Ready to pay more taxes!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Salaries used to be half of what they are today in the 90s

Members don't see this ad.

but that was considered a respectable salary 25 years ago, right? Top 20% of earners?

Well in 2000, it was $70k which would be right at $100k today.

My point though is breaking that magical 6 figure number definitely brought in everyone. The money is great and I'd never change but it wasn't the number 1 reason like it is today.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Salaries used to be half of what they are today in the 90s

Inflation.

$60k in 1999 is roughly equivalent to $90k today...
$60k in 1995 is roughly equivalent to $98k today...
$60k in 1990 is roughly equivalent to $116k today...

and that was before a PharmD was required.

Inflation.

$60k in 1999 is roughly equivalent to $90k today...
$60k in 1995 is roughly equivalent to $98k today...
$60k in 1990 is roughly equivalent to $116k today...

and that was before a PharmD was required.

Yet mean household in the us has barely changed.

Pharmacist salaries has beaten inflation but 20 years from now we'll be way behind.

Here is my salary History using the BLS inflation calculator: converted to 2017 dollars

August 1982: $29,250.00/$73,655.00 (New Graduate)

January 2001: $67,000.00/$94,329.57 (Last Salary as an Independent)

February 2001: $72,000.00/$1,009,654.61 (First Salary with National Chain)

Present: $170,000+ present salary = $67,000.00 in 1982 dollars

Here is my salary History using the BLS inflation calculator: converted to 2017 dollars

August 1982: $29,250.00/$73,655.00 (New Graduate)

January 2001: $67,000.00/$94,329.57 (Last Salary as an Independent)

February 2001: $72,000.00/$1,009,654.61 (First Salary with National Chain)

Present: $170,000+ present salary = $67,000.00 in 1982 dollars

Haha, don't think you joined for the money.

Higher. Nobody does this job except to get paid. If you claim otherwise, you are lying. If pin jockey at the bowling alley paid the same, I'd have done that. There isn't a pharmacist in the United States that would be a pharmacist if it only paid $30,000 a year. That doesn't mean you don't take your job seriously or aren't interested in it in general. It's just that you wouldn't be doing it and you know it.

My first job was in the low 30's. It sure paid better than all my non-pharmacist friends jobs, but it was no where near the equivalent of today's $120,000 jobs.

My monthly income went up ~$500. Thanks Trump!

Sure we can, if we are short sited. These tax cuts need to stay for me to be happy at least. If in 10 years I am paying more in taxes than I am now... I won't be happy.

So if I offered to give you 1000 dollars a month for free for the next 10 years, instead of gratitude, you would complain because i didn't offer to give it to you for the rest of your life.

And that is why it's so difficult to keep entitlement programs in check.

So if I offered to give you 1000 dollars a month for free for the next 10 years, instead of gratitude, you would complain because i didn't offer to give it to you for the rest of your life.

They are probably upset that corporate taxes are indefinite while personal taxes have an expiration date.

I literally just finished explaining to you why those numbers are flawed. Knight on horse explains it as well

As for the manufacturing numbers

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Where are you getting 10%? Even if that's true, it is higher than the 0% that the dems swore to us the evil 1%'ers would hand out
latest_numbers_CES3000000001_2008_2018_all_period_M01_data.gif

Looking at this graph it seems to be almost straight line except for 15-17 and the steepest climb is during obama years 11-12 and 14-15. The numbers dont show much a difference.

You are so silly. I assume you are a pharmacist so you're not stupid. But you only see one side of the story. When you give giant corporations that are already flush with cash huge tax breaks forever and you give me a pittance for 10 years, then the perspective might be different. If they eliminated the carried interest deduction ( a broken campaign promise), maybe. But this is so tilted to the uber rich it's just silly. I don't know for sure, but it appears I am going to get hosed. They only did the 10 year thing to make it work with reconciliation so they could ram it through on a straight party line vote. They expect this to be renewed forever, they just don't want to count the loss of income.

