ready to quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swore when I didn't get in for 2002, I would finally give up on med school and basically move on with my life. I applied twice and was waitlisted both times without an offer in the end. I've been trying to make alternate plans but now my thoughts are about applying again for 2004. Logically it makes no sense to me. I've tried, I'm tired, spent much money, years (literally) waiting. When is it time to let go of what you wanted and worked for a decade?

Members don't see this ad.

Faith in what? Randomness?

Members don't see this ad :)
Faith in God. Leave it on to HIM. He knows what is good for u. You or many other people will not agree to this, but that just my opinion.

I say take a hard look at yourself and your application. What can you do to make yourself a better applicant? Answer that question, and spend the next year making those improvements. If this is what you really want to do, then perseverance will pay off in the long run. Life is crazy sometimes. I try to take things as they come. I know applying isnt something to just take lightly, but try to make the most out of the situation. Take control my friend. My quote is "Go big" as you can see at the bottom of the reply. I know its only two simple words, but thats how i look at life. get yourself together and do all you possibly can to make this dream a reality. F THE PAST. Do whatever it takes. Do everything you possibly can to achieve this dream. Trust me when I say that the pain of suffering through this process will be nothing compared to the pain of regret later if you give up on it. GOOD LUCK! I wish you the best.

I completely agree with Jiten. I too have endured the possibility of not realizing my dream. I perservered and have been accepted to med school. For me medicine is not only a career, I feel it is what I am meant to do. I put my faith in Jesus Christ and he has blessed me. However I think there is a time in one's life where she/he needs to move on and concentrate on other things. Maybe med school will come later. The point is if you want to be a doc don't give up you'll make it. I guarantee it!

"nothing is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"
Churchill

Thanks...
I guess I tired of jumping through hoops and getting nowhere. I strengthened my application much as I could and admissions officers think I'm a great cancdidate just not for that particular year.
Most of my friends are finishing grad schoool, residencies, getting married, having kids...and I'm in the same place as I was when I graduated. You know, there is truth to the "quarter life crisis."

How about faith in yourself and your abilities?

I think the hardest thing to accept in this whole process is how random and how haard you can work and not get any reward or kickback from it.

I think you should reevaluate your application like others said... try EMT or something more clinical and work. Work really hard and reapply. Perhaps you can try a masters program?

ssh - how many schools did you apply to?
did you apply across the board? top tier, DO schools etc?
did you apply early?

If it doesn't work this time around, definitely try again! I know more than one person who got into medical school on their third try. It sucks to get the runaround and shell out the cash for naught, but in the long run you owe it to yourself to try again...this process is a real bear, but you'll be all the more happy that you gave it your all once you do get accepted.

hmm.... my vote is putting faith in *yourself* ... strengthen your application in any way you can. LORs sketchy? do some new activities, get new LORs. ECs on the sparse side? join some stuff you think is fun just because you enjoy it. take a leadership position. and so on and so forth. use your time off as just that, time off, rather than focusing on how long you've been in this process. travel a bit. work an unusual job. and then reapply. i think that is the best way to gain a little perspective on the situation and help your overall prospects as well.

i am not ever going to think someone is crazy for reapplying twice if they feel that being a physician is something they really dream of doing with their life.

:) best of luck.

you keep getting waitlisted, you are soooo close! some people don't get an interview after two years! i say keep going if you still have the heart to keep trying.

I've been rejected 45 different times over a two year period by about 30 different schools. That number will probably go up in a few weeks. Yet I'm not giving up, I'm considering SGU or Ireland at the moment. The bottom line is that I'm going to be a doctor someday. When I'm 64 I won't be saying "MAN, if I had only gotten into med school when I was 25 rather than 27." Its not going to matter. Everything works out ok in the end; if everything isn't ok, then it isn't the end. Keep your head up, Dave.

So what so I've got a smile on

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mison
I completely agree with Jiten. I too have endured the possibility of not realizing my dream. I perservered and have been accepted to med school. For me medicine is not only a career, I feel it is what I am meant to do. I put my faith in Jesus Christ and he has blessed me. However I think there is a time in one's life where she/he needs to move on and concentrate on other things. Maybe med school will come later. The point is if you want to be a doc don't give up you'll make it. I guarantee it!

I need to believe this as well.

I know it's basically regurgitating what everyone else has said, but NEVER, EVER give up on a dream. How would you council someone else on SDN who was in your position and wanted to give up? Would you tell them to just throw it out the window, or to keep on until they perservere? I'd like to think you would choose the latter. The path you choose, the time it takes, the money it costs...that all wont matter once you have your MD. Do whatever you have to, but dont ever give up. The only regrets are the risks you DONT take.

