Realistic GI salary range-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow ninjas,

Can anyone give me a realistic sense of offers?

Private Practice: (Bumble vs Metropolitan)

Academic:

Thank you so very very much for your help.

Sincerely,
billybud

Members don't see this ad.

or just PM me if you are shy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be somewhere between $0 and $10,000,000 a year. Probably on the low side of that range most places.

Do you think I can make 10,000,000 if I do not want to take call?

oops, wrong forum, forgot that this was 'mummy and daddy payed so I don't have 250+ in loans forum.' Sorry, I am concerned, and would like a relevant estimate from fellows getting offers. Why is this too much to ask?

online surveys, etc, tend to be driven by recruiters and many times exaggerate income. just wanted to hear it from the horsie's mouth.

oops, wrong forum, forgot that this was 'mummy and daddy payed so I don't have 250+ in loans forum.' Sorry, I am concerned, and would like a relevant estimate from fellows getting offers. Why is this too much to ask?

online surveys, etc, tend to be driven by recruiters and many times exaggerate income. just wanted to hear it from the horsie's mouth.

If you don't believe in online surveys, why would you trust an anonymous "fellow"?

looking for someone to buck the recruiters' inflated numbers. fellows have no incentive to wow me. I don't think recruiters/headhunters are slick enough to pose as fellows on SDN.

billybud, please try to ignore the many jerkish replies. 4th years are all matched now and just sitting around waiting to graduate, and have nothing better to do than post ignorant message on anonymous message boards.

i'll give you my perception: of course it all depends what you do o n a day to day basis. If all you do is scope you will make way more. but on average....

academic - way less than private practice. avg university probably would be. Starting i'd guess $175-200K. Tenured/professors maybe up to like $250K

Private practice: There are rumors of private practice GI docs making up to $1million/year by scoping 4 days a week and having clinic 1 day a week. I'd say you can probably easily get $300K in private practice and more depending on how many hours you're willing to work

Definitely...part-time even.

hama0.jpg

It's kind of a ridiculous question. Salaries in the competitive medical specialties (cards, GI, onc) will range over a nearly 10-fold range. Starting academic salaries are probably in the mid $100s. If you want to scope/cath/chemo 16 hours a day in private practice you can fairly easily pull in >$500K after you make partner. Which is good, because you'll need it to pay the alimony and child support when your spouse leaves you because you're never home.

If money is all that matters, do derm, plastics or spine. Choosing a specialty based on reimbursement (which WILL change in the future) is complete folly.

4th years are all matched now and just sitting around waiting to graduate, and have nothing better to do than post ignorant message on anonymous message boards.

:smuggrin:

Too true

Thank you kindly. Sights are set on GI as I've already matched IM. I enjoy the material and wanted a snapshot of current reimbursement. I find it easier to broach the topic online rather than ask friends' fathers or current fellows at my institution. You have preserved my fragile dignity.

Choosing a specialty based on reimbursement (which WILL change in the future) is complete folly.

Word.

Compensation for physicians for the long term will still be good, however, the outliers with begin to approach the median as 1) compensation for procedures is cut back and 2) compensation for 1* care increases

Word.

Compensation for physicians for the long term will still be good, however, the outliers with begin to approach the median as 1) compensation for procedures is cut back and 2) compensation for 1* care increases

One could therefore argue that, theoretically, doing something like IM+GI is smart because it gives you 1* care skills and opportunities in something that at the moment is highly procedural and lucrative. Derm has no other recourse.

On the other hand, I had no idea there were GI's that made in the range of 1 million. That just sounds insane for what they do (it isn't neurosurgery) and like something that won't hold for long in this economy.

One could therefore argue that, theoretically, doing something like IM+GI is smart because it gives you 1* care skills and opportunities in something that at the moment is highly procedural and lucrative. Derm has no other recourse.

I suppose you could theoretically make that argument, but by the time you are done with specialty training you would be woefully out of practice handling 1* care types of issues. GI docs for the most part are technicians, and the medicine they do is limited in scope to the GI tract and liver, obviously.

On the other hand, I had no idea there were GI's that made in the range of 1 million. That just sounds insane for what they do (it isn't neurosurgery) and like something that won't hold for long in this economy.

I don't know . . . I think anyone that can find a way to legally make a ****-ton of money, is pretty awesome. It's not about what's hard, but about what is possible . . . the market can and will bear what it can. A tautology?