Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Austin1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am new to this board, but have been reading some very great posts the last few weeks so I decided to join. Ok...here is the situation-- I am taking the DAT Jan. 8 and I need to know if the best strategy is to read the whole insert, or just read the question and pick out the answers from the insert at random. Any response is much appreciated. THanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

dont' worry about reading comprehension. Unless you get a weird reading passage, you will do okay w/o studying. I think I just read first two paragraphs first then looked at the questions.
Then, I just started lookin for the answers in the passage.
It's easy to find answeres because you can just scroll down anytime.
But then, i think I got lucky because I got the passages on the subjects that I was familiar with.
This wasn't much help, was it?
well.. good luck~

I got a 27 on the reading section with a strategy that I think works pretty well. Well, it worked for me at least. I came up with this method on my own because I thought the kaplan method they taught us was good for taking a paper test but absolutely worthless for taking a computerized exam.

First, I quickly skimmed the section before I read the questions. What I was looking for in this initial skim was just the main idea and "flow" of the section. By "flow," I am mean, where does each paragraph direct you. I don't really mean to find the main idea of each paragraph, as figuring that out would take too much time. Also, do not read every sentance in detail. In fact, it helps if you just read one or two sentances per paragraph and just glance at the rest. It also helps if you get in the mentality to anticipate questions as you quickly skim the section. This will help you remember details quickly. Then, after this quick skim (which shouldn't take longer than 3 or 4 minutes), goto each question in order. Now, as you read the question you should have at least a small sense of where you can go to find the answer. This strategy also helps because it seemed to me that many of the questions were slight tricks. That is, if you read the question without reading the entire passage beforehand you would either assume the wrong answer, or look in the wrong place for the answer. That brings me to another point. Never ever assume anything. I think alot of people will be looking at the clock and panicking as they read the questions. Sometimes you'll read a question and find something in the passage that sort of makes sense as the answer, or something that gives you part of the answer. Resist the temptation to make assumptions, as they are often wrong. Make sure you are positive of the answer before you put it in.

Using my method I not only did better on the reading section than any other, but I also had a few minutes left at the end of the section so I could relax a little before the dreaded math section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets see, if I remember one of mine was about a rock that came from mars with bacteria on it, or something like that. I honestly completely forget what the other ones were about. They were all science related, but there was nothing to technical about them. I'm pretty sure you don't need any outside information, other than a pretty good understanding of the English language, in order to do well.

I got the rock one as well plus one about aging or something.
The method i used which helped secure a 25 was to read the passage quickly and re-reading paragraphs that seemed complex. Then i went through every question and answered the ones that were obvious. After that, go back and hunt for answers. Depending on how fast of a reader you are, this section can be a total pain in the ass, the clocks ticking, youre getting random ass questions, you are three hours into your test, your eyes are tired from staring at a computer. Man I'm glad im done with that. Youll do fine, just pace yourself but work as fast as you can. I guess thats terrible advice.

I had the rock question and I think something about diabetes. And yes, they are always about science.

hey,

i would skim quickly then hunt for the answers. i got a 29 on this section using this method. i say don't worry to much on this part. not worth studying at all. good luck!

I can't remember but I think one was on behavioral psychology or somethign liek that. A friend of mine who took it got a passage on stock market. The passage was on some weird equation about stock market. So, you might get one outta nowhere, but you are most likely get all three passages on science.

Actually, the reading comp isn't all science. Sometimes they will have some sort on non-science passage. My passages were about the nervous system, introduction to the stock market, and something else that I can't remember. I wouldn't sweat too much about it......what worked for me was looking at the question first and then looking for the answer in the passage. It really depends on the person though. Hope this helps!