Reading commprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I taled to USC's advisor Eva Yung about my application staff. She specifically mentioned about reading part. She said it is "quite" important. Does anyone worry about this part or how do you prepare for this in DAT? I heard from the classmate who had taken DAT that if you can follow Kaplan's courses, it would be fine. Could you talk about this part? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplans strategy may work for a few people, but for most it hurts them. The key with Kaplans strategy is to practice many times and not many people do that.

1.) number your paragraphs
2.) write a sentence or two about what each paragraph is about
3.) when you answer the question you will have to go back to the paragraph and it should be easier to find the key "topic".

It's all about pacing.

DesiDentist

Maybe I got lucky, but when I took my DAT, all the reading passages were of basic sciences. Most of the questions didnt even require the passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ever read the passage if you are a slow reader. Read the question first and then go hunt for the answer. It works for me quite well.
T

I was just wondering.......are the Kaplan/topscore passages representitive of what is actually on the DAT??

Also, to those of you DAT veterans, it would be awesome if you guys could give info on what types of passages you had on the DAT, for example; 1 Bio and 2 Dental passages or 1 Bio, 1 society stuff, and 1 Dental.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what kinds of passages will be on the DAT b/c the Kaplan passages are not that bad. Again, any and all input is APPRECIATED GREATLY!!!:clap: :clap:

ONE more teeny thing....did you guys type out your supplemental or secondaries?????? THANKS!!

I had all 3 bio passage, but my friend had 2 bio passages and 1 economy. It varies, so just practice your reading daily anything that you feel like reading will help.
T

i agree with tinker bell. The passage could be on anything
I got a weird passage about stock value. It made me calculate stock price.

Ali and my classmate must have gotten the same test. My classmate said that he got a stock passage too and it drove him crazy because the guy has no idea what is a share. Isn't that funny? But not very funny in my friend way, he ended up scoring really bad. But do practice reading everyday from Smithsonian and money, forbes magazine and stuff. All the best to you!
T

I had three passages that dealt with Biology or physiology. The majority of the reading seemed to be at about a high-school level. Nearly all the questions asked me something regarding a specific sentence in a paragraph, and the paragraph was directly alluded to ("In paragraph 3, what does the author mean by the term 'ovaries'?"). Very simple stuff.