Real Talk: What are my odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today more than ever, the truth about med school and my life truly kicked in. I've always been honest with myself about my future and I've always had backup plans but right now I feel very lost and need some advice on how to proceed.

I'm a junior Chemistry Pre-Med major and my current GPA is 3.30. I believe I can easily bring that up to 3.4 by the end of the semester and at least 3.45 by the end of the year but it is still rather low. This said, my grades have a very, very intense upward curve that continues to increase. In my first two years, I scraped by while working 20-25 hours a week in a management position, taking 18 credit hours a semester, and cramming in studying wherever I found time. Because of this, the only shadowing and volunteering I've done has been over the Summer and Winter breaks. Research is good as I've been doing a lot of that recently. My biggest fear are the Letters of Rec since I'm usually quiet and my schedule is so packed that I can never make it to office hours.

I really just kind of regret my college experience right now. I'm finally starting to date, do fun things, and I finally have a good core group of friends. I feel like I worked so hard my first two years just to scrape by and I had no life while also not preparing myself well for med school. Now that I finally have my life where I want it, it just bothers me that this may be too little too late. Does anyone have any pointers, pick-me-ups or does anyone feel similarly about themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

If you kill the MCAT you still got a chance. Just keep up with the good work

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Find time to shadow a doc? I didn't do this until I graduated. And I really regretted.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with above ^, if you manage to pull a decent MCAT score of 504+ and use your time wisely to get to build your rep with your teachers such as asking questions in/after class then you have a good chance for DO schools. If you have a very very good MCAT score such as 512+ then you might have a chance with some MD schools since you have an increasing trend in your grades.

You have a better GPA than I do. You can poke around in the underdogs thread for my stats and interviews this year if you want. Rock the MCAT and you'll be fine

No MCAT = No one can tell you.

Reactions: 1 user