Reading passages for PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublehh03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it necessary? i did my first practcie test and i found myself doing the problems w/o reading the passages for all but 2 passages.

is this typical?

Members don't see this ad.

It works on the older practice tests, but of late the MCAT is becoming more reading comprehension even in physics. Itll come down to what kind of test you get on test day.

yea man i wouldnt skip it! these days they tend to put questions and info in passage meant to through you off...like in test 8....the passage entirely speaks of intensity, and in the question tehy ask you to apply I and somethign else...nowhere do u find I in the passage but hidden in the diagram...i got confused thinking it was intensity and scrwed up!
I know that makes it look like reading passage is bad...but im just saying that the info can be anywhere, even in the passage itself, skipping it, or skimming may make u miss important stuff that would otherwise make the question easy...then you'll waste a lot of time and/or get it wrong. so read it, but read it fast....instead of trying to understand it, just read for whats there so that during any question you will b able to think, oh yea its asking for such and such in the passage. and remember to read all the equations in the passage ....just because a quetion doesnt ask you to solve math questions doesnt mean you wont need to know the equation in the passage...for example, a question might ask relationship between length and frequency and you would only know that from teh equation in teh passage...etc.

surag said:
yea man i wouldnt skip it! these days they tend to put questions and info in passage meant to through you off...like in test 8....the passage entirely speaks of intensity, and in the question tehy ask you to apply I and somethign else...nowhere do u find I in the passage but hidden in the diagram...i got confused thinking it was intensity and scrwed up!
I know that makes it look like reading passage is bad...but im just saying that the info can be anywhere, even in the passage itself, skipping it, or skimming may make u miss important stuff that would otherwise make the question easy...then you'll waste a lot of time and/or get it wrong. so read it, but read it fast....instead of trying to understand it, just read for whats there so that during any question you will b able to think, oh yea its asking for such and such in the passage. and remember to read all the equations in the passage ....just because a quetion doesnt ask you to solve math questions doesnt mean you wont need to know the equation in the passage...for example, a question might ask relationship between length and frequency and you would only know that from teh equation in teh passage...etc.

Haha... I made the exact SAME mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kikaku21 said:
Haha... I made the exact SAME mistake.

glad to know that! really! it just confirms my idea that they'll do anything to f*** with your mind! these guys know ppl study content, so they turn to other ways to scrw us. the way i see it, i think its theri way of seeing how well u understand content. if you're sure u know what ur talking about these thigns shouldnt mess u up, u should be like, no way, i kno im right so lemme read the passage/question/answers more carefully...thats what im gonn do for this test

surag said:
glad to know that! really! it just confirms my idea that they'll do anything to f*** with your mind! these guys know ppl study content, so they turn to other ways to scrw us. the way i see it, i think its theri way of seeing how well u understand content. if you're sure u know what ur talking about these thigns shouldnt mess u up, u should be like, no way, i kno im right so lemme read the passage/question/answers more carefully...thats what im gonn do for this test

hmmm

8 was still better than 9 for me... went from 37 to 33... ick Three of those points were lost in PS....

oh wow, i thought 9 was really easy....i jumped from 11 on 7, 10 on 8 and to a 14, had i been more careful it would have been a 15!

so far my trend has been up, whenever i drop or dont do as well, its because i was careless. if i read carefully and thoroughly, on 7 i would have had a 14, on 8 probably a 13 since some stuff i wasnt familiar

bio same deal, vs isnt so much a problem....oh well, cant wait for this to b over

I took my PS score from a 6 to a 10 by reading the passages thoroughly. 80% of what you need to answer the questions are in the passage.