campbell's, when the time is so little and you have to maximize your knowledge?

Campbell’s is dense, reading it without context you are unlikely to retain much and you will move slowly. Start with things like you mentioned, welders, Cote curriculum from AUA, etc. Then when you have a chance (research months, before education conference etc.) read a specific Campbell’s chapter for a specific purpose. Most residencies will have a weekly education conference or Campbell’s conference or what not, use that as an opportunity to more in depth with Campbell’s on a specific topic.

Agreed. I started off trying to read Campbell's, but it's too dense and has too much extraneous information. I would read it for our Campbell's conferences, but study other things for inservice/boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found Campbells impossible to read if you try to just sit down and read it for a few hours. However, it is a fantastic resource to look up a specific topic. I still use it now that I am in practice that way. For example, patient comes in with a UPJ obstruction, read the chapter. Especially for some of the most common problems it can be very detailed and well sourced.

I did it over three years period. It was like a leisure reading for me. I have hold an interest on textbooks since medical school. I had also read Robbin's Pathology and Guyton's Physiology twice in medical school.

Anyway, it is not reasonable to lose such a time. For most of the situations, guidelines are enough.