Reading section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, please share how you prepared yourself for the Reading comprehension section of the dat? I am reading scientific america, but i'm not sure how it is helping me besides i train my eye to read science. Did you do any exercise after reading an article, or you tried to tell the story to someone else? What do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I only did a few practice test on like bootcamp and qvault and felt that was plenty.

I don't necessarily consider myself a fast reader either.

During the exam, I think all of the strategies I prepared went out the window from the pressure of exam conditions and the allotted time.
I just did it vanilla and read through all of them. I made myself believe I liked the stories and some of them were actually interesting.

If I could do it differently, I'd probably do exactly what you're doing. Just get better at reading and understanding articles.
Then it would become natural to recall what the story was about and you can share it with someone or journal it.
It'll help you out in the long run as well as you study in dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I winged mine, for the most part. I think bootcamp is the best thing you can do. It overprepares you for the real thing. I didn't get any "hard" questions on my real RC. None of those 2-part statement questions or anything

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, please share how you prepared yourself for the Reading comprehension section of the dat? I am reading scientific america, but i'm not sure how it is helping me besides i train my eye to read science. Did you do any exercise after reading an article, or you tried to tell the story to someone else? What do you do?

From my experience of working with many students, this can be basic search and destroy easy passages, while others are not so easy and more tone of the author type of questions. Your best bet is to increase your speed and comprehension levels by daily reading. Below is a link you might find helpful regarding tone base questions for the SAT.

I spoke to a student last week who scored 16 in the reading and a 24TS. He stated his passages were all toned based and he had not prepared for it aneedless to say he was shocked.

Wishing you the best.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...identifying-tone-in-critical-reading-passages

From my experience of working with many students, this can be basic search and destroy easy passages, while others are not so easy and more tone of the author type of questions. Your best bet is to increase your speed and comprehension levels by daily reading. Below is a link you might find helpful regarding tone base questions for the SAT.

I spoke to a student last week who scored 16 in the reading and a 24TS. He stated his passages were all toned based and he had not prepared for it aneedless to say he was shocked.

Wishing you the best.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...identifying-tone-in-critical-reading-passages
Would you say that doing SAT practice could really carry into the DAT (tonewise, not length/searchdestroy wise)?

Would you say that doing SAT practice could really carry into the DAT (tonewise, not length/searchdestroy wise)?

That link is just showing techniques in identifying tone type of questions. Nothing is going to exactly represent the DAT passages, again my best advice it to practice reading to improve comprehension and speed. The key is to be able to read 3 passages in 60 minutes and answer questions no matter what type of passage you are presented.

Last edited:
You can get away with search and destroy with maybe one of your passages. But when you have 21 paragraph passages, you will waste time. Your best bet is to skim and write the numbers down of each paragraph where key info is. Then you have a reference point.