That also does not take into account the fact this is the wrong time in the business cycle to stimulate the economy. Presidents get too much blame when things go wrong and take too much credit when things go well. In an economy of this size, there are so many factors to take into consideration, it's hard to isolate any single event and say this did X.

The rate of economic growth if you look at a graph from 2008 until now is basically the same. Correspondingly, the fall in unemployment is on a constant downward spiral. Neither accelerated under Trump. O think Obama did a pretty amazing job with what he had to work with. As pointed out, the Fed's effect on the recovery cannot be understated. Just like Paul Volker deserves more of the credit for taming inflation in the 1980's then Reagan does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, don't think you joined for the money.

Nope, I truly like to help people. I would have a hard time being a cubical jockey. But there are times I could scream. Just Wednesday night:

Customer: I need to renew my Novolog
Me: You don't have Novolog on file.

Customer: Yes I do . I get it all the time and I only get it from you.
Me: You haven't filled Novolog since June 2016

Me: Do you have a box of Novolog
Customer: Yes

Me: What is the prescription number
Customer: There is no label on the box

This goes on for a while before....

Customer: I am going to report you. I don't know to who, but I am going to report you.......
Me: Do what you have to do...

You are so silly. I assume you are a pharmacist so you're not stupid. But you only see one side of the story. When you give giant corporations that are already flush with cash huge tax breaks forever and you give me a pittance for 10 years, then the perspective might be different. If they eliminated the carried interest deduction ( a broken campaign promise), maybe. But this is so tilted to the uber rich it's just silly. I don't know for sure, but it appears I am going to get hosed. They only did the 10 year thing to make it work with reconciliation so they could ram it through on a straight party line vote. They expect this to be renewed forever, they just don't want to count the loss of income.

That also does not take into account the fact this is the wrong time in the business cycle to stimulate the economy. Presidents get too much blame when things go wrong and take too much credit when things go well. In an economy of this size, there are so many factors to take into consideration, it's hard to isolate any single event and say this did X.

The rate of economic growth if you look at a graph from 2008 until now is basically the same. Correspondingly, the fall in unemployment is on a constant downward spiral. Neither accelerated under Trump. O think Obama did a pretty amazing job with what he had to work with. As pointed out, the Fed's effect on the recovery cannot be understated. Just like Paul Volker deserves more of the credit for taming inflation in the 1980's then Reagan does.

How many things have gone through our legislature that isn't tilted to the uber rich? Also tell me why if something benefits them, you have to be unhappy even though you are benefiting as well. If I offer you the same 1000 per month for 10 years but comes with a stipulation that I also have to give bill gates 100,000 per month, would you reject my offer? I would love it if I got all the benefits of the tax cuts and the uber rich got nothing. I would also love to win the lottery. Oh and bang Kate Upton. Maybe one day! But in the mean time, I will be happy with the extra dollars in my paycheck.

How many things have gone through our legislature that isn't tilted to the uber rich? Also tell me why if something benefits them, you have to be unhappy even though you are benefiting as well. If I offer you the same 1000 per month for 10 years but comes with a stipulation that I also have to give bill gates 100,000 per month, would you reject my offer? I would love it if I got all the benefits of the tax cuts and the uber rich got nothing. I would also love to win the lottery. Oh and bang Kate Upton. Maybe one day! But in the mean time, I will be happy with the extra dollars in my paycheck.

No there are finite resources. We are borrowing this money. Why do you give it to people who don't need it. It's not an unlimited supply. Your argument is weak

In 10 yrs, all the middle class will pay it back + interest LOL. Higher taxes for us is coming. But people are VERY short sighted. Woooho $100 extra to spend, I'll just pay 20k extra later. No wonder most Americans are broke.