Originally posted by Jiten
Faith in God. Leave it on to HIM. He knows what is good for u. You or many other people will not agree to this, but that just my opinion.

ssh, Don't listen to this BS... it will get you no where. Also don't listen to the "never give up" BS. There is a time when persistance turns into mad irrational obsession.

This is what you do. Ask yourself if your application has significantly improved since the last time you applied. Look at how you applied the last 2 times. Did you apply to a wide range of schools? even DO schools? Did you send in your aps early? Did you apply to at least 10 schools? How are your stats? Can you retake the MCAT?

Reapply if...

1) your application is significantly improved
2) you didn't apply wisely the last two times
or
3) your stats are notably better

If you applied wisely the last two times and you application really hasn't changed, I'd suggest you move on.

Good luck in whatever you do! :)

Originally posted by Sarah Kerr

Do whatever you have to, but dont ever give up. The only regrets are the risks you DONT take.

:) Totally agreed. I think you should live life agressively.

I think taoist belief, "inaction is much worse than improper action."

I have to agree with the OP's pessimism. Having applied 1.5 times myself (I applied during my 2nd year to some intls and this year to about 15 AMCAS+4 TX) its frustrating and financially taxing, not mention emotionally taxing, especially if you are trying to line up a full time job not knowing where you'll be in a year. Having paid for a lot of my app fees and secondaries out of my own pocket, I would not apply again after this year (maybe only to a handful).

The "have faith in Christ" advice is total BS. If you live in the real world, its not that easy.

I'd seriously consider Caribbean if I'm not in anywhere by June. At least they give you a chance, and its all about what you put in into it.

I feel for ya, ssh and know where you are coming from- good luck to you, and go with your gut about whether to apply again or not.

it's easy for us to say "go for it again". i think if you really want to be a doctor and can handle the possibility of rejection again, you should go ahead and apply. since you were so close last time, i'd think that if you chose your schools wisely you would be accepted since you now have more experience. (of course, it's such a crapshoot you never know what is going to happen!) i personally am not sure i could go through this process again. perhaps. i think if you don't get in the third time, you should either go DO, foreign, or pursue a different career. there comes a time when you can't put off your life for some dream that may be just that. i'm willing to spend 2 years. others might be willing to spend more time. as i get older i realize that there are many things that could make me happy in life. careerwise, being a doctor is ideal for me. but familywise, it is probably not the best option. there are other careers you can choose if the md thing doesn't work out and probably have more time to spend with your friends and family. GOOD LUCK :)

It's one thing to pursue a dream... its other thing to go bankrupt and mentally insane chasing after something there's a good chance you'll never get.

There are a lot of great careers out there besides being a physician. I have a laundry list of things I'd like to do if for some reason I couldn't be a doctor. The world is an exciting place and there are lots of interesting and rewarding career fields out there... especially for people as hard working as the OP. ;)

I guess my sentiments most closely follow rel. prime's - contact the different schools and see if any will give you either a verbal or written assessment of why you were not selected for this years class. Some schools simply won't do this but there are many that will, especially on an informal, verbal basis. Ask what specifically they would need to see in a re-application to make them really sit up and take notice. See if you can get feedback from several schools and see if there is a common theme. If there is then you have something to work with. If every school points to something different then you probably have much more of a problem.

Either way, if you are really tired out by this process (and I can understand why you would be) then I would seriously suggest *not* re-applying in the next cycle, but taking a year "off" from med apps and doing something else you really want to do. This will also give you more time to work on whatever weakness the med schools come up with.

At the end of the day all dreams have value, but also costs, and it is up to you to balance where this one falls for you. Even if you decide that med school applications are not what you want to do now, does not mean you will never go. I took a few years out and for myself, I am very grateful for the breathing space to live life the intervening years have given me. good luck, whatever you decide :)

I see Prime's point, although I was just trying to be positive.

I would be frustrated and ask an adcom specifically what they see a problem is with your app.

I agree that you should try to contact the schools to find out what you specifically could do to improve your c hances. It also does seem like a good idea to take a year off from med school applications to do something fun. Not only will it save you money, but it will give you some "life experience" and perspective, which is helpful.

Also, this may seem really obvious, but as someone else already said, you ARE really close if you're getting waitlisted. It seems like t his is getting to be less and less of a passive process after the interview is over. From sending thank you notes to letters of interest and intent to calling and whatever else people do, many people are taking a more active role. If you get waitlisted again, I would definitely show a ton of interest in teh school in whatever way you feel is most appropriate. When they look to the waitlist to choose people, many schools flat-out say that they will take the people who most want to go there, and they determine that by who has shown interest. So if you haven't already tried that, it may help.

