Ready to Consider Reapplying MD/PhD, how to do it right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forwhomthedogbarks

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm at the point where I'm mentally preparing to apply next cycle. I applied to 22 schools all MD/PhD with the following stats:

GPA/BCPM-GPA: 3.62/3.70
MCAT: 515
uGrad: Bioengineering and Nutritional Science double major from top ~15 university
Masters: Biomedical Engineering
Research: 5 years, I worked in 3 traditional labs with 1 paper submitted (low impact) and 1 paper in review (Nature), I am co-authors in both. I also worked in medical device development with 3 separate clinicians for different diagnostics leading to one startup as well as some fundraising. Total hours ~4500
Clinical: 200 hours of clinical experience either overseas or shadowing
LoRs: 6 letters: 1 from uGrad, 1 from masters, 1 from internship (one of the medical devices), 1 from current PI, 1 from an MD research supervisor, and 1 from the doc who I started the startup with (another medical device)

I also supported myself through college working 30-35 hours/week in various jobs outside academia. Spoke about this as an opportunity to get away from college elitism and get to know more representative people.

The problem was that I applied to mostly MSTP, and I submitted horribly late (most secondaries done in late Oct/early Nov). Getting some rejected within hour/days kind of indicated that there are likely few to no interview spots left.

Having to check the reapplicant box means I probably need to meet higher standards for all my secondaries. I plan to retake the MCAT and am confident I can get ~518+ (my last practices were in the low 520s). My GPA is pretty much unmovable with over 200 credits in undergrad. I am still doing research but until next summer the only thing I can see happening is getting a publication status for my papers described above.


Am I at a disadvantage for being a re-applicant? I feel like my major flaw was applying so late but if I don't have that much improvement in the next 6 months will I be turned down for people who haven't reapplied?

What else can I do to improve my application success? I'm worried I will not have "significant improvements" and applying earlier is a bad explanation. Having all my secondaries written and essays completed now, I'm sure I can edit and apply earlier with stronger essays.

I hope to apply to the same schools + maybe 5 more safeties and a few MD only. Advice would be appreciated!
 
I have definitely run into a similar problem with applying late. I completed most secondaries by mid-October and was rejected within a couple days at some programs; however, judging by the threads on sdn other applicants have received interview invites even after I was rejected, so they still have some spots for stellar students who haven't applied. Additionally, I wouldn't lose hope just yet because it took me roughly a month before I heard back from schools even after applying pretty much at the end of their cycle. I would look to hear back from most programs around Dec 15, judging by how late you applied that would be a reasonable timeline for other schools to evaluate your app.

Unfortunately, my app is the exact opposite of yours (high stats with very little/mediocre research), so I can't really offer much in the way of advice. Overall, I think you nailed the apply early issue on the head and perhaps some others on here can comment about the MCAT retake idea. My opinion is that a 515 is right around average for MD/PhD applicants, so it might be better to improve other aspects but you seem to have research covered. Lastly, you might want to rack up some baseline amount of non-clinical volunteering just to satisfy the MD-only admissions committee who might be interested in that aspect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.