Reading recommendations for upcoming SICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmonhead

Your ego is not your amigo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN fam,

I'm an MS4 planning on going into anesthesiology and have an upcoming Anesthesia/SICU rotation at a major academic center and am really looking to shine on this rotation. What should I read up on ahead of time? This is my first time working in an ICU so I'm a little nervous but I'd like to hit the ground running and be as prepared as possible. Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may lack some of the surgical stuff, but it's the best ICU book for beginners.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with Marino's book but take some things with a grain of salt. It kind of reads like an old opinionated attending's personal take on ICU management. Sometimes it feels like he deviates from common consensus a bit to go on some crusade of some sort. The plus side of it is that this makes it more readable and memorable (less boring). Also, it includes in-text citations, so you can easily check the reliability of claims yourself.

I would also download the journal app in the Apple store. I forget if that's the right name, but the logo is a red square with a white J in it I think. It's about $8, but includes summaries, bottom-lines, and key criticisms for major medical RCTs. You can organize by specialty, and many are anesthesiology or CC. You'll shine for sure if you know the bottom line takeaways and criticisms of the CC studies on there.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Marino's book but take some things with a grain of salt. It kind of reads like an old opinionated attending's personal take on ICU management. Sometimes it feels like he deviates from common consensus a bit to go on some crusade of some sort. The plus side of it is that this makes it more readable and memorable (less boring). Also, it includes in-text citations, so you can easily check the reliability of claims yourself.

I would also download the journal app in the Apple store. I forget if that's the right name, but the logo is a red square with a white J in it I think. It's about $8, but includes summaries, bottom-lines, and key criticisms for major medical RCTs. You can organize by specialty, and many are anesthesiology or CC. You'll shine for sure if you know the bottom line takeaways and criticisms of the CC studies on there.
It's called "the journal club app" and you can get all the info for free from the website www.wikijournalclub.org and I agree that it's an awesome resource.

Just click on critical care and start reading!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys serious? Recommending an 1100 page book full of rambling history to an MS4 for prereading?
Come on now...

Amazon product

Revision Notes in Intensive Care Medicine (Oxford Specialty Training: Revision Texts) Paperback – 1 Jun 2016
by Stuart Gillon (Author)

480 pages. On point. No nonsese.
Its uk but apart from units it has a lot of the same research, drugs etc

Marino's is great. For fellowship and final exams. Not for MS4 who has about 6 seconds free to read

Marino's contains a lot of easy reading, and you don't have to read every chapter. Maybe there are better ones out there though.

Ah I got through it in like 1 month. The chapters are short and like the above mentioned, you don't have to read everything. The first 3 chapters are vascular access I think, which better taught hands on than reading.