1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Reading pre-CA1

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by masteropuppets, Apr 10, 2007.

1. masteropuppets

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Set to begin CA-1 year soon, any suggestions for reading material that can reasonably be finished and retained in the next 3 months??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    baby miller is more than enough at this point

4. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just start reading M and M. Thats everyones Main source as a CA1 anyway. Baby miller is a good second choice.

5. barkster

barkster Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Baby Miller? I'm a PGY-1, and I have the previous edition. Is the new one worth getting? Thanks.

6. PainNGas

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The new Baby Miller is a very nice book. Much better than last edition.

Beineg neurotic, I am reading both Baby Miller and M&M right now. Baby Miller is a very easy read, but M&M is a little more "meat".

7. pharmer

pharmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What does M&M stand for (aside from morbidity and mortality)?

8. drrosenrosen

drrosenrosen Anesthesiologist/Pain Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Morgan & Mikhail, aka Lange. Very good book. One of my attendings who's only a couple of years out says it's all you need to know for boards. (of course you have to know every word inside and out)

9. VolatileAgent

VolatileAgent Livin' the dream
    7+ Year Member

yeah, mikhail and morgan covers pretty much everything you need to know. i've been primarily reading/reviewing this since beginning of residency. last year, i got a passing score on the inservice (this year for it's for real).

there are a ton of books out there. tough to pick just one you'd need. everything else being equal, go with mikhail & morgan.

by the way, did anyone else see that they're recalling the "handbook of anesthesiology 2007-2008 ed." by mark ezekiel md? apparently it contains a "fatal" error. thought that was interesting. makes me wonder what the error was, though.

10. CambieMD

CambieMD cambiemd
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I suggest that anyone starting as a CA-1 in July should read M & M. I was an FP and switched to anesthesia. I read the first 15 chapters of M & M. It made a huge difference. I had very little exposure to anesthesia prior to starting as a Ca-1. The pharm sections are great. I have read some of Baby Miller but I like M & M more. I have have done well thus far on my ITE's and I credit that to M & M. In the final analysis you are ultimately responsible for your education. Whatever you do, read something before you start your anesthesia residency.

CambieMD