Originally posted by ssh
Thanks...
I strengthened my application much as I could and admissions officers think I'm a great candidate just not for that particular year.

There is a paradox here. If you say that you have strengthened your application as much as you could then med schools should be accepting you, especially if admissions officers say your a great candidate. Many admissions officers are not candid with applicants and lull them into a false sense of hope by telling them they're great candidates. The truth is that most med school applicants are great candidates. Since so many people apply then they have to pick the "excellent" candidates. Do like many have done and make sure you are better than average on all sides (MCAT, GPA, EC's, research, volunteer) because there are a ton of average or "great" candidates applying every year. Also, I'm sure there is probably more that you can do to strengthen your application whether it be improved scores, grades, getting a masters, etc. If you are really dedicated to being a doctor then you will do whatever it takes. Don't give up and do whatever it takes to get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

ssh-

i gave up on my dream in 1996. applied to professional school, got rejected, and never looked back.

i went on with my life, started a successful career, achieved several accomplishments and in 2001.....

it hit me. (and yes I believe it was God) said what are you doing? There are millions of people that need your help. you have an impact to make on your family, community and the world.

Gosh, I felt so stupid. So many years of suppressing what was inevitable and not believing in myself.

One thing I had had gained over the years was the utmost confidence in myself and my abilities: time management, organizational skills, analytical skills, etc.

I researched ways to get myself into medical school. I called offices, wrote 19 letters, took TPR, talked to EVERYONE who I thought would be supportive...and now a year later I am closer to my dream.

I know that it's going to take me longer. I have to do a post-bacc program and SHOW others that I am for real and can really do the work.

Well here's my advice. Do not put your life on hold a second later. You can strengthen your credentials and go on with your life. If you love science earn a Master's in a science related field not necessarily Medical Sciences. Go to company websites, say Abbott, Lilly's, NASA and find jobs that interest you. Target your degree after positions at those companies and go for it. Meanwhile, keep your dream fresh and keep working toward it at the same time. I got a job in the most unlikely field in the world but it afforded me a great lifestyle.

I hope you believe in a higher power and don't ignore the messages you receive either. Mine came while looking in the mirror....so keep an open-mind.

Thanks!!!!

Originally posted by ssh
I swore when I didn't get in for 2002, I would finally give up on med school and basically move on with my life. I applied twice and was waitlisted both times without an offer in the end. I've been trying to make alternate plans but now my thoughts are about applying again for 2004. Logically it makes no sense to me. I've tried, I'm tired, spent much money, years (literally) waiting. When is it time to let go of what you wanted and worked for a decade?

You have to realize that applications are at a big low this year compared to past years. Therefore, you are applying to med school when it is relatively "easy" to get in. You should evaluate your situation carefully. Regardless of whether you choose to give up or not, I would not just re-apply next year. At least call offices and try to learn from your mistakes.

You'll hear from a lot of people that will tell you "I applied 18 times and I finally got in," or "I was rejected for years and I ended up graduating at the top of my class." These people are outliers and while inspiring, I would not base thousands of dollars and years of my life on them. The truth is that when you get rejected, your chances of getting accepted drop down each year you apply. And med schools usually reject for a reason, the main thing being fear that you will not be able to complete the course of study. Getting into med school does not equal getting the MD. It's a lot of work and people do fail out.... ROUTINELY, more than the quoted 1-2%.

mike

How about having a professional person review your application?

What I am planning on doing is having Judy Colwell, formerly an Admissions person at Stanford Med School, review my personal statement and maybe my online application. She's expensive but I wanted to have someone with alot of professional expereince look over my PS. She's at JudyColwell.com or something like that and she seems like a good bet for me.

Just reading these posts I am so petrified to even apply this year. I have been job searching and that really knocks you around and studying for the MCAT which is no fun, and struggling to get my last LOR's into my Committee (why do people say I'll do it and then they don't?!) and my heart is sinking fast. Heck, what if this is all for nothing and I get NO interviews or ANYTHING?!

To come this far and love it so much, well I have to have some faith too and trust that there is a Higher Sentient Being or something because I feel like a little chicken ... :p

Originally posted by woolie

Just reading these posts I am so petrified to even apply this year. I have been job searching and that really knocks you around and studying for the MCAT which is no fun, and struggling to get my last LOR's into my Committee (why do people say I'll do it and then they don't?!) and my heart is sinking fast. Heck, what if this is all for nothing and I get NO interviews or ANYTHING?!

