"Real" private loans tax deductible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think private loans that everyone talks about is the loan from banks and private institutions. I wonder what if I can find some relatives to borrow money from (won't it be nice to give the high interest to your own people?), when I pay back these loans, can I get the same kind of tax deduction as the other formal loans?

Members don't see this ad.

I think private loans that everyone talks about is the loan from banks and private institutions. I wonder what if I can find some relatives to borrow money from (won't it be nice to give the high interest to your own people?), when I pay back these loans, can I get the same kind of tax deduction as the other formal loans?

IRS excludes loans from relatives. See IRS publication 970 for details

ed

The money is so easy to borrow and the interest usually isn't that high anyways. . . you don't really need to go to a relative.

I give people advice on this stuff all day long.

Also, the there's a difference between the interest on the FFELP loans (which are often from private lenders) and private loans or alternative loans (which are also from "private lenders"). . . When it comes to tax deductions, I always recommend my clients talk to a CPA who REALLY knows the law (maybe 5% of CPAs are helpful beyond simply filling out paperwork). . .