Reactions: 1 users
No there are finite resources. We are borrowing this money. Why do you give it to people who don't need it. It's not an unlimited supply. Your argument is weak
I'm not hearing your solution on how to get 100% of the benefits all for yourself or your response to when has our legislature ever passed something that does not benefit the uber rich. Sounds like you want to complain just to complain. Why are you so mad at the 1%'ers? You said your salary is about 170,000 per year. Same here. That's enough to build a good life and amass some good wealth. The fact that the walton family makes millions shouldn't bother you so much. What would your Ideal tax cut plan look like and how would you have gotten it through with the dems who want to raise your taxes standing in your way

I'm not hearing your solution on how to get 100% of the benefits all for yourself or your response to when has our legislature ever passed something that does not benefit the uber rich. Sounds like you want to complain just to complain. Why are you so mad at the 1%'ers? You said your salary is about 170,000 per year. Same here. That's enough to build a good life and amass some good wealth. The fact that the walton family makes millions shouldn't bother you so much. What would your Ideal tax cut plan look like and how would you have gotten it through with the dems who want to raise your taxes standing in your way

I'm not against anyone. Your arguments are straw man arguments. Tax increases and decreases are neutral. They are dependent on the situation at the time. When Clinton raised taxes in 1993, the world did not come to an end and in fact, by attacking the deficit, the market reacted to that by lowering long term rates and that in combination with the productivity boom of the 90's is what allowed the economy to flourish when Clinton was president and the annual budget to be in surplus when he left. All tax cuts are not good and all tax increases aren't bad. It's just not that simple and to assume it's so is silly and wrong. I don't want 100% for myself. I would prefer that more of the benefits would go those who would spend it and stimulate the economy. As WVU2007 pointed out and I agree, this is the wrong time to cut taxes. Now is the time to sock it away for the next down turn. Additionally, American corporations are flush with cash and not doing much with it investment wise. Giving them more will not chnage that.

You just appear to be dogmatically in favor of any and all tax cuts and dogmatically opposed to any and all tax increases and this is not only silly but economically unsound.

Puttin
Better plan would be to have kept rates the same, eliminate the cap on social security tax to extend ss lifespan, eliminate carried interest deduction, put a value added tax on items sold in usa but not made here, expand medicare to allow anyone to join at actual cost, and do an infrastructure package to fix the bridges and roads.

I'm not against anyone. Your arguments are straw man arguments. Tax increases and decreases are neutral. They are dependent on the situation at the time. When Clinton raised taxes in 1993, the world did not come to an end and in fact, by attacking the deficit, the market reacted to that by lowering long term rates and that in combination with the productivity boom of the 90's is what allowed the economy to flourish when Clinton was president and the annual budget to be in surplus when he left. All tax cuts are not good and all tax increases aren't bad. It's just not that simple and to assume it's so is silly and wrong. I don't want 100% for myself. I would prefer that more of the benefits would go those who would spend it and stimulate the economy. As WVU2007 pointed out and I agree, this is the wrong time to cut taxes. Now is the time to sock it away for the next down turn. Additionally, American corporations are flush with cash and not doing much with it investment wise. Giving them more will not chnage that.

You just appear to be dogmatically in favor of any and all tax cuts and dogmatically opposed to any and all tax increases and this is not only silly but economically unsound.

Well you started off your first post by complaining that the uber rich are benefiting from the plan so that led me to my straw man argument i guess.
So your beef is with the timing of the tax cuts. We will see how well it all goes.

It’s important to not a tax cut isn’t a gift. It’s seizing less

In 10 yrs, all the middle class will pay it back + interest LOL. Higher taxes for us is coming. But people are VERY short sighted. Woooho $100 extra to spend, I'll just pay 20k extra later. No wonder most Americans are broke.

The reason they will "increase" is that the tax cut benefits will expire and go back to what it was before tax cuts. The question should be why arent the Democrats trying to keep them on forever and why are they against tax cuts?

Is Kate Upton still a thing?

Cuban is all over the place about trump and changes his mind like a female changes clothes.

Mavs are last place too. The guy can't even get basketball right.

Curious, did you sell off all your stocks when Cuban the great told us that there's 100% chance the markets would completely crash after a trump win?
People don't like trump because he acts as an idiot... not a leader. That is a fact. You should create a trump cult. Oh wait, half of the forum already worship this idiotic leader. From his supporters view, he could not do no wrong.

