Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Reading pre-CA1

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by masteropuppets, Apr 10, 2007.

1. masteropuppets

Resident [Any Field]
    Set to begin CA-1 year soon, any suggestions for reading material that can reasonably be finished and retained in the next 3 months??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER

Resident [Any Field]
    baby miller is more than enough at this point

4. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Just start reading M and M. Thats everyones Main source as a CA1 anyway. Baby miller is a good second choice.

5. barkster

barkster Junior Member

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Baby Miller? I'm a PGY-1, and I have the previous edition. Is the new one worth getting? Thanks.

6. PainNGas

Resident [Any Field]
    The new Baby Miller is a very nice book. Much better than last edition.

Beineg neurotic, I am reading both Baby Miller and M&M right now. Baby Miller is a very easy read, but M&M is a little more "meat".

7. pharmer

pharmer Senior Member

What does M&M stand for (aside from morbidity and mortality)?

8. drrosenrosen

drrosenrosen Anesthesiologist/Pain Physician

Attending Physician
    Morgan & Mikhail, aka Lange. Very good book. One of my attendings who's only a couple of years out says it's all you need to know for boards. (of course you have to know every word inside and out)

9. VolatileAgent

VolatileAgent Livin' the dream

yeah, mikhail and morgan covers pretty much everything you need to know. i've been primarily reading/reviewing this since beginning of residency. last year, i got a passing score on the inservice (this year for it's for real).

there are a ton of books out there. tough to pick just one you'd need. everything else being equal, go with mikhail & morgan.

by the way, did anyone else see that they're recalling the "handbook of anesthesiology 2007-2008 ed." by mark ezekiel md? apparently it contains a "fatal" error. thought that was interesting. makes me wonder what the error was, though.

10. CambieMD

CambieMD cambiemd

Attending Physician
    I suggest that anyone starting as a CA-1 in July should read M & M. I was an FP and switched to anesthesia. I read the first 15 chapters of M & M. It made a huge difference. I had very little exposure to anesthesia prior to starting as a Ca-1. The pharm sections are great. I have read some of Baby Miller but I like M & M more. I have have done well thus far on my ITE's and I credit that to M & M. In the final analysis you are ultimately responsible for your education. Whatever you do, read something before you start your anesthesia residency.

CambieMD