Reading glasses for suspected (pseudo)myopia

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warrioractual1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm a (bio)medical student from a country far away (age = early twenties).
I had an eye checkup and apparently I have slight myopia and a bit of astigmatism:
-0.5 diopters of myopia and -0.75 cylinder.

Now I've read the research about the usage of positive lenses for the resolving and/or prevention of myopia.
I know it's a controversial subject, but people seem to agree that, at least, the use of positive lenses in a pseudomyopic person could work by reducing and preventing further cilliary muscle spasms.

Is there any harm in trying to wear reading glasses when doing near work, as to move the far point of my eyes to the distance at which the near object is located?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

I'm a (bio)medical student from a country far away (age = early twenties).
I had an eye checkup and apparently I have slight myopia and a bit of astigmatism:
-0.5 diopters of myopia and -0.75 cylinder.

Now I've read the research about the usage of positive lenses for the resolving and/or prevention of myopia.
I know it's a controversial subject, but people seem to agree that, at least, the use of positive lenses in a pseudomyopic person could work by reducing and preventing further cilliary muscle spasms.

Is there any harm in trying to wear reading glasses when doing near work, as to move the far point of my eyes to the distance at which the near object is located?

Current research suggests atropine may work

http://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(15)00675-2/pdf

Of course the mean age in the study was 9-10, so who knows if there's a benefit for older folks.

Current research suggests atropine may work

http://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(15)00675-2/pdf

Of course the mean age in the study was 9-10, so who knows if there's a benefit for older folks.
Hm, interesting. It seems that prevention of myopia progression was the study's focus.
What do you think about the questions posited by me?

- Would reading glasses be worth trying in a pseudomyopic person? And what about the same in a myopic person?
- How big would you estimate the chance that a person (like myself) with low myopia, is pseudomyopic rather than myopic?
- Can reading glasses do any harm, or actually speed progression of myopia, in a person such as myself who has -0.5 D and -0.75 D cyl?

-what makes you think you are pseudomyopic? that is something that your eye doctor would determine in office (for example cycloplegic results showing hyperopia).
-myopic progression research applies to children to stop the eye from lengthening as they grow. You're an adult; there is no good evidence that anything will help as far as progression goes; your prescription should be pretty static.
-reading glasses, even in children, is poorly supported to be a useful tool in myopic progression; most support goes to ortho-k
-no evidence to suggest reading glasses will cause harm nor benefit in your case

In a fun sidebar, this is purely off-label but Pacific's faculty have suggested an inside-out -10D Air Optix Night and day creates a reverse-geometry architecture that can be used for ortho K in -0.50 to -1.25 patients. I thought that was kind of cool.

Reactions: 1 user