Cuban is pretty unbiased on how he viewed Trump leadership (or the lack thereof). Many people think the same.

The reason they will "increase" is that the tax cut benefits will expire and go back to what it was before tax cuts. The question should be why arent the Democrats trying to keep them on forever and why are they against tax cuts?
The repubs made the tax cuts temporary on purpose. They know that the dems will be against them when it comes to renew them and the want something that is popular with the American people so they have something to run on down the road

People don't like trump because he acts as an idiot... not a leader. That is a fact. You should create a trump cult. Oh wait, half of the forum already worship this idiotic leader. From his supporters view, he could not do no wrong.

Cuban is pretty unbiased on how he viewed Trump leadership (or the lack thereof). Many people think the same.
lol yeah he says a lot of stupid things, but in my opinion actions speak louder than words. If I had thought the opposite, I would have voted for Clinton too

The repubs made the tax cuts temporary on purpose. They know that the dems will be against them when it comes to renew them and the want something that is popular with the American people so they have something to run on down the road

Shows total and complete lack of understanding of what went on.

Shows total and complete lack of understanding of what went on.
really, if they wanted them permanent so bad all they had to do was involve democrats on the bill and pick up 9 democratic votes. they knew they had the votes to make the cuts at least temporary and figured it would help them down the line so they completely blocked den input.

Not true. There is certainly a couple of things he has done that I don't like(Although there's much more that I do like). The people who don't like Trump cite the same social justice crap they hear on the mainstream media. "durrr he's racist, he's an idiot, he tweets, he plays too much golf" blah blah blah. Get bored just hearing it

Why are corporations more important than people, which have permanent tax cuts?

Many pharmacists did not even get a raise last year despite companies saving billions of dollars from these tax cuts.

If you were running for president and told me I would save $1000 in taxes every month, but instead once elected you cut my taxes by $1000 each month, but gradually reduced that amount to an amount where I actually might be paying more taxes... you better bet I would complain.

Why are corporations more important than people, which have permanent tax cuts?

Many pharmacists did not even get a raise last year despite companies saving billions of dollars from these tax cuts.

If you were running for president and told me I would save $1000 in taxes every month, but instead once elected you cut my taxes by $1000 each month, but gradually reduced that amount to an amount where I actually might be paying more taxes... you better bet I would complain.
You only have to worry about them going up if you vote Democrat in 10 years haha

Your taxes will definitely increase lol

That's the point though, people want to give away half their salary so complete strangers can continue being lazy and get everything for free.

Not true. There is certainly a couple of things he has done that I don't like(Although there's much more that I do like). The people who don't like Trump cite the same social justice crap they hear on the mainstream media. "durrr he's racist, he's an idiot, he tweets, he plays too much golf" blah blah blah. Get bored just hearing it
Yes, I am sure you don't think he is an idiot. The fact up to this point that you haven't given any specifics on what you "don't like" tell me how much you love this dummy. I am sure you are 100% think he is none of what you wrote above, right? There is no sliver of doubt from what he said, how he acted, how he carried himself that he could be one of those. It's just the media! It's FAKE NEWS!!! ("I just get bored hearing it" quoting you). He could as well be murdering/raping someone in front of live television and you and his supporters will think it's a CGI.

He is the great leader! The epitome of US presidency.

That's the point though, people want to give away half their salary so complete strangers can continue being lazy and get everything for free.

It is their platform for a reason...so they can win all the votes of the dems, free stuff here... brb all dems sprint towards it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dirty money in Netflix is a must watch. All of the episodes are great. Loving ep. 6 about Trump, the greatest con man alive, props to him.

Maybe his ex-wives?

I assume they got something out of the divorce then again Trump knows the art of the deal so they probably got nothing.

Anyone gotten paychecks in February yet? Looks like I'm set to save ~$400 a month on federal taxes. Can't complain.

Anyone gotten paychecks in February yet? Looks like I'm set to save ~$400 a month on federal taxes. Can't complain.

I’m looking at 230 myself and similar for the wife