Reading suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitingame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I took Kaplan and they suggested doing a roadmap where you read and take notes of what is in each paragraph but I am finding it too slow. So I was wondering which is better just look up the answers to the questions since there all directly out of the passage and not read OR scim real quick and get an idea where stuff is and then look? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I also found this method to be slow at first, but after many many practices, it gets better, and you can easily extract information from the passage. Give it some time, your not going to improve overnight.

I found it quicker to just write a 1-3 word summary of each paragraph. That way your notes don't get too cluttered, and you don't waste too much time writing.

i have the same problem. for me roadmapping, done right (not much detail), doesnt take that long but when it comes to answering the questions i take alot of time searching for the answer. so whats the use lol. i tried to summarize the paragraphs and found it really time consuming.

DRHOYA what did you use to practice? just pick up random books and map them?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have the same problem. for me roadmapping, done right (not much detail), doesnt take that long but when it comes to answering the questions i take alot of time searching for the answer. so whats the use lol. i tried to summarize the paragraphs and found it really time consuming.

DRHOYA what did you use to practice? just pick up random books and map them?

Anything really. I was required to read about 2 scientific journal articles a week for a molecular neuro class I took this past semester, so those were great practice b/c the paragraphs were short and the material was difficult. As for mapping, like others said above, you may not want to "map" out every single detail. A summary of major "words" or "ideas" of each paragraph suffice, then when asked a question you look back at your notes.........and then refer to the section of the paper. A big point is that you don't want to be "overwhelmed" with the difficulty of the content of the passage, thats why I suggest reading graduate/professional science journal articles.