Jun 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
How much should you actually read these passages. I followed some peoples advice on not really reading the ps passages unless you need them for one of the questions, and saw a 5 point increase in my practice FL scores. My only thing is im wondering if this will work for the actual mcat. So or those that have or will be taking the mcat, how much do you actually focus on the PS passages?

Jun 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I have AAMC's official guide to the MCAT and it seems that some questions on the PS section you must rely exclusively on passage information, and some not. The passages are not that long; they should take you about 1 minute to read.

I'd say you could probably get away with answering many of the questions on PS without the passage, but this is most certainly not the case with BS or VR.

Good luck.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
If you're hurting for time on PS, I've heard of a bunch of people who either skimmed extremely fast or bypasses passages entirely, only going back if questions necessitated it. But for my part, I found my time to be more effectively used by reading through quickly (but more carefully than just a 'skim'). If I didn't understand something, I usually just moved on. That way, when I got to the questions I knew where to look, without wasting too much time on irrelevant information.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
If you're hurting for time on PS, I've heard of a bunch of people who either skimmed extremely fast or bypasses passages entirely, only going back if questions necessitated it. But for my part, I found my time to be more effectively used by reading through quickly (but more carefully than just a 'skim'). If I didn't understand something, I usually just moved on. That way, when I got to the questions I knew where to look, without wasting too much time on irrelevant information.
I second this!

a winner is you

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a fast reader, I read all the passages before ever looking at the questions for all sections.