Reading Comp Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have been trying for the past week to figure out the best strategie for reading comp... and I finally figured it out. Before I was doing what Kaplan said and reading the whole thing and doing the Map with the key words. Well this is a total WASTE of time. The best thing to do, which is nearly fool proof is:

Read the 1st line and the last line of each paragraph. Write down the words from the paragraphs that stick out like:

key words/terms like: "increased" or "_____ protein"
exclamation words like: "surprisingly"

This really takes like 1-2 minutes to do instead of Kaplan's way which they say takes 4-5 min. When I was doing it Kaplan's way it was taking me a lot more like 10 minutes. I haven't encountered any questions yet that I wouldn't be able to find the answer to this way. Remember the passages were written by good writers! So they all have been formatted well.. you know with a THESIS statement and Closing statement... those little things that are Lit and English teachers tried to get us to do! Anyway.. hope this helps. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

hey lovely,
what you are trying to say here makes total sense, but most people who have seen the actual test told me that paragraphs are not that like that and everything is kinda scattered here and there (at least for one out of three passages)
goood shot thu, pm me