Real Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once everyone matches, its important to remember one thing: By large where you train will likely have no relation to your career path after a mere years out of fellowship/residency. Meaning, just because you trained at BWH doesnt mean private practice path will welcome you with open arms. Im getting hate PMs froms from people who think everyone should acknowledge their program as "leet". You cant send me a PM through this site with a laundry list of the uberness of your program expecting me to change my mind.

Residency prestige might get an extra interview that first year, or if you end up at a lesser known program maybe youll have to hustle for the interview, but in the end it will make little difference.

So the moral of this story is to play World of Warcraft, date hot chicks who think being a doctor somehow grants you magical powers and always be looking for that perfect job at the perfect time.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you said before that going to an elite residency ensured you the big bucks? I'm not too concerned about going to a non-elite program and having trouble getting a job. My sheer talent will speak for itself! :laugh:

jeff2005 said:
I thought you said before that going to an elite residency ensured you the big bucks? I'm not too concerned about going to a non-elite program and having trouble getting a job. My sheer talent will speak for itself! :laugh:

I still think people should go to the best residency possible but nothing ensures the big bucks other than your own ability to B.S. people into believing you are 1337 with your mad skillz.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
So the moral of this story is to play World of Warcraft, date hot chicks who think being a doctor somehow grants you magical powers and always be looking for that perfect job at the perfect time.

Is this advice for the ladies too? If we all go for the hot chicks, the plan leads to a hypercompetitive scenario. :p

bananaface said:
Is this advice for the ladies too? If we all go for the hot chicks, the plan leads to a hypercompetitive scenario. :p
Nice point!
I take that part back, only I'll go for the hot chicks, everyone wingman on her friends. Wasnt that the main point of "A Beautiful Mind?"

LADoc00 said:
Once everyone matches, its important to remember one thing: By large where you train will likely have no relation to your career path after a mere years out of fellowship/residency. Meaning, just because you trained at BWH doesnt mean private practice path will welcome you with open arms. Im getting hate PMs froms from people who think everyone should acknowledge their program as "leet". You cant send me a PM through this site with a laundry list of the uberness of your program expecting me to change my mind.

Residency prestige might get an extra interview that first year, or if you end up at a lesser known program maybe youll have to hustle for the interview, but in the end it will make little difference.

You are 100% correct. Its easy to obsess over choosing a residency, but in the end, it really doesn't make a huge difference in your overall career arc. That is the reality.

LADoc00 said:

This is essentially the advice I got from the peeps in my dept when I went to them whining about ROL woes. They said it's frankly not that big of a deal and I should just go where I'll enjoy living and training for 4 years.

cytoborg said:
This is essentially the advice I got from the peeps in my dept when I went to them whining about ROL woes. They said it's frankly not that big of a deal and I should just go where I'll enjoy living and training for 4 years.
Absolutely! The Match only represents a beginning. When residency starts, the priority shifts to being the most badass you can be.

Prestige is not created for you.

You create your own prestige.

Make the most of your opportunities.

yaah said:

looks like you had chinese food for dinner tonight.

and you probably got 3 entrees...to get that many fortune cookies.

yaah said:

...you see, THIS is why Yaah is our Moderator! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
South Park. Season 2. Cartman sings:

You guys are my best friends
Through thick and thin, we've always been together
We're four of a kind, havin' fun all day
Pallin' around and laughin' away
Just best friends, best friends are we.

AndyMilonakis said:
South Park. Season 2. Cartman sings:

You guys are my best friends
Through thick and thin, we've always been together
We're four of a kind, havin' fun all day
Pallin' around and laughin' away
Just best friends, best friends are we.

Actually sung by "Evil Cartman". Great episode.

yaah said:

Unless you have a publicist. Do they have those in medicine? They should.

Yeah, I'm curious to see where this is heading. :)

I do agree that a publicist for our moderator would be beneficial in spreading his good name throughout the SDN community.

I agree to a degree about prestige. I went to a lesser known college, and a state medical school because I was concerned with cost. I DID want a name for residency, because in academic settings I think institution name does matter to a degree. This is NOT to say that a career is stopped due to heritage, but the number of MGH residents who have platform presentations at USCAP is pretty astonishing.

Mindy