Reading too much into this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornguitar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had an interview on Friday which I thought went very smooth and well. The only worry I have is a question that one of the interviewers asked me. After making it through all of his "difficult" questions unscathed, he asked me if I had applied to any osteopathic schools. I said no and he said ok, the interview was over. Am I reading too much into his final question? I am just curious as to why he would ask me that question right at the end of an interview? Any opinions would be thankful

p.s I have 3.8 and 31 if you think he was questioning any qualifications

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe he thinks you sound like a good D.O student. (wouldn't give out Rx like candy, alternative healing, etc...)

Don't worry about it. It sounds like he was just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my interviewers at Med School X last week asked me if I had any acceptances, and I said I did: a osteopathic school. Then I made a mistake of saying that it wasn't my first-choice school and listed various reasons why. I think I was trying to show him that I was still interested in Med School X, but instead I think I slit my own throat as far as the interview went. :(

I'd probably be reading a lot into the "did you apply to any osteopathic schools" question also, but maybe he was just curious if you like some of the things DOs are known for (prevention, focus on the patient's overall wellbeing, etc)

I think most people (including myself) over-analyze their interviews. The interviewers are looking for three things (not necessarily in this order): 1) can you handle the work 2) can you make a good name for the school after you graduate 3) are you going fit into their class. While a composite of bad answers can affect any/all of these, no 'one' answer (unless it is radical and portrays you as crazy) is going to tip the scales. The idea of the interview is to ask enough questions to get a good picture, several bad answers will ruin the picture, but most normal people expect a few small blotches.

Your stats are absolutely perfect for allo school. I suspect that something you said may have just triggered that question in the mind of the interviewer. For all you know, that interviewer asks everyone that question. Nah, I would not read anything into it. I am finding more and more how difficult it is to "read" the importance of the interview. People with great interviews get accepted. People with just as great interviews get rejected. And vice versa. Really, there is no telling how you did or even if it has an impact on the committee's decision. Good luck to you.

you should worry; you ought to crawl into the fetal position and sit like that until the acceptance comes