Real life Forensic pathologist vs. TELEVISION CSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloha Kid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was recently watching CSI. Those Forensic pathologist look like they are having the time of their lives. Interesting murder cases, suspense, mystery, thrilling endings.

Is life really that fun and exciting for a forensic pathologist?

For anyone who has had experience with forensic pathology and autopsy what exactly is a typical day in the life of a forensic pathologist like? What are the hours? What do they do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Forensic pathologists, I think, are more like Carter Pike on Picket Fences (I think that was his name). If you remember, he spent most of his time begging the police to let him go to crime scenes, collect evidence, etc, and they just wanted him to do the autopsy and tell them why the person died. That was a great show.

I don't watch CSI, crossing jordan, all the other innumerable crime shows, but from the previews I gather that these pathologists often go to crime scenes and do most of the work that normally detectives and police would do. Many FPs do go to crime scenes though. Of course you do see interesting cases, but in general I don't believe you are the one who identifies the killer by scraping under the fingernails of the dead body or recognizing that the killer had a shortened left leg by the way the blood drops are spattered at the crime scene.

In general, FP is responsible for the forensic autopsies with the help of a couple assistants. They do a few every day. Hours are pretty good, although they are on call a lot and have to testify a lot. Pay is poor. Someone who has closer contact with FP can let us know what a day is really like and what the total responsiblities are. I'll let you know in a few months when I do my rotation. I don't think I'll be dodging bullets or getting to go on high speed car chases.

Wow - posting at the exact same time. Jinx!

If you want to be a forensic pathologist, currently at least, you have to complete a pathology residency then a forensic path fellowship.

And I would agree that most forensic pathologists may not be all that hunky, but I saw a stunning technician once. Seeing her take that dead body out of the cooler, flip it over, and get to work was surprisingly hot.