Reality check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feel the need to relay real-life career prospects to pre-dental and maybe even dental students who are not yet aware of the circumstances of the dental profession. There are plenty of threads like the following in Dentaltown. These are just the ones I saw active today:

http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=2656&t=284350
http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=2656&t=283658
http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=2656&t=284305

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be biased or anything but... you're posting things all from the same person who is a self proclaimed: "Student Loan Planner" lol.

To those on SDN who don't have a dentaltown account...

Overall, he's saying that he estimates, on average, those who will graduate in 2021 will come out with 500-600k debt, which is true if we count interest.
He's also saying in comparison to average bachelors degree students who come out with 50k starting salaries, will have more net worth than a corporate dentist associate up until the year 2089, where they break even. He made a pretty nice chart (below). In comparison, he shows the net worth of a practice owner having more net worth than the regular student in 2046 (25 years since graduating dental school).

Though, there are some things you have to consider, the amount of debt paid off and how quickly you do so, as well as average salary. Also, you are assuming this bachelor's graduate is coming out with a pretty sweet job...

The take home story is that if you plan on making dentistry "worth it", don't stay in corporate dentistry forever, pay off your loans quick, and maybe don't rack up so much debt (not said, but implied). Also, if you compare yourself to graduate with just a bachelors, you might find yourself feelin' pretty sad... especially if they have a nice job in this economy.

dentist_vs_engineer_309.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
I'll be coming out with half that number thanks to some outside help. This is provided I get ZERO scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, where are you applying for scholarships?

They post university based scholarships on their website. Its specific to each school and availability can change every year. Some schools don't offer them.

So, how did the college grad went from earning 50k to 423k?

Well, I think this only looks bad for people who are pursuing Dentistry for the wrong reasons. :rolleyes:

LOL there's so many flaws with that table.

First of all, I doubt 75% of 2021 graduates will even live until 2080.

Next, how did the salary for the undergrad-only person jump from $143,221.01 to $453,584.79? As a matter of fact, how did even get to $143k in the first place..most undergrad degrees will have you stagnant at a max of $75k for life unless you pursue further education.

The practice owner salary is way too high. Sure, that might be the total income of the practice itself, but who's gonna pay all your employees and pay for all the costs to keep the practice up and running?

That 500k debt number also seems to be on the high side, but I won't argue with that too much since who knows how much they'll hike tuition in the next couple years.

Overall, this is a poor attempt at fear-mongering, which would only affect people who were pursuing dentistry as a get-rich-quick scheme.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
LOL there's so many flaws with that table.

First of all, I doubt 75% of 2021 graduates will even live until 2080.

Next, how did the salary for the undergrad-only person jump from $143,221.01 to $453.584.79? As a matter of fact, how did even get to $143k in the first place..most undergrad degrees will have you stagnant at a max of $75k for life unless you pursue further education.

The practice owner salary is way too high. Sure, that might be the total income of the practice itself, but who's gonna pay all your employees and pay for all the costs to keep the practice up and running?

That 500k debt number also seems to be on the high side, but I won't argue with that too much since who knows how much they'll hike tuition in the next couple years.

Overall, this is a poor attempt at fear-mongering, which would only affect people who were pursuing dentistry as a get-rich-quick scheme.
Couldn't agree more!

The more and more people post DT threads on SDN, the more I'm feeling people just enjoy fear mongering and discouraging others from pursuing this field.

I know it's important to be realistic, but come on, we get it.

Reactions: 1 user