realistic projection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i took both the hartcourt practice test that they sell I got a composite range of 78-98 one first one and a 80-99 on the second one so would it be reasonable to assume I would be scoring about 85-90 on the real pcat? I know this is sort of ******ed post since nobody can realistic give me such a value but for people who took the hartcourt practice exam and the june's pcat do you think the scores are realistically alinged?

Members don't see this ad.

i would like to know too!

i took both hartcourt tests and i don't know what to think. Got a 68-88% on the second test (which i took last week) and a 80-99% on the first test (which i just took today). i did much better on the verbal and math of the first test. I don't know if I simply just improved or the first test is easier than the second test. i hope my actual test score will fall within the range of the first test :D

Those ranges are simply not reliable. Might as well say you will get between 20% and 99%.

You also need to factor in time, as in certain sections you will be very rushed. You need to factor in the "curve", which is based on how well everyone else does. For example, the January exam I received a very high QA score although I missed many questions.

Instead of relying on your estimated score, look at what questions were difficult and those you guessed on or got wrong.

Those ranges are simply not reliable. Might as well say you will get between 20% and 99%.

You also need to factor in time, as in certain sections you will be very rushed. You need to factor in the "curve", which is based on how well everyone else does. For example, the January exam I received a very high QA score although I missed many questions.

Instead of relying on your estimated score, look at what questions were difficult and those you guessed on or got wrong.

There is no curve factor, I asked them and it doesn't matter which time you take it at, your score is compared to everyone the past few year not during the time you took it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it'll be entirely accurate, but it's the best thing you can get to gauge your readiness.

For one, some sections (eg: Chemistry) had way too little focus on the organic stuff. Even if there were any questions on orgo, they were much too straightforward.

Another is doing it on the computer vs doing it on paper. There is a tremendous difference there, especially in the reading section where on the computer it drains you a lot of time if you feel like you need to go back to a previous question since you'll be constantly tapping away at that back button.

I just went back to look at my score report for my practice tests..

For PT#2, verbal was projected at 70-90%, bio at 75-90%, chem at 80-99, reading at 55-75, and quantitative at 80-99 (PT#1 I didn't really try to simulate the real test conditions so I don't really care about those results). Verbal was the most accurate for me as I scored 82% on that section on the real thing, right in the middle of that bracket in the practice. Bio I scored right at 90, chem I scored lower at 78 and like I said, the easier chem stuff on these PTs definitely reflected in my score difference. Reading I did much, much better on the real PCAT at 83, because of reasons I mentioned above. Quantitative was accurate; though I did have the same problems as the practice with regards to running out of time. I'm surprised, I guessed 5 or so questions on the real PCAT and I managed a 94%.

I don't know how accurate projections are on the pcats and yes you really can't simulate the environment but I do believe that the practice is invaluable. The exposure can't hurt either way especially if you haven't ever taken the pcats.

For one, some sections (eg: Chemistry) had way too little focus on the organic stuff. Even if there were any questions on orgo, they were much too straightforward.

eeeh...so chem on the actual pcat is a lot harder than pearson's?! :eek:

Well, it is 60/40 general to organic chem on the PCAT. And keep in mind the practice tests are probably just compilations of the previous PCATs.

I wouldn't say the actual PCAT had too difficult of a level of chem though. More like I didn't put enough focus on organic chem.