real world vs. this board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velouria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering about people here expecting REALLY high scores (high to me, anyway!). I think someone earlier mentioned that a 35 was just "OK." I got a list off the Internet that showed average scores for most schools. Generally they were 9-10 per section, for an overall average of only 27-30. Are the people talking about higher scores aiming for top-tier schools? Or was my list mistaken?? In other words, is a 27-30 competitive for applying to allopathic schools in the US?

Thanks for any insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by velouria
Hi, I'm wondering about people here expecting REALLY high scores (high to me, anyway!). I think someone earlier mentioned that a 35 was just "OK." I got a list off the Internet that showed average scores for most schools. Generally they were 9-10 per section, for an overall average of only 27-30. Are the people talking about higher scores aiming for top-tier schools? Or was my list mistaken?? In other words, is a 27-30 competitive for applying to allopathic schools in the US?

Thanks for any insight!!

Truth is, the process is about a lot more than numbers.

For the top 10 schools, yes, you need mid-30's MCAT to stand a reasonable chance. But a low MCAT can be offset by outstanding EC's, a great essay and a high GPA. I have a 4.0 but only got a 27 MCAT (didn't take a course, studied minimally). I managed to interview at one top 10 with that MCAT and am waitlisted there. I've also gotten in at 2 other allo schools no problem and have 2 other waitlists.

It's all about how your application is balanced. I would say 27 with nothing lower than an 8 in any section is about as low as you can go without having some major problems getting interviews (although technically 25+ should yield SOME interviews) if the rest of the app is competitive.

Always remember that in the US, median MCAT scores for enrolled students is 29-30. Some will be higher, others lower- go figure.

In a nutshell, yes, people on this board are neurotic, if not insane they way they throw around high stats. Do your best, don't stress, and see what happens.