Samin23

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I've read science articles every day for the last 2 months, and I have taken 3 practice RC tests so far. My first attempt was on DAT Genius and I made a 20. My last 2 attempts have been on Bootcamp, and I have made a 19 and a 17 :(. Also, I ran out of time on the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any advice for time management on RC or any other useful tips? I feel like this is the one topic that you can't extensively study for with resources like Destroyer or Bootcamp and I'm not sure what to do. I take my DAT on August 22nd

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
The only thing I can recommend is practice! What's your method when you do the questions? You need to find the method that works the best for you

Reactions: Samin23

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
This is what I do and it worked out for me. I quickly scroll through the whole passages on my way to the first question. This accomplishes 2 things. I see how long the passage is, I see what the first question is asking. I then read the next 3 questions to know what they ask. this should take about 30-45 seconds.

I then read about half of the the essay. about 3- 3.5 minutes (If it is like 15+ paragraphs id go thirds. but about 13 half) . I answer questions, then read next quarter answer questions. By now should be about 8-9 minutes left. S&D the last quarter to 1/3 depending on where you break to answer questions.

Bootcamps questions aren't in order. The DAT mine were all in order, may 1-2 had information all parts of the paper. these were tone types.

I finished with 10 minutes left after i had reviewed everything. a few tone questions stumped me. I think thats only spot i lost points.

I gave myself a massage no joke during the last 10 minutes.

O Gaúcho

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I found bc to be far more difficult than the actually DAT. On the actually DAT could answer the questions as I read the text. The questions seem to be more simple and they were generally questions you can pick out right of the text. Good luck!

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I found bc to be far more difficult than the actually DAT. On the actually DAT could answer the questions as I read the text. The questions seem to be more simple and they were generally questions you can pick out right of the text. Good luck!
Second this!!

DMikes

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I've read science articles every day for the last 2 months, and I have taken 3 practice RC tests so far. My first attempt was on DAT Genius and I made a 20. My last 2 attempts have been on Bootcamp, and I have made a 19 and a 17 :(. Also, I ran out of time on the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any advice for time management on RC or any other useful tips? I feel like this is the one topic that you can't extensively study for with resources like Destroyer or Bootcamp and I'm not sure what to do. I take my DAT on August 22nd
What is the strategy you are doing for RC? It may be worth it to try a different strategy.

Additionally, the RC on the DAT is much easier.

Reactions: Samin23 and hdkyu10

hdkyu10

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
A valuable skill is to know when to skip a question that is out of order or is a tone/interpretation question! Saves lotttt of time

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
This is what I do and it worked out for me. I quickly scroll through the whole passages on my way to the first question. This accomplishes 2 things. I see how long the passage is, I see what the first question is asking. I then read the next 3 questions to know what they ask. this should take about 30-45 seconds.

I then read about half of the the essay. about 3- 3.5 minutes (If it is like 15+ paragraphs id go thirds. but about 13 half) . I answer questions, then read next quarter answer questions. By now should be about 8-9 minutes left. S&D the last quarter to 1/3 depending on where you break to answer questions.

Bootcamps questions aren't in order. The DAT mine were all in order, may 1-2 had information all parts of the paper. these were tone types.

I finished with 10 minutes left after i had reviewed everything. a few tone questions stumped me. I think thats only spot i lost points.

I gave myself a massage no joke during the last 10 minutes.
My questions were out of order on both my RCs lol xD.

OP
Samin23

Samin23

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
What is the strategy you are doing for RC? It may be worth it to try a different strategy.

Additionally, the RC on the DAT is much easier.
I've been using the "search and destroy" method

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I've been using the "search and destroy" method
Do you like that method? You can use a modified version. I find pure S+D or pure reading too stressful. I feel like a lot of ppl use the strategy I did and I'm definitely not the first to come up with it. Feel free to ask me anything about it/read it on my breakdown.

OP
Samin23

Samin23

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Do you like that method? You can use a modified version. I find pure S+D or pure reading too stressful. I feel like a lot of ppl use the strategy I did and I'm definitely not the first to come up with it. Feel free to ask me anything about it/read it on my breakdown.
I'll definitely take a look. Thank you!