To come this far and love it so much, well I have to have some faith too and trust that there is a Higher Sentient Being or something because I feel like a little chicken ... :p

i felt exactly the same way you did before starting my application process this past june, and i'm sure a lot of people here felt that way as well. don't worry, it's natural to feel that way, and i'm sure everything will work out at the end for you. good luck.

Originally posted by mikecwru
The truth is that when you get rejected, your chances of getting accepted drop down each year you apply.

I don't know if this is true (definitely not in my case). I think it depends on what you do to in between the rejection and the next application. I hear many adcoms say that reapplicants tend to do very little if anything at all to change their application. For example, if a low MCAT is the "reason" you didn't get in, then just reatking the MCAT and getting a better score isn't enough. Maybe getting a better score AND volunteering for the peace core for a year, working in a lab, ect. will get you that acceptance.

Good luck!

The dean at our state school was giving a speech about admissions and he said that every year they have a good number of people that are reapplicants. They also have a few that have applied for the 3rd or 4th time. Every once in a while they even get people that apply for the 5th time. Eventually, he said, we're forced to start accepting a few these applicants because our cabinets don't have enough room to hold their accumulated files.
Moral of the story: persistence pays off.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I'm really at a loss of what to do next IF I reapply. It is true you cant improve one part of your application. It has to be a substantial imporvement overall. I havent been sitting on my hands for the past six years. I usually work more than 40 hrs a week, been published 3times plus numerous abstracts with another article going out next week. Even superivise junior members of the lab. I volunteer 3 hrs a week at a literacy program teaching an adult math class. Volunteered in an ER, though it was a while ago. As far I can tell good LORs and not spetacular, but good gpa and mcat. I really dont think that adcoms really care about graduate gpa if you were a science major, though I've taken some graduate classes. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by woolie
How about having a professional person review your application?

What I am planning on doing is having Judy Colwell, formerly an Admissions person at Stanford Med School, review my personal statement and maybe my online application. She's expensive but I wanted to have someone with alot of professional expereince look over my PS. She's at JudyColwell.com or something like that and she seems like a good bet for me.

no offense, but why pay her to do it, the dean of med schl at my scl looked at mine for free :p

I respect the monkey.

I respect the Wang. To each their own.

ssh,
Usually I would tend toward the realism that RP suggested (she makes excellent points) but as you describe it, there is no reason you shouldn't get in. Either this means you are an unlucky wanker, or there is something more fundamental that you aren't telling us, or you aren't admitting to yourself. If its the former, try again, and give DO schools a shot as well if you can identify with their methadologies.

Hope that Helps.

P 'Yes, that Wang' ShankOut

Originally posted by ssh
I really dont think that adcoms really care about graduate gpa if you were a science major, though I've taken some graduate classes. Any suggestions?

I think adcoms DO care about grad GPA even if you're a science major (al least this has been my experience). BUT, if you take grad courses you MUST make primarily A's with VERY FEW B's. Good luck!

Originally posted by mikecwru
You have to realize that applications are at a big low this year compared to past years. Therefore, you are applying to med school when it is relatively "easy" to get in. You should evaluate your situation carefully. Regardless of whether you choose to give up or not, I would not just re-apply next year. At least call offices and try to learn from your mistakes.

mike

I would have to disagree with this comment. Applications are way up this year. In fact, I was just in my state schools admissions office the other day and they told me the same thing. Probably due to the terrible job market, etc. I also don't believe applying to medical school has ever been easy to get in. Think before you speak

Forget this time wasting. You tried your best. It's time to move to St. Georges in Grenada or Ross in Dominica. They will give you your chance and it will depend on what you put into it. Work hard and prepare well for Step 1.

Originally posted by bridgie
you keep getting waitlisted, you are soooo close! some people don't get an interview after two years! i say keep going if you still have the heart to keep trying.
I would agree with this. Lots of people don't even get an interview. Don't give up, but apply to more schools and lower tiered ones.

I would have to say that re-applying a second year in a row is the best way to go because there is plenty of time for an applicant to improve upon an application. But it depends on the case though...it might be a good idea to skip a year between cycles if your an applicant that really has no shot (2.5 GPA, 20 MCAT). But if an applicant is a good candidate with a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT but did not get in for some reason, re-applying the next year is the best way to go IMO.

I would not go to a foriegn school unless I tried here in the States at least 2 times. Going to a school like Ross or St. Georges has too many disadvantages to just jump ship to one of those schools. Of course, if an applicant has a 2.5 and a 20, it might be a good idea to go for it because it could take a lot to improve upon those stats before becoming competitive here in the States.