Reading requirements at your residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your required reading?

• None, SUCKAS!

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Tintinalli's

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Rosen's

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Harwood-Nuss

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Journal Articles Only, (reading on your own)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Emergency Medicine Clinics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to everyone's reading at each of your institutions. Here at our program, USF, we read Tintinalli's... once a year... so we'll have read it three times during residency. Speaking to one of my attendings this morning (Temple), at the time they had no required reading... so I thought it'd be interesting to see other's schedules...

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad.

We have regularly sceduled tintinallil readings (every week). We have board based quizy things every week over the reading that are composed by the residents. Right now, we have sidelined tintinalli for a board review book in preparation of the inservice. And there has been discussion of changing from tintinalli as everyone is kind of bored with it.

I use it more during shifts. I prefer Rosen for my generalized reading.

Agreed. I like Rosens more than Tits (no TOS violation there) because it incorporates recent EBM as well as goes into more depth in the pathophys, which I think overall helps you remember everything.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Agreed. I like Rosens more than Tits (no TOS violation there) because it incorporates recent EBM as well as goes into more depth in the pathophys, which I think overall helps you remember everything.

Q, DO

It also doesn't suffocate you when you put it on your chest to read at night.

Originally posted by roja
It also doesn't suffocate you when you put it on your chest to read at night.

*hmpf* Insert Tits comment here.

(as in, uh, Tintinalli's... yeah).

Q, DO:wow:

No formal program at ECU. We all get a free copy of Tintinalli's (or Tits, if you prefer) to do with as we please.

I read mine. Cover to cover. Rosen's is, I think, probably a little too big to read in the period from July to the in-service exam. Now I'm working through Rivers, and hopefully also the "Pearls" book we all got copies of too, and doing PEER-VI.

Rivers seems to be the most useful thing of the bunch, IMHO.

Interestingly Harwood-Nuss is at UF-Jax yet we read Tintinalli officially (though it's kind of expected we will quote some info from H-W when we present our chapters of Tintinalli in conference). We get $150 to spend as we please toward some book, PDA software, Audio Digest etc and then we got a required EKG book too.

I actually like Harwood-Nuss' book for the practical side of things when I'm reading up on a patient in the ED. Dispo, medical legal pitfalls, etc that don't get as much attention in other books. Apparently the next edition will have a CD and maybe questions that accompany it.

When you have an editor of Rosen's as Chairman of your Department; it is likely Rosen will be the book of choice.

Tintinalli is a great book though.

We don't have a formal reading requirement, but by resident request, we've started doing River's review every other week. Pretty good... high yield... I read Rosen/Tint as needed.