Reading list for Neurology enthusiast?

Started by deleted981412
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted981412

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm applying to medical school, so my apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. I studied Neuroscience, and fell in love with it. Although I hear Neurology is not so hotly desired,I would love to learn more about the field that I think I could see myself in. Did you like any books (fiction/non-fiction) that you'd like to share with a prospie?
 
Hi, I'm applying to medical school, so my apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. I studied Neuroscience, and fell in love with it. Although I hear Neurology is not so hotly desired,I would love to learn more about the field that I think I could see myself in. Did you like any books (fiction/non-fiction) that you'd like to share with a prospie?

Phantoms in the Brain by VS ramachandran is a good book that I liked early in Med school that got me interested in neuroscience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm applying to medical school, so my apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. I studied Neuroscience, and fell in love with it. Although I hear Neurology is not so hotly desired,I would love to learn more about the field that I think I could see myself in. Did you like any books (fiction/non-fiction) that you'd like to share with a prospie?

Im also a premed but
Madness and memory by Stanley Prusiner re/prion diseases. Super fascinating
 
So many great books about neurology! I majored in comparative literature; am now a neurologist and teach literature + medicine to premeds and med students, so this question is right up my alley.

Some of my favorites:
- Brain on Fire by Susannah Calahan
- anything by Oliver Sacks
- anything by Lisa Genova (a neuroscientist who writes novels about neurological illnesses; I particularly like Inside the O'Briens, about a family with Huntington disease)
- stealth neurology in 19th century novels: best description of Parkinson disease I've ever seen is in Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. Ditto locked-in syndrome with Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo

Happy reading!