Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
quick question about reading portion. I found out that going straight to the questions and scaning the passage for answers doesn't work for me. I prefer to scan the passage for keywords and topics , write things down then answer the questions. Hower, I get frustrated and stuck when it comes to what is the authors opinion or what does the passage imply or the tone of the author etc. Please need advice.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Awuah29 said:
Hi,
quick question about reading portion. I found out that going straight to the questions and scaning the passage for answers doesn't work for me. I prefer to scan the passage for keywords and topics , write things down then answer the questions. Hower, I get frustrated and stuck when it comes to what is the authors opinion or what does the passage imply or the tone of the author etc. Please need advice.
thanks

Try reading the entire passage as a whole first (read every word, which takes around 8 to 9 minutes). While you are reading, try to recognize (don't write anything b/c you are wasting your time) the overall structure of the passage like where different points are. Then spent the next 10 minutes answering the questions. You will find it so much easier and would be able to answer all the author opinions and tone questions.

E. coli said:
Try reading the entire passage as a whole first (read every word, which takes around 8 to 9 minutes). While you are reading, try to recognize (don't write anything b/c you are wasting your time) the overall structure of the passage like where different points are. Then spent the next 10 minutes answering the questions. You will find it so much easier and would be able to answer all the author opinions and tone questions.

anyone agree with E.coli. I mean if I read the entire passage and go to the question I might have to go back to the text again . Am I not loosing time ?

I wrote the keywords and all of the important stuff. When it came the author's opinion and anything not based on factual data. I just guessed. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Awuah29 said:
Hi,
thanks

hm. well, this is what i did. hope this helps.
while studying for the exam, i tried to familiarize myself with all types of passages. (i remember struggling with this section the most when taking practice tests so i wanted to be ready for any type of passage i might encounter on test day). over time, i trained myself to pull out important key information from the passages that MAY be asked later on in the question sections while reading through the passage 1 time through. by the end, i was able to gather the author's tone, main point, etc... as well as noting any potential info that might come up in the questions. sounds more complicated than it really sounds. -- basically, just practice as much as you can, pinpoint your weaknesses and focus on them.

i hope i didn't confuse you...
gluck.

i think RC strategies cany vary highly, do what u're most comfortable with.

as for me, i hate looking for keywords, b/c i couldn't look for them afterwards anyways. i just briefly skimmed (2-3mins) and when hunting for answers. not very structured. but i got accustomed to doing it that way.

I think Reading Comprehension methods vary. It works for some people, and it doesn't work for other. So you really have to practice and see which one fits you.