Reading pre-CA1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masteropuppets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Set to begin CA-1 year soon, any suggestions for reading material that can reasonably be finished and retained in the next 3 months??

Members don't see this ad.

baby miller is more than enough at this point

Just start reading M and M. Thats everyones Main source as a CA1 anyway. Baby miller is a good second choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts on the new Baby Miller? I'm a PGY-1, and I have the previous edition. Is the new one worth getting? Thanks.

The new Baby Miller is a very nice book. Much better than last edition.

Beineg neurotic, I am reading both Baby Miller and M&M right now. Baby Miller is a very easy read, but M&M is a little more "meat".

Morgan & Mikhail, aka Lange. Very good book. One of my attendings who's only a couple of years out says it's all you need to know for boards. (of course you have to know every word inside and out)

yeah, mikhail and morgan covers pretty much everything you need to know. i've been primarily reading/reviewing this since beginning of residency. last year, i got a passing score on the inservice (this year for it's for real).

there are a ton of books out there. tough to pick just one you'd need. everything else being equal, go with mikhail & morgan.

by the way, did anyone else see that they're recalling the "handbook of anesthesiology 2007-2008 ed." by mark ezekiel md? apparently it contains a "fatal" error. thought that was interesting. makes me wonder what the error was, though.

Morgan & Mikhail, aka Lange. Very good book. One of my attendings who's only a couple of years out says it's all you need to know for boards. (of course you have to know every word inside and out)

I suggest that anyone starting as a CA-1 in July should read M & M. I was an FP and switched to anesthesia. I read the first 15 chapters of M & M. It made a huge difference. I had very little exposure to anesthesia prior to starting as a Ca-1. The pharm sections are great. I have read some of Baby Miller but I like M & M more. I have have done well thus far on my ITE's and I credit that to M & M. In the final analysis you are ultimately responsible for your education. Whatever you do, read something before you start your anesthesia residency.

CambieMD