Real salary info...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any fairly reliable info on what one could expect to make as an neurointensivest starting after residency, in the northeast?

I am particularly interested in this area of neurology, Im just trying to see the bigger picture...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any fairly reliable info on what one could expect to make as an neurointensivest starting after residency, in the northeast?

I am particularly interested in this area of neurology, Im just trying to see the bigger picture...

Thanks

Get thee to your nearest med school library and pick up a copy of the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) "Physician salary and productivity survey." It is revised every year. It will NOT be as specific as "neurointensivist" but you can ballpark neurology and general medical intensivist salaries (by geography too, since you're interested in the NE).

Since I just went through all this myself, (for neuro, not "neurointensivist") I can tell you:
Northeast is the lowest paying region
There are many, many factors that influence compensation (practice location, practice size, hospital vs hmo vs hospital employee, academic vs nonacademic, methods of determining salary (straight salary vs base + productivity vs others) etc etc etc). That's why you need to look through the whole MGMA report.

Ballpark for neuro I'd say expect low-to-mid 200K range after a couple years experience.
Avg neuro salary was 253K
50th percentile was 216K;
90th percentile is 394K

And in case you are wondering, there is also an MGMA survey for academic jobs. I haven't looked at that yet, but I have seen the study by some other group (AMA? ACGME? I forget who did it now) on academic salaries. Academic neuro jobs for assistant and assoc profs range from 120K-160K. Again, the northeast is the lowest paying region.

I know a neuro-intensivist who had several years of work experience took a job in texas starting at about $350,000. Again, he's been in neuro critical care for a long time, so I'm not surprised he's getting paid big bucks. Also, call is not easy at all, but probably not as bad as cardiology.