Reading Comprehension tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read science articles every day for the last 2 months, and I have taken 3 practice RC tests so far. My first attempt was on DAT Genius and I made a 20. My last 2 attempts have been on Bootcamp, and I have made a 19 and a 17 :(. Also, I ran out of time on the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any advice for time management on RC or any other useful tips? I feel like this is the one topic that you can't extensively study for with resources like Destroyer or Bootcamp and I'm not sure what to do. I take my DAT on August 22nd

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I can recommend is practice! What's your method when you do the questions? You need to find the method that works the best for you

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I do and it worked out for me. I quickly scroll through the whole passages on my way to the first question. This accomplishes 2 things. I see how long the passage is, I see what the first question is asking. I then read the next 3 questions to know what they ask. this should take about 30-45 seconds.

I then read about half of the the essay. about 3- 3.5 minutes (If it is like 15+ paragraphs id go thirds. but about 13 half) . I answer questions, then read next quarter answer questions. By now should be about 8-9 minutes left. S&D the last quarter to 1/3 depending on where you break to answer questions.

Bootcamps questions aren't in order. The DAT mine were all in order, may 1-2 had information all parts of the paper. these were tone types.

I finished with 10 minutes left after i had reviewed everything. a few tone questions stumped me. I think thats only spot i lost points.

I gave myself a massage no joke during the last 10 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
I found bc to be far more difficult than the actually DAT. On the actually DAT could answer the questions as I read the text. The questions seem to be more simple and they were generally questions you can pick out right of the text. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found bc to be far more difficult than the actually DAT. On the actually DAT could answer the questions as I read the text. The questions seem to be more simple and they were generally questions you can pick out right of the text. Good luck!

Second this!!

I've read science articles every day for the last 2 months, and I have taken 3 practice RC tests so far. My first attempt was on DAT Genius and I made a 20. My last 2 attempts have been on Bootcamp, and I have made a 19 and a 17 :(. Also, I ran out of time on the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any advice for time management on RC or any other useful tips? I feel like this is the one topic that you can't extensively study for with resources like Destroyer or Bootcamp and I'm not sure what to do. I take my DAT on August 22nd
What is the strategy you are doing for RC? It may be worth it to try a different strategy.

Additionally, the RC on the DAT is much easier.

Reactions: 1 users
A valuable skill is to know when to skip a question that is out of order or is a tone/interpretation question! Saves lotttt of time

This is what I do and it worked out for me. I quickly scroll through the whole passages on my way to the first question. This accomplishes 2 things. I see how long the passage is, I see what the first question is asking. I then read the next 3 questions to know what they ask. this should take about 30-45 seconds.

I then read about half of the the essay. about 3- 3.5 minutes (If it is like 15+ paragraphs id go thirds. but about 13 half) . I answer questions, then read next quarter answer questions. By now should be about 8-9 minutes left. S&D the last quarter to 1/3 depending on where you break to answer questions.

Bootcamps questions aren't in order. The DAT mine were all in order, may 1-2 had information all parts of the paper. these were tone types.

I finished with 10 minutes left after i had reviewed everything. a few tone questions stumped me. I think thats only spot i lost points.

I gave myself a massage no joke during the last 10 minutes.
My questions were out of order on both my RCs lol xD.

I've been using the "search and destroy" method
Do you like that method? You can use a modified version. I find pure S+D or pure reading too stressful. I feel like a lot of ppl use the strategy I did and I'm definitely not the first to come up with it. Feel free to ask me anything about it/read it on my breakdown.

Do you like that method? You can use a modified version. I find pure S+D or pure reading too stressful. I feel like a lot of ppl use the strategy I did and I'm definitely not the first to come up with it. Feel free to ask me anything about it/read it on my breakdown.

I'll definitely take a look. Thank you!