reading recommendations for AuD Tech :)

Started by crystal87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crystal87

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Just got a job as an audiology tech, which I'm super excited about. The thing is, I have a premedical background and don't have a whole lot of knowledge in audiology. I have a little bit of time before I start working, and thought it would be good to read up on audiology basics. Can you recommend me some books that are concise but still provide a good overview of the field, common hearing conditions, diagnostic procedures, etc. As a tech, I'll be mainly screening newborns.
 
Hi all,

Just got a job as an audiology tech, which I'm super excited about. The thing is, I have a premedical background and don't have a whole lot of knowledge in audiology. I have a little bit of time before I start working, and thought it would be good to read up on audiology basics. Can you recommend me some books that are concise but still provide a good overview of the field, common hearing conditions, diagnostic procedures, etc. As a tech, I'll be mainly screening newborns.

If you do not mind me asking and seeing as how this interaction is quite anonymous, how well is the salary for a aud. technician?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
James, it can be anywhere from $10k to 25k depending in what state and what setting you're working for.
 
Hi crystal87,

It might work to your benefit to familiarize yourself with typical electrophysiological measures of hearing. Specifically, otoacoustic emissions and the auditory brainstem response are widely used in the assessment of newborn hearing. Newborn hearing screening is also now mandatory by most state laws although I'm not sure what state you're in and of course there could be some exceptions.

Generally the method involved is to administer the [automated] ABR and OAE tests to establish baseline values to monitor hearing status. Comprehensive evaluation should be conducted with the aid of a pediatrician, otolaryngologist, genetic counselor, and opthalmologist in addition to the audiologist to provide early intervention when necessary. Generally speaking, you're trying to identify risk factors for hearing loss and acquire benchmarks and quality indicators with regard to hearing status (screening, identification, and intervention).

Most places I've seen adopt a 1-3-6 rule. Hearing screening by 1 month of age, audiologic and medical evaluations before 3 months of age, and intervention by 6 months. Additionally, if you deal with babies in the NICU generally I've seen that they prefer the ABR instead of the ABR+OAE protocol, but your place might be different. This is because the ABR test is much more sensitive and specific to issues involving kernicterus, hyperbillirubinema, and other disorders including but not limited to auditory neuropathy [spectrum disorders].

There's a couple books if you get really interested in the specific electrophysiological measures commonly used on newborns that I'd recommend.

Jim Hall has a good book called "New Handbook for Auditory Evoked Responses" and gives a thorough overview on all topics related to electrophysiological testing in a general sense, but not specific to newborns/ babies/ children.
ISBN-10: 0205361048 | ISBN-13: 978-0205361045

For a more general review on hearing testing specifically for the pediatric population (newborns to older kids) I'd recommend the Northern and Downs text, "Hearing in Children"
ISBN-10: 0683307649 | ISBN-13: 978-0683307641

If you want something more general I'd absolutely recommend the Stanley Gelfand book, "Essentials of Audiology" because it's so easy to read. It's like, bedtime reading it's written in such a digestible tone!
ISBN-10: 1604060441 | ISBN-13: 978-1604060447

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope that you can touch families lives in a positive and meaningful way!
 
